Author Topic: Straight Outta Hackney  (Read 35787 times)

Jonah

• Audax Club Hackney
Re: Straight Outta Hackney
« Reply #200 on: 04 August, 2015, 08:43:00 am »
Must have been those pints of Trubador and the bike chat in the Salisbury Hotel?!  (Always seems to make time go quicker).  See you on Greenwich Mean Climb!

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #201 on: 04 August, 2015, 12:18:20 pm »
hotly pursued?

I was apparently an hour behind zig zag which must be the audax margin for a hot pursuit. I blame the traffic lights

all those traffic lights were a welcome break to have some food :thumbsup:

« Reply #202 on: 04 August, 2015, 06:27:40 pm »
A few More pictures from SOH have been added to the AC Hackney Facebook page.

Here

Jonah

• Audax Club Hackney
« Reply #203 on: 04 August, 2015, 08:01:03 pm »
Nice phots Sharpie!  I like the one in the 'Something Lovel Tea Rooms at Ride Hard's Puckeridge control

« Reply #204 on: 04 August, 2015, 09:04:16 pm »
Oh dear. How childish do you have to be to flick the Vs at the camera with both hands?

Anyway, damn fine ride. It was good last year, and possibly better this year, with highlights including a village hall control rather than [bus stop+pasting table], cinematic action from ESL, and EVEN MOAR BEER at the arrivee.

A wee bit of a late start for me (I was suitably chastised by bhoot) coupled with incompetence at reading the route sheet (I think my first wrong turn was 800m from the start) led to me doing evens up the A10 until I could cut across to the A1010 - that was enough of a shortcut to let me latch onto what I thought was the lead group once they overtook me somewhere north of Waltham Cross. (Of course, it wasn't the lead group at all - zigzag and hippy are clearly much faster than that ...)

Anyway, once I'd been spat out the back of said group I rode chunks of the route with, variously, rob, ludwig, George Hanna, and HowradMichello from YACF, with chats to citoyen and ESL at controls or along the route, and a puncture fettled at the cerise light terracotta salmon PINK post office.

It was mildly amusing to share the road, the rolling road to Puckeridge, with the Women's National 25: I did feel slightly guilty as I passed one of the competitors on a long downhill (I think she was a Youth, hence my feelings of guilt - plus I've got slightly greater body density), but everyone else on the course had shot past me with an appalling rumble of carbon rims.

Tea and cake at Puckeridge, then back into the urban sprawl leading us back to Harringay. I quite like audaxes that end up by letting you play with the traffic: it was a fun little finish back to the arrivee, no further scolding from bhoot, and more beer than I should have drunk before the ride home.

The only disappointment there was discovering that biermeister Jonah had got confused by the distinction between kegs and casks, so once the cask was finished the promised extra kegs didn't materialise, and we were forced to slake our thirst from bottles and cans. The selection more than made up for it though - and the food offered wasn't bad either.

When's next year's?

(Thanks, of course, to all of ACH who made this happen, and especially to Jonah and family for their hospitality at the end. Chapeau too to the junior barmaids, one of whom told me that she was giving me *this* beer, but that I wasn't to come back for any more because I was silly and so she wouldn't serve me again. With perception like that, she'll go far ...)

« Reply #205 on: 04 August, 2015, 09:19:43 pm »
Oh dear. How childish do you have to be to flick the Vs at the camera with both hands?

That's the next Arrivee cover sorted then.
“That slope may look insignificant, but it's going to be my destiny" - Fitzcarraldo

RideHard

• The London Grimpeur
  • ACH Organiser
    • Steam Rides & Chiltern Grimpeurs
« Reply #206 on: 04 August, 2015, 09:25:22 pm »
What can follow SOH  ???  The Good News is the new 300 : London-Cambridge-Oxford-London 'University Challenge' , on 19th Sept. 2015   http://aukweb.net/events/detail/15-607/  ;D

Steam Ride:London-Oxford-London (LOL) The Ghan reversed   on 5th Sepc. 2015
https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=84394.0
http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/15-600/  ;D

Ideal routes for v.fast fixie challenge,  ACH Controls and Pub Water's Edge arrivée    :thumbsup:

ACH SR: Dean 300; Steam Ride LOL 200; Quainton Express 100; University Challenge 600; London Circuit 400; C2C; Hadrian's Wall; Chiltern Pub Crawl; White Hart.   2022 AUK: ACH SR; Wessex SR; LEL; LeJog

« Reply #207 on: 10 August, 2015, 09:47:36 am »
I've got around to editing some of the footage. It's about PBP as well. It was striking how similar the terrain is to a lot of the PBP. jsabine has a cameo. I'll do something more general after PBP.
It's a pity that there's not more support for our PBP 'fast lads'. Hippy and Zigzag look like contenders.

https://youtu.be/XiBK9GTh7lY

« Reply #208 on: 10 August, 2015, 10:07:35 am »
^^^^^^^^ Excellent!
Eddington Number = 132

« Reply #209 on: 10 August, 2015, 04:37:07 pm »
Great work ESL!

