Author Topic: Interesting and Unusual Bikes You've Seen  (Read 638335 times)

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
Re: Interesting and Unusual Bikes You've Seen
« Reply #675 on: 24 November, 2010, 09:24:06 am »
Ah, that reminds me.  One thing I saw a couple of times in Berlin (but not, sadly, when I had my camera to hand) was cycling pubs.  That is, some kind of covered float with a bar on it, where the customers sat facing the bar and pedalled while they drank, with a (presumably sober) staff member steering at the front.  I'm guessing it was some kind of novelty service available for stag parties and the like.  Wish I'd caught it on camera.
I saw a pair of 'em in Düsseldorf in July

My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #676 on: 24 November, 2010, 09:31:39 am »
Hase = Hare
Lepus = Rabbit (Latin)
Wiesel = Weasel
Pino = ?
Trets = ?
Getting there...

« Reply #677 on: 24 November, 2010, 10:30:14 am »
Ah, that reminds me.  One thing I saw a couple of times in Berlin (but not, sadly, when I had my camera to hand) was cycling pubs.  That is, some kind of covered float with a bar on it, where the customers sat facing the bar and pedalled while they drank, with a (presumably sober) staff member steering at the front.  I'm guessing it was some kind of novelty service available for stag parties and the like.  Wish I'd caught it on camera.
I saw a pair of 'em in Düsseldorf in July

I've seen one in London going along Upper Ground behind the National Theatre.

They seem quite popular for stag-dos.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #678 on: 24 November, 2010, 10:33:26 am »
I saw the tandemming commuters again today, and felt very jealous.  I finally got to see what brand of bike it is.  It's a John Fern, but I'm none the wiser for that.
Getting there...

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #679 on: 24 November, 2010, 10:37:27 am »
Hase = Hare
Lepus = Rabbit (Latin)
Wiesel = Weasel
Pino = ?
Trets = ?
Pino and Trets not in my exhaustive German dictionary although they might be Umgangssprache.
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

« Reply #680 on: 24 November, 2010, 11:15:19 am »
Google Translate isn't a lot better assuming that they're German, but if you tell it to translate from Latin, it reckons that Trets is "Shall go through", which is interesting, and not entirely implausible.  It still doesn't help with Pino however.  It also suggests "Features" for Trets, if it's in Catalan, but that sounds less likely.
Actually, it is rocket science.

« Reply #681 on: 24 November, 2010, 11:23:05 am »
Pino

LanguageTranslation
FilipinoRefined
FinishStack
GalicianPin
PortuguesePin

All from Google Translate, so make of that what you will!
Actually, it is rocket science.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #682 on: 24 November, 2010, 11:24:49 am »
Dang!  No animal link then.  My theory hits a wall of FAIL
Getting there...

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #683 on: 24 November, 2010, 01:51:18 pm »
Dang!  No animal link then.  My theory hits a wall of FAIL
Well I always assumed there was some animal link because of Hase and Lepus so it's not just you!

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #684 on: 24 November, 2010, 03:30:54 pm »
A 1908 Centaur, with interesting double-stays and acetylene lamps. Still ridden on a regular basis - I was able to speak to the owner.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

itsbruce

• Lavender Bike Menace
« Reply #685 on: 25 November, 2010, 02:08:14 pm »
Well, he bought it.  And it's all my fault :)

I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by madness, starving hysterical naked: Allen Ginsberg
The best minds of my generation are thinking about how to make people click ads: Jeff Hammerbacher

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #686 on: 25 November, 2010, 02:11:58 pm »

Is that one of those city bikes with the built in lights? What's it like as a bike (i.e. to ride etc)?
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #687 on: 27 November, 2010, 05:00:07 pm »
Google Translate isn't a lot better assuming that they're German, but if you tell it to translate from Latin, it reckons that Trets is "Shall go through", which is interesting, and not entirely implausible.  It still doesn't help with Pino however.  It also suggests "Features" for Trets, if it's in Catalan, but that sounds less likely.

