Author Topic: Wessex SR 2013 - 6th April - 8th June 2013  (Read 72846 times)

Plodder

• More of a lurker than a poster!
Re: Wessex SR 2013 - 6th April - 8th June 2013
« Reply #350 on: 28 May, 2013, 04:13:55 pm »
I don't have a stamp for your Brevet cards so I'll be using my daughter's animal stickers. 

Is it just me..... but I have read this four times and still see something else written.  :-[

H

Yes, it's just you. But who's surprised?  ???
The Portsmouth Wednesday Night Pub Ride Group - "a drinking club with a cycling problem".

WyOwyvern

• Trolling along on the crest . . . . . .
« Reply #351 on: 03 June, 2013, 06:30:39 am »
BRIMSTONE

Route Check report:
 :) GPX files are accurate.
 :( Route sheet ammended: minor alteration after West Tytherley on phase one. The lane sign name (The Warren)has been removed leaving two concrete stumps where it used to be. This R turn is sign posted The Wallops

Thanks are due to AndyP for route checking exploits/duties. :thumbsup:

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #352 on: 03 June, 2013, 07:56:45 am »
Superb news and thanks to andyp as well!

Just hoping for a rerun of the weather on the porkers.

Looking forward to this and completing this very fine series.
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

Hillbilly

« Reply #353 on: 03 June, 2013, 09:05:39 am »
Hasn't it come around fast?

Looking forward to a warm, but not too warm, weekend with a cheeky tailwind all the way round the course...

chillmoister

• King of Compton
« Reply #354 on: 03 June, 2013, 03:05:57 pm »
I'm going to make no comment about the weather at this point for fear of being the one who might jinx it!  However I am very excited about riding the final installment with the usual Wessex supects  :thumbsup:    see y'all for brekky  8)
appearing in a tea room near you

chillmoister

• King of Compton
« Reply #355 on: 05 June, 2013, 08:38:13 am »
it all gone very too quiet over here .....the 'fretting' levels are way too low  ;)

Hillbilly

« Reply #356 on: 05 June, 2013, 09:19:39 am »
*shrug*

It's only a bike ride .

:)

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #357 on: 05 June, 2013, 10:13:23 am »
Ah - not fretting - looking forward to it very much.  It has been an amazing experience so far - I've never ridden a whole series in a 'new' region and it has been a delight to explore the lanes and hills of Wessex!

Looks like there are 9 of us that should become Wessex Super Randonneurs on Sunday (and a couple of others who should become so later in the year having entered perms for those they missed/DNF'd etc.). 

See you all there!
Right! What's next?

chillmoister

• King of Compton
« Reply #358 on: 05 June, 2013, 10:32:55 am »
^^^  :thumbsup:

Pete Mas

• Don't Worry 'bout a thing...
« Reply #359 on: 05 June, 2013, 11:24:24 am »
Ah - not fretting - looking forward to it very much.  It has been an amazing experience so far - I've never ridden a whole series in a 'new' region and it has been a delight to explore the lanes and hills of Wessex!

I would suggest that all you guys new to Wessex (and surviving the experience.. ;)) try the SWAUK complete series next year. I have ridden both series this year, and its been superb. A lot of people seem to try the Kernow & SW 600k, but ALL of the Exeter wheelers Series is great, (for those with climbing legs) / those who enjoy great views..
''It is better to travel hopefully than to arrive."

R.L.Stevenson

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #360 on: 05 June, 2013, 11:28:42 am »

I would suggest that all you guys new to Wessex (and surviving the experience.. ;)) try the SWAUK complete series next year. I have ridden both series this year, and its been superb. A lot of people seem to try the Kernow & SW 600k, but ALL of the Exeter wheelers Series is great, (for those with climbing legs) / those who enjoy great views..

Maybe next year - it is quite a trek to manage the whole series from London, but I did have a few good memories of the K&SW last year buried deep in the horror of the night section's storms.....

I'd guess the use of perms and maybe doing the 2 and 3 on a single weekend might make it easier logistically, financially, domestically etc.

Anyway - it's still early, but promising looking weather - I just hope for a weekend of cycling fun that rivals that of the Porkers (one of the best rides I have ever done).

Right! What's next?

Pete Mas

« Reply #361 on: 05 June, 2013, 11:46:32 am »
Honiton, where the 200 and 300 (VOR & Old Roads) start, is not much further to travel. Cheap advance trains from SW Trains. There is a campsite, ask Hillbilly for details.

