Author Topic: Android route-planning app with GPX export function?  (Read 1799 times)

Android route-planning app with GPX export function?
« on: 26 March, 2019, 04:54:12 pm »
Is there an Android app that allows you to plan and create a route (using on/off-line mapping) and then export it in GPX format so it can be transferred to a Wahoo Bolt (perhaps via RideWithGPS?)?

I've found myself wanting to change pre-planned routes when abroad but can't find a way to get them onto the Bolt using only a mobile.
The sound of one pannier flapping

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: Android route-planning app with GPX export function?
« Reply #1 on: 26 March, 2019, 05:04:08 pm »
OSMAnd+ and Viewranger will both allow you to create a GPX file containing a Route (and presumably Waypoints, and Tracks recorded in the app, though I've not had reason to experiment with those), which I've used to good effect mid-tour before.  No idea how you'd get that onto a Bolt, with a Garmin you just plug it in with an OTG adaptor and copy the file across to the USB-storage device using your file manager app of choice.

« Reply #2 on: 26 March, 2019, 05:07:21 pm »
Thanks Kim.  Just checked and the Wahoo Elemnt app allows you to import GPX files which can then be sent to the Bolt so just the planning/creating bit needed.  Will check out OSMAnd+ and Viewranger.

pdm

• Sheffield hills? Nah... Just potholes.
« Reply #3 on: 26 March, 2019, 07:14:24 pm »
Another way:
If you access your account on the Ride With GPS website from your android phone, it will allow you to create routes on screen. Once created, they will automagically be available to sync to your Bolt.

« Reply #4 on: 26 March, 2019, 07:20:52 pm »
Another way:
If you access your account on the Ride With GPS website from your android phone, it will allow you to create routes on screen. Once created, they will automagically be available to sync to your Bolt.

Ah, interesting.  That would be ideal as I plan all my routes on RideWithGPS (desktop) before exporting to Wahoo. 

I spent a good while studying the app when abroad but couldn't see any way to plot routes, even when logged in to my account.  It there a tutorial or how-to knocking around online anywhere?

pdm

• Sheffield hills? Nah... Just potholes.
« Reply #5 on: 26 March, 2019, 08:18:50 pm »
You need to use the website to plan routes,  not the app. Open the website from the phone's browser and sign in.
Planning on the web site on your phone is exactly the same as using the website on your PC browser, just a bit more fiddly with the smaller screen. You have to zoom in and out a lot more....

« Reply #6 on: 26 March, 2019, 08:20:33 pm »
You need to use the website to plan routes,  not the app. Open the website from the phone's browser.
Planning on the web site on your phone is exactly the same as on your PC....

Ah, got you.  Will give it a go.

Just tested - works a charm! Excellent.  Thanks pdm.