Except that being a two wheeler recumbent trailerbike, it should more propery be "Shall go through unless it's a Sustrans path with bloody anti-motorbike gates".

Unless it's the one at the end of the Stamford Bridge Viaduct, in which case it would be one of a very few vehicles that proably can go through without stopping, (and that includes my Catrike, but none of my uprights)...
If I had a baby elephant, it could help me wash the car. If I had a car.

See my recycled crafts at www.wastenotwantit.co.uk

« Reply #688 on: 27 November, 2010, 05:19:02 pm »

i saw one of those in the new bike shop in cambridge - unbelivably ugly!!  It looked like it had a built in lock between the top tube and down tube, but that doesnt seem to have it..

itsbruce

• Lavender Bike Menace
« Reply #689 on: 28 November, 2010, 02:05:29 am »
Is that one of those city bikes with the built in lights? What's it like as a bike (i.e. to ride etc)?

It's a Van Moof no. 3, yes. Coaster brakes, 3 speed hub gear, integrated solar powered lights, 28 inch wheels. Mike, the one with the built-in lock is the no. 5, which truly is even uglier because of the extra tube to house the Abus chain.

The ride is actually very good; the frame is light, which combines with the huge wheels to make it easy to control and speedier than you would think. Dorky it may look, but it is fun to ride.
I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by madness, starving hysterical naked: Allen Ginsberg
The best minds of my generation are thinking about how to make people click ads: Jeff Hammerbacher

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #690 on: 28 November, 2010, 11:33:07 pm »
Mrs Torslanda, of the horned helmet and heavy metal breastplate, has just branded them thus: not bicycles, just pieces of tube welded together.

Possibly the most expensive BSOs on sale . . .
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #691 on: 29 November, 2010, 10:24:19 am »
Not at all.  Any BSO with a car brand name on (B*W, Porsche, Mercedes etc) tends to be more expensive, and even more BSOish...
Getting there...

itsbruce

• Lavender Bike Menace
« Reply #692 on: 29 November, 2010, 10:50:27 am »
Mrs Torslanda, of the horned helmet and heavy metal breastplate, has just branded them thus: not bicycles, just pieces of tube welded together.

Possibly the most expensive BSOs on sale . . .

Have to disagree with that.  They are undeniably ugly, but that's not the
definition of a BSO.  They ride well and are soundly constructed.  They are "fashion" bikes (who ever said fashion ever had to look good?)

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #693 on: 29 November, 2010, 10:54:22 am »
I missed seeing a Pedersen this morning, which ChrisL had spotted. :(

On the other hand, riding with the group on Saturday round the (cold) art deco delights of West London, we had, inter alia, a smart 1938 Rudge roadster, with deep mudguards, a nice Perry, an old skool Spesh Hard Rock and some others which I will recall eventually.
Getting there...

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #694 on: 05 December, 2010, 04:03:18 pm »
A rather nice looking Harry Quinn just missed me running into me on College Green.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

itsbruce

• Lavender Bike Menace
« Reply #695 on: 05 December, 2010, 05:10:26 pm »
Spotted a vintage Moulton "New Look" Standard on Meard Street, today.

Oh, I see I also spotted my thumb.

« Reply #696 on: 06 December, 2010, 09:20:54 am »
Maybe not ones I've seen, but some certainly worthy of inclusion here

Photography at Sur Place exhibition at Mediamatic on the Behance Network

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #697 on: 06 December, 2010, 09:24:25 am »
itsbruce, that looks very small to me.
Getting there...

itsbruce

• Lavender Bike Menace
« Reply #698 on: 06 December, 2010, 11:44:49 am »
It was a dinky little bike, yes.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #699 on: 06 December, 2010, 12:28:45 pm »
It is a Moulton Mini with 14" wheels, rather than the 16" wheels of the other F-frames.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...