I had a go at time lapse, but only managed to record up to the first control: http://youtu.be/gArBi4HEHmI - apologies for music choice, suppose anything is better than nothing!!

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #210 on: 10 August, 2015, 05:40:01 pm »
jsabine has a cameo.

I'm beginning to think he has some kind of Tourette's - it seems like every time he sees a camera...
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #211 on: 10 August, 2015, 06:52:27 pm »
Brilliant!

« Reply #212 on: 11 August, 2015, 12:50:47 am »
jsabine has a cameo.

I'm beginning to think he has some kind of Tourette's - it seems like every time he sees a camera...

I'm inspired by the portrait you choose to show ...

But - apart from my contribution - a really nice film. I enjoyed it all, bar about fifteen seconds of cringing.

Jonah

• Audax Club Hackney
« Reply #213 on: 24 August, 2015, 04:51:08 pm »
Thanks ESL - Ace film!

Jonah

• Audax Club Hackney
« Reply #214 on: 13 April, 2016, 03:44:21 pm »
Hello folks
this years event see's the inauguration of The Hackney City Fair - the event will have a distinctly country flavor to it as many of our members, including me, are from the country, Ivan is actually a gypsy would you  believe!?

At present we're in the research phase.  So far I've sampled

Lilley's Bee Sting Perry 7.5%
Oliver's OCLE PYCHARD 7.4%

Bowf of 'em 'ave blown moi sawcks ov I'c'n tell 'ee!

The former is ever-so slightly sweet with a more traditional finish; the later being a dryer and more challenging potion that's fcuking lovely

Next on the agenda will be Blandford Fly Beer as recently recommended by Mummy Jones - I was also a fan of 6X in my youth - I wonder if this is still available?

I would welcome any more tips or hints for our fair so please hit me with your favourite west country tipple and I'll get some in for the ACH Arrivee City Fair

« Reply #215 on: 13 April, 2016, 09:39:39 pm »
I'm partial to a bit of http://wilkinscider.com

'by the litre'

Jonah

• Audax Club Hackney
« Reply #216 on: 14 April, 2016, 02:20:28 pm »
Thanks - I'll get on the case - I'm also aware of Thatchers Cheddar Valley - Somerset does seem the place!

« Reply #217 on: 14 April, 2016, 03:16:00 pm »

I was also a fan of 6X in my youth - I wonder if this is still available?

No problem finding that on tap in Bristol pubs ...

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #218 on: 15 April, 2016, 01:48:20 am »
This always used to be good, though I've not had it for a while:

http://www.wyevalleybrewery.co.uk/ales/wye-valley-bitter/
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Jonah

• Audax Club Hackney
« Reply #219 on: 15 April, 2016, 02:07:52 pm »
Gadget and I got on the OCLE PYCHARD and Bee Sting Perry last night .
Gadget had to take today off work.
Northerners!?

« Reply #220 on: 15 April, 2016, 06:19:00 pm »
I thought proper west country cider was served out of a barrel in a barn by men who have an accent so thick (or who are so drunk) that understanding one word in five is but a hopeless dream.

« Reply #221 on: 15 April, 2016, 06:56:47 pm »
(...and neither "Ocle" nor "Pychard" are that one.)

Jonah

• Audax Club Hackney
« Reply #222 on: 15 April, 2016, 09:16:49 pm »
I thought proper west country cider was served out of a barrel in a barn by men who have an accent so thick (or who are so drunk) that understanding one word in five is but a hopeless dream.

That'll be Daddy Jones then (I escaped when I was 16)

Jonah

• Audax Club Hackney
« Reply #223 on: 15 April, 2016, 09:17:43 pm »
(...and neither "Ocle" nor "Pychard" are that one.)

Hertfordshire I do believe

Angstbremser

• Zwei Minuten einwirken lassen
  • not the nature of Audax
« Reply #224 on: 19 April, 2016, 07:33:24 pm »
Great work ESL!

I had a go at time lapse, but only managed to record up to the first control: http://youtu.be/gArBi4HEHmI - apologies for music choice, suppose anything is better than nothing!!

Smashing soundtrack. What is it?