Author Topic: Offa's Dyke 600 4/7  (Read 15563 times)

Offa's Dyke 600 4/7
« on: 17 June, 2009, 11:36:21 am »
I'm entered.  Goes back to base at 370k, so great chance for a fast 2/3 then sleep, change clothes etc ...or so the plan goes.  Anyone else riding this?

Euan Uzami

Re: Offa's Dyke 600 4/7
« Reply #1 on: 17 June, 2009, 12:48:07 pm »
I'm entered.  Goes back to base at 370k, so great chance for a fast 2/3 then sleep, change clothes etc ...or so the plan goes.  Anyone else riding this?
yep, I am. Looking forward to it!  :D Quite intrepid about it 'cos it's a hard one and not to be underestimated but at the end of the day it's only a bike ride and it's not like there's no bail options - can only give it a bash and see how far i get!
apparently the second day goes over this  :o wonder whether you can ride it?
quite like the fact it goes back to the start after 370k to allow for sleep. I'm hopefully sleeping in upton magna village hall on the friday night as well.

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #2 on: 17 June, 2009, 12:57:39 pm »

I think you could but with care to avoid an early bath

JohnHamilton

« Reply #3 on: 17 June, 2009, 01:01:09 pm »

I really wouldn't try it. What isn't obvious until you really look closely is that the towpath is cantilevered out over the water. Heard about someone who tried it and fell in somewhere near the middle. Had to walk all the way to the end to the solid bank before he was able to get out. It's over 1000 yards long so that's a long way in freezing cold water (this was January).

Trust me. It looks an awful lot narrower when you're on it with a 120m drop on either side (and no railing on the water side). And I would rather not have to put "fell in canal" on my accident report.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #4 on: 17 June, 2009, 01:05:36 pm »
This could open a whole new avenue into the minimum-distance/contours/AAA/cheating debate ...
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Euan Uzami

« Reply #5 on: 17 June, 2009, 01:05:46 pm »

I really wouldn't try it. What isn't obvious until you really look closely is that the towpath is cantilevered out over the water. Heard about someone who tried it and fell in somewhere near the middle. Had to walk all the way to the end to the solid bank before he was able to get out. It's over 1000 yards long so that's a long way in freezing cold water (this was January).
:o

it does look fairly narrow anyway.
And more than likely a great view so you'd not mind taking your time.
Just glad there's a barrier on the non-canal side!

vistaed

• Everyday stories
« Reply #6 on: 17 June, 2009, 04:00:18 pm »
I'm thinking about doing it, but I'm waiting until next week before I enter. I've a 24hr mtb race this coming weekend and don't know how much it will beat me up? The Offa's Dyke would be my last long ride before LEL, and my first 600km after a failed BCM.

That Aqueduct would be fun with a strong side wind!
after hardship comes ease -
 www.strava.com/athletes/188220

« Reply #7 on: 17 June, 2009, 05:02:59 pm »
I'm entered...Anyone else riding this?

Bad news, I'll be there.

Goes back to base at 370k, so great chance for a fast 2/3...

I'm pretty sure it's not that kind of route. ::-) Survival is my plan. Fast may come later as a bonus. I'll have the 24T chainring that got me up the Devil's Staircase just to be on the safe side.

« Reply #8 on: 17 June, 2009, 08:50:41 pm »

I'm pretty sure it's not that kind of route. ::-) Survival is my plan. Fast may come later as a bonus. I'll have the 24T chainring that got me up the Devil's Staircase just to be on the safe side.

It's a route to be savoured. Tougher than the Bryan Chapman and a lot more lanesey. Very good though.
It was a tough decision to ride the Dun Run instead of this. But I've ridden plenty of Audax and no Dun Run.
This is a very good ride. I'd say it's easily my favourite 600 on the calendar and one of my all time favourite 600s.

« Reply #9 on: 17 June, 2009, 09:18:15 pm »
23mm tyres and carbon bike or 28mm steel tourer?

JohnHamilton

« Reply #10 on: 17 June, 2009, 09:32:50 pm »

It's a route to be savoured. Tougher than the Bryan Chapman and a lot more lanesey. Very good though.
It was a tough decision to ride the Dun Run instead of this. But I've ridden plenty of Audax and no Dun Run.
This is a very good ride. I'd say it's easily my favourite 600 on the calendar and one of my all time favourite 600s.

Ah but this lot here have all gone for the new wimpiertoned down version. It's rather less laney than the original (and 1,000m less climbing) apart from the second last leg back from Prestatyn to the Horseshoe Pass.