As for the Brimstone - I'm sure you will not be disappointed. There are many 'cheeky little (and not so little) climbs, of course, but judging from my perm experience last year, if you made it round the Porkers ok, all things being equal you should not fret - just enjoy the weekend. 8)

R.L.Stevenson

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #362 on: 05 June, 2013, 01:10:33 pm »

As for the Brimstone - I'm sure you will not be disappointed. There are many 'cheeky little (and not so little) climbs, of course, but judging from my perm experience last year, if you made it round the Porkers ok, all things being equal you should not fret - just enjoy the weekend. 8)

Absolutely  :thumbsup:

The most challenging section was from Beaminster-Exmouth however it would seem that Mrt Shaw has enlivened the next section with some extra views too.

Alas, Hummerellas wedding last weekend along with the stag party the weekend before has left me bereft of preparation so I expect this outing to be a bit of a puffer.  :sick:

H

« Reply #363 on: 05 June, 2013, 01:11:55 pm »
Well last year on the group perm there was a nice easterly breeze helping us along on the 190 km from Amport down to Exmouth. The sun made an appearance too. Possibly shaping up for a repeat this year?
Them aspirational WSRers never 'ad it so good!

LEE

« Reply #364 on: 05 June, 2013, 02:02:36 pm »
Looks like good weather for the whole ride.

20C in the afternoon and maybe dropping to around 10C overnight.

No frozen water-bottles at least.

See you all at Amport (Hawk Inn control) after 80k

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #365 on: 05 June, 2013, 03:51:21 pm »
Anyone in Poole on Friday night?  Suggestions for places to eat?  Anyone want to hook up for pre-ride carb-loading and hydration(non-alcholic for me)?

I'm in the worst-reviewed campsite in Poole - The Beacon Hill Touring Park - but as I am only actually sleeping there for 2 short nights, as long as it is relatively flat, quiet and has a shower; I don't care as it was about half the price of the other options I looked at for 3 nights.
Right! What's next?

« Reply #366 on: 05 June, 2013, 04:45:35 pm »
Mikey and I are staying at the Queen Mary on Friday night. My train is due in at 19.00 so will be dining there very shortly after that, you are welcome to join us.

Hillbilly

« Reply #367 on: 05 June, 2013, 05:08:02 pm »
Mikey and I are staying at the Queen Mary on Friday night.

Do you want/need instructions on how to get to the start?

« Reply #368 on: 05 June, 2013, 05:15:19 pm »
Mikey and I are staying at the Queen Mary on Friday night.

Do you want/need instructions on how to get to the start?

8)

I think it will be a bit like:

Descend "Stairs"
SO @ door marked "Bar"

Hillbilly

« Reply #369 on: 05 June, 2013, 05:20:10 pm »
A bit like Dante's Inferno:

"Descend to the mouth of hell, and abandon all hope ye who enter here"

Appropriate for such a hellish ride.

Pete Mas

« Reply #370 on: 05 June, 2013, 05:26:02 pm »
Anyone in Poole on Friday night?  Suggestions for places to eat?  Anyone want to hook up for pre-ride carb-loading and hydration(non-alcholic for me)?

I'm in the worst-reviewed campsite in Poole - The Beacon Hill Touring Park - but as I am only actually sleeping there for 2 short nights, as long as it is relatively flat, quiet and has a shower; I don't care as it was about half the price of the other options I looked at for 3 nights.

Laidback Rich and I are in the Shah of Persia - good menu options there! 2 for price of one mains, etc, I believe...

R.L.Stevenson

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #371 on: 05 June, 2013, 05:59:48 pm »

Laidback Rich and I are in the Shah of Persia - good menu options there! 2 for price of one mains, etc, I believe...

Postie and I are riding down from Pomey and are staying in a B&B.

Perhaps we should meet up  :thumbsup:

After all, what could possibly go wrong?

H

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #372 on: 05 June, 2013, 06:12:11 pm »
Food at the shah was pretty good. I like it as an option.
Right! What's next?

Pete Mas

« Reply #373 on: 06 June, 2013, 02:08:09 pm »
Don't forget to bring (and apply) your sunscreen - lots of pink parts at K&SW 600 last weekend. :o
Also, bring an extra gilet for the night riding.
Try to get a bit of extra sleep pre-ride (easier said than done).

Any other tips, guys?

R.L.Stevenson

« Reply #374 on: 06 June, 2013, 02:49:44 pm »
1. Check and double check before the ride that you know where the Tor Hole overnight control for weary randonneurs is located if you've not been there previously. Some riders were unable to find it last year. I won't mention names, ops sorry Parky!
2. As per Shawn's pep talk it's worth pocketing extra food at the Exmouth Tescos to reduce the spend at Taunton Deane.
3. Pace yourself on the big hills between Beaminster and Exmouth.