Author Topic: What Tights?  (Read 2069 times)

What Tights?
« on: 15 November, 2011, 10:21:34 pm »
I'm looking for some tights - regular ones, rather than bibs. I was about to buy some Lusso Max Pepel, when I noticed that they're a Roubaix material. I'd previously bought some Lusso Super Roubaix bibs, which apart from getting the size wrong, I never liked the look of the material, esp with the light grey Roubaix showing through the black :facepalm: . I seemed to recall they could be a bit warm too.

My first tights were Endura Multi Use* and they're still going strong. I really like the material of these (thick with ok wind resistance and they haven't bobbled), the fit is ok leg wise, but they are terrible at staying put (I mod'd them with a draw cord). Is that the cost to pay for using none bib tights?

So, should I go for the devil I know? Or max Repel - is it a good durable material? Or are there better - for £40 or less?

*I can't believe that I paid about £34 for these in 2004. Yet they're still that price today. Strange.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Re: What Tights?
« Reply #1 on: 15 November, 2011, 11:17:43 pm »
Or Aldi running tights for £5.99 ?  :)
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #2 on: 15 November, 2011, 11:36:45 pm »
There is no grey in my Lusso Max Repel bib tights, apart from the stiching.  They are warm.  That's what I got them for: wamth.  Should be durable too.

I would have thought the non-bib versions are the same colour.  Lusso does change its designs from time to time though, while keeping the same names.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #3 on: 16 November, 2011, 09:19:28 am »
I have 3 pairs of Lusso Roubaix bibs, and they are grey on the inside. Can't see the inside when I'm wearing them!

They are warm, fit well, hard-wearing and probably the best VFM in all the cycling clothing I've ever bought - my last pair were £32-something with a 5 or 10% off deal at Ribble. Oh, and Lusso replaced the zips on two pairs for me, free of charge.  :thumbsup:

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #4 on: 16 November, 2011, 09:31:24 am »
... the fit is ok leg wise, but they are terrible at staying put (I mod'd them with a draw cord). Is that the cost to pay for using none bib tights?

So, should I go for the devil I know? Or max Repel - is it a good durable material? Or are there better - for £40 or less?

Bibs weren't created for their looks - they just fit better!

My Lusso waist tights (note the correct jargon for non-bibs!) stay up on me ok, but I think it depends on your er ... shape. Many find waist-bands cut into them. i only wear the waist tights on longer rides where they might be coming on and off at various stages.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #5 on: 16 November, 2011, 09:47:04 am »
A good alternative to tights when it's chilly but not very cold are non-skin-tight thin cycling trousers.

It's no good recommending the ones I bought ages ago - so does anyone have up-to-date recommendations for this sort of thing?

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #6 on: 16 November, 2011, 09:57:57 am »
I find the Ground Effect tights extremely warm and comfortable

« Reply #8 on: 16 November, 2011, 01:29:02 pm »
Thanks for the suggestions so far.

Numbnuts - very interesting websites :P. There's obviously different ways to use tights, or rather, different tights that could be used for cycling. Eminently practical, I'm sure :)

MattC - I didn't think that waist tights would ever be preferable to bibs on long rides. What ones are you using? They must be comfortable for that kind of use. I use bibs on longer rides, but I want these waist tights for general use, on and off the bike.

I imagine that a thick/wide elastic waist would be more comfortable. Are there any like this? My endura's have a weaselly thin bit of elastic, which does tend to dig in. Well it does with my extra draw string, which is preferable to them being around my ankles. I find that if I use padded shorts (not always), that I have to turn the waist of these down a bit, which helps prevent the tights waistband from sliding over the lycra.

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #9 on: 16 November, 2011, 01:48:39 pm »
Ronhill Bikesters? Not too warm, and fairly cheap. Though they are not exactly tights, but are a fairly slim fit. They have a drawcord on the waist.

« Reply #10 on: 16 November, 2011, 02:50:22 pm »
My ShuttVR Roubaix bibs are on the way.. after the rather chilly devils punch sportive and last nights ride.. I'll risk them being too warm :)

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #11 on: 16 November, 2011, 05:46:43 pm »
I recently ordered some Lusso coolmax waist tights xl , clearance from Bike plus for £20 +p+p, But after 3 days I got a phone call from the shop, they were plum out of XL's BUT they offered me a pair of new 2005 stock, lusso coolmax bibs in stead for................... wait for it.................£10 posted :o :o  :thumbsup:

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #12 on: 16 November, 2011, 05:52:47 pm »
Yo Yo Stumpage!, is there any grey in what you got?  Yo Crepello would like to know.  He don' like grey.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #13 on: 16 November, 2011, 05:55:28 pm »
Ronhill Bikesters? Not too warm, and fairly cheap. Though they are not exactly tights, but are a fairly slim fit. They have a drawcord on the waist.

That the sort of thing I wear during Autumn and Spring (when not in civvies) - the inbetweeny weather when you want to keep the chill off, but don't want the insulation from stuff right on your skin.

(It's another brand in my case; can't remember; possibly Altura).

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #14 on: 16 November, 2011, 07:18:40 pm »

MattC - I didn't think that waist tights would ever be preferable to bibs on long rides. What ones are you using? They must be comfortable for that kind of use. I use bibs on longer rides, but I want these waist tights for general use, on and off the bike.

Standard Lussos. (Ive got Lusso Max Repel bibs too, which are fine.)

What I meant was long rides where the temperature changes e.g. night-to-day! Much less faff than bibs to take off/on. But bibs are perfectly ok on such events. If the waist tights weren't comfy, I wouldn't wear them, despite the convenience. They probably don't cover the 'kidney area' all that well, but I don't notice that until the weather is really cold.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

PeteT

« Reply #15 on: 16 November, 2011, 08:17:39 pm »
I tend to use waist tights with the elastic removed from the waist, and held up by standard clip-on trouser braces. Also tend to use waist shorts with the same set up; due to my stumpiness, I find that most bib tights don't fit me very well, but the braces/elastic removal combo works OK (and seems to have worked out cheaper in the long run).

« Reply #16 on: 16 November, 2011, 08:45:46 pm »
Yes, I did look into the idea of using braces some time back. I may buy some to experiment with.

Lusso tights - so if the Max Repel are Roubaix backed, is there any difference from the Super Roubaix, apart from a teflon treatment?

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #17 on: 17 November, 2011, 06:34:28 pm »
Yo Yo Stumpage!, is there any grey in what you got?  Yo Crepello would like to know.  He don' like grey.

No grey, black bibs, with a blue edging on the bib straps. they're great, but my legs must belong to a girraffe as I have to unship the stirrupps, 'else they pull down a bit. :thumbsup:

rower40

• Not my boat. Now sold.
« Reply #18 on: 17 November, 2011, 06:46:17 pm »
The young lady in the reserved seat next to mine on the Stoke to Milton Keynes Pendolino had the most intruiging tights on.

They looked like stockings and suspenders, being printed black on opaque flesh-coloured material.

A bit like these.

Not sure if you've got the legs for them...
Be Naughty; save Santa a trip