The catch... Minimum speed of 15kph instead of 14.3 for the original so nearly 3 hours less to do it in (and most of the field needed that extra 3 hours last year). You pay your money and take your choice.

If anyone feels they've entered the wrong event it's not too late to change your mind :demon:

See here for ride reports from last year http://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=5971.0

« Reply #11 on: 17 June, 2009, 09:42:08 pm »
Is there any hall space the night before Irish Mail style? My usual tardiness means I have no digs yet for Friday night and I think the drive from Dorset will be a bit much on Saturday morning.

JohnHamilton

« Reply #12 on: 17 June, 2009, 09:58:30 pm »
Is there any hall space the night before Irish Mail style? My usual tardiness means I have no digs yet for Friday night and I think the drive from Dorset will be a bit much on Saturday morning.
Yep. Same arrangements as the 400. In the hall or camp outside. Hall is booked for Sunday night as well if needed.

« Reply #13 on: 17 June, 2009, 10:05:34 pm »
Ooops

Did this last year and really enjoyed it .  Going to do it again this year going to a bit of a challenge this year Glasgow all week before and then drive/ferry to Dublin on the Monday after.  Oh well its all good training for LEL.

Like all Johns rides I recommend it ! If you like hills  ;D

Bez

• Carpe Cerevisi.
« Reply #14 on: 17 June, 2009, 10:42:42 pm »
Ah but this lot here have all gone for the new wimpiertoned down version. It's rather less laney than the original (and 1,000m less climbing) apart from the second last leg back from Prestatyn to the Horseshoe Pass.

The catch... Minimum speed of 15kph instead of 14.3 for the original so nearly 3 hours less to do it in (and most of the field needed that extra 3 hours last year). You pay your money and take your choice.

If anyone feels they've entered the wrong event it's not too late to change your mind :demon:

Just an idle enquiry as I haven't entered yet but is the route for the last 230km identical for both the 'toned down' version and the original?

Chris N

« Reply #15 on: 18 June, 2009, 08:45:25 am »
Aw man, I'm so tempted to enter this now my legs have recovered from the Irish Mail. :-\

Chris S

« Reply #16 on: 18 June, 2009, 08:47:11 am »
Aw man, I'm so tempted to enter this now my legs have recovered from the Irish Mail. :-\

Ha! Hooked.

Another future inmate at Madam Pain's Randonneur rehab clinic  :)

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #17 on: 18 June, 2009, 09:15:11 am »

Me too but my guttering beckons

JohnHamilton

« Reply #18 on: 18 June, 2009, 09:59:54 am »

Me too but my guttering beckons

You know you want to. Last chance for a couple of years. I won't be running this next year.

JohnHamilton

« Reply #19 on: 18 June, 2009, 10:01:29 am »
Just an idle enquiry as I haven't entered yet but is the route for the last 230km identical for both the 'toned down' version and the original?

Very nearly but not quite. The easy version omits the climb of the Panorama Road and the Old Horseshoe in favour of the main road run up the New Horseshoe from Llangollen.

« Reply #20 on: 18 June, 2009, 10:34:43 am »

Do it. On a ride this hilly there's no way I'll keep up with Pumpe so I need a friend to listen to my BS at 2am. GSH and own teeth. Photo supplied.

Bez

• Carpe Cerevisi.
« Reply #21 on: 19 June, 2009, 10:50:04 pm »
Very nearly but not quite. The easy version omits the climb of the Panorama Road and the Old Horseshoe in favour of the main road run up the New Horseshoe from Llangollen.

I'm almost sold on the idea of entering :'( but which one to choose?

The easy one definitely sounds easier (compared to the harder one) but I could probably do with the almost 3 extra hours even though I'd use up much of that on the harder bits.

Any/ many entries for the Clawdd Offa yet? I don't fancy doing it by myself having seen the haunted look on the faces of many of the riders on the BCM Scenic compared to the happy faces on the BCM 2004.

JohnHamilton

« Reply #22 on: 20 June, 2009, 09:00:18 am »
Any/ many entries for the Clawdd Offa yet? I don't fancy doing it by myself having seen the haunted look on the faces of many of the riders on the BCM Scenic compared to the happy faces on the BCM 2004.

Roughly 60/40 split between the two. Slightly more for the Offa's Dyke but not by much. You can change your mind at any point up to 6am on the Saturday. Once you're started you're committed though.

« Reply #23 on: 20 June, 2009, 06:59:01 pm »
How many entries so far?

« Reply #24 on: 29 June, 2009, 03:47:12 pm »
Roll call and whos doing the Clawdd Offa  ::-)  I'm in

Joolz