Author Topic: Invicta 300 Roll Call  (Read 8077 times)

Martin

Invicta 300 Roll Call
« on: 01 April, 2008, 05:42:54 pm »
err, Me

is it OK to crash outside the hall in the car the night before? (The Fairies Flat had an 0200 start for PBP conditioning purposes and I can understand why this one starts so early but no point making it even harder by lack of sleep)

the first person to say "no but it's OK to crash whilst driving out of the hall in the car the night after" gets a freddered star  :)

Re: Invicta 300 Roll Call
« Reply #1 on: 01 April, 2008, 05:56:09 pm »
Not me, can't be done with crazy start times.

Martin

« Reply #2 on: 01 April, 2008, 05:59:10 pm »
Hello Pat; are there any yacf Audaxing refusniks left?

« Reply #3 on: 01 April, 2008, 07:41:46 pm »
One thing that throws me whilst migrating between the two forums is the use of the 24 hour clock on ACF and the 12 hour clock here.

Martin

« Reply #4 on: 01 April, 2008, 08:09:13 pm »
One thing that throws me whilst migrating between the two forums is the use of the 24 hour clock on ACF and the 12 hour clock here.

I brought this up yesterday; you can change it in your profile under Look and Layout Perferences, go for Army Time

SimonB

« Reply #5 on: 02 April, 2008, 11:31:47 am »
is it OK to crash outside the hall in the car the night before?

Should be; I slept in the playing field last year.

Bit cold, mind.

The Fairies Flat had an 0200 start for PBP conditioning purposes

Really? I thought it was so Granddad could get home at a reasonable hour.

« Reply #6 on: 02 April, 2008, 11:36:14 am »
The Fairies Flat had an 0200 start for PBP conditioning purposes

Really? I thought it was so Granddad could get home at a reasonable hour.

Exactly, by having it finish roughly at the same time as the 200km ride. I did enjoy that early morning 100km blat (despite the rain).
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

SimonB

« Reply #7 on: 02 April, 2008, 12:11:40 pm »
Exactly, by having it finish roughly at the same time as the 200km ride. I did enjoy that early morning 100km blat (despite the rain).

Me too, I was first back to base, chasing a group of imaginary riders.

They'd dropped me -- somewhat rudely I felt (having dragged them across the Marsh in the wind) -- when I stopped to examine a rubbing brake pad. So I committed to chasing them down before Tenterden. Only, they'd missed the turning for the Smallhythe road and carried on along the main drag.

What an excellent road that is over Oxney.

Things went rapidly downhill after that, with 3 (three!) punctures...

Martin

« Reply #8 on: 02 April, 2008, 12:24:00 pm »
Me too, I was first back to base, chasing a group of imaginary riders.

I must introduce you to the (one time) MSH reigning champion  ;) mind you you'd have had your work cut out to beat 3.58 last year (although strangely none of that group inc. a VC Deal got the stonkingly obvious - to me anyway- last info)

Talikng of imaginary things I saw a cow standing by the side of the road about to walk out in front of me after Rye; which turned out to be 2 bin bags. I feel a bit mifed at not experiencing the full LSD hallucinatory thang on PBP; the nearest was waking up in Loudeac on the 2nd morning wondering WTF I or indeed anyone else was doing there.

Julian

• samoture
« Reply #9 on: 02 April, 2008, 01:26:34 pm »
I shall be there.  :)

Martin

« Reply #10 on: 02 April, 2008, 01:31:22 pm »
I shall be there.  :)

have you had a route sheet yet?

I will take a definite rain check on this ride and go for the Hailsham the week after instead if it looks anything like as wet as The Dean

Julian

• samoture
« Reply #11 on: 02 April, 2008, 01:33:59 pm »
Not yet, but I only sent my entry off last week, so I'm not expecting it yet. 

I really enjoyed the Invicta rides last year, so I will be doing it rain or shine. 

Martin

« Reply #12 on: 02 April, 2008, 01:37:14 pm »
It does look like a classic (have wanted to do it since Rob devised it; very much along the lines of El Supremo's old 300 that went to Beachy Head). Real Life will probably prevent me doing the Hailsham (which is apparently based around Andy Seviour's old ride to Winchester)

Rob

« Reply #13 on: 03 April, 2008, 12:46:24 pm »
It does look like a classic (have wanted to do it since Rob devised it; very much along the lines of El Supremo's old 300 that went to Beachy Head). Real Life will probably prevent me doing the Hailsham (which is apparently based around Andy Seviour's old ride to Winchester)

Hello.....over here now.   Not sure how many entries there are now, but it was single figures last week.   There's 4 and a bit of us at Ringmer to do the food so we should manage (the bit may not be very helpful, though).

Martin

« Reply #14 on: 03 April, 2008, 01:04:56 pm »

Hello.....over here now.   Not sure how many entries there are now, but it was single figures last week.   There's 4 and a bit of us at Ringmer to do the food so we should manage (the bit may not be very helpful, though).

hello Rob, you're looking younger every day; I PM'd Barry through the old site to check he got my entry, can you check I'm among the exclusive few thanks?  any chance of a route sheet by e-mail?

interesting seeing the low number of entries; 60 finishers last year (obviously in PBP year) 37 in 2006 of which about half went on to PBP 2007

I presume it's normal

Rob

« Reply #15 on: 03 April, 2008, 01:32:53 pm »

hello Rob, you're looking younger every day; I PM'd Barry through the old site to check he got my entry, can you check I'm among the exclusive few thanks?  any chance of a route sheet by e-mail?

interesting seeing the low number of entries; 60 finishers last year (obviously in PBP year) 37 in 2006 of which about half went on to PBP 2007

I presume it's normal

I thought the picture was a bit better than the one of me looking like death as Loudeac.   I've sent Barry a mail and will let you know when he gets back to me.   At worst I can send you the one from 2006 as it's hardly changed.   I rode it from home as a permanent last year and the bit home from Ringmer was much tougher than I remember.

Martin

« Reply #16 on: 03 April, 2008, 01:41:03 pm »
Thanks; I assume it's much the same as this

http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/Invicta-300

I only need the bit around Thanet and  from Ivy Hatch to the finish as the rest is familiar El Supremo and indeed my own territory.

Rob

« Reply #17 on: 03 April, 2008, 01:52:25 pm »
Thanks; I assume it's much the same as this

http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/Invicta-300

I only need the bit around Thanet and  from Ivy Hatch to the finish as the rest is familiar El Supremo and indeed my own territory.

Ah......the bit back from Edenbridge hooks onto my old National 400 route (the parcel shelf event).   So if you still have that, the route is identical.   Just go straight on past Wrotham school and onto the A road to Meopham.

Rob

« Reply #18 on: 03 April, 2008, 03:44:38 pm »
Just heard from Barry.   19 entries so far.

Martin, your entry is in and I have e-mailed you the routesheet.

Martin

« Reply #19 on: 03 April, 2008, 03:47:22 pm »

Ah......the bit back from Edenbridge hooks onto my old National 400 route (the parcel shelf event). 

aah; on the parcel shelf event I was transmissionally challenged up Ide Hill so was left behing by my ride mate to the extent that I missed the turning past the top of Yorkshill, by the time I realised  (on autopilot by then) I was back on the A25 so went all the way back to Wrotham on it (despite being in fear of certain death having forgotten my h*****t too that weekend)

Rob

« Reply #20 on: 03 April, 2008, 04:19:16 pm »

Ah......the bit back from Edenbridge hooks onto my old National 400 route (the parcel shelf event). 

aah; on the parcel shelf event I was transmissionally challenged up Ide Hill so was left behing by my ride mate to the extent that I missed the turning past the top of Yorkshill, by the time I realised  (on autopilot by then) I was back on the A25 so went all the way back to Wrotham on it (despite being in fear of certain death having forgotten my h*****t too that weekend)

The alternative route is much nicer, if a little more scenic.

Martin

« Reply #21 on: 07 April, 2008, 09:35:28 pm »
Weather forecast for the Saturday is exactly the same as the rest of the week. But we should get blown around the first third.

Rob

« Reply #22 on: 08 April, 2008, 08:40:03 am »
21 entries as of yesterday.   Will be buying the food for Ringmer on Friday when I have 'final' numbers.

Martin

« Reply #23 on: 10 April, 2008, 10:07:15 am »
Got my paper route sheet yesterday; the hall is open from 00.00 so I'll be taking a camp bed and a sleeping bag for a few hours.

Julian

• samoture
« Reply #24 on: 10 April, 2008, 02:51:38 pm »
Weather forecast for the Saturday is exactly the same as the rest of the week. But we should get blown around the first third.

:D