Author Topic: Volenteers required - Monday 25th July 2016, Highlands, West coast & Glens.  (Read 16203 times)

Taking nothing for granted, but I'm sure there'll be enough cyclists.

What I'm really looking for are a few helpers to act as unsung heroes. The pay's rubbish, the weather has the usual BlackSheep guarantee. Food and somewhere to sleep available.

You will need to display flexibility, keep calm under stressful conditions, maintain an air of calm in a cauldron of chaos. There's likely to be all nationalities taking part, so all nationalities welcome.

For those that don't fit the bill, there's always this http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/16-392/ to put into your diaries.

It's coming home, It's coming home, It's coming, cycling's coming home. (you know the tune). So start singing
where you have a concentration of power in a few hands, all too frequently men with the mentality of gangsters get control. History has proven that. Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely.

Re: Monday 25th July 2016, Highlands, West coast & Glens.
« Reply #1 on: 09 March, 2015, 04:06:03 pm »
What dates would you require un-sung hero's for ?

Edit: If I booked the week off that would cover it.

Eddington Number 75

« Reply #2 on: 09 March, 2015, 04:24:37 pm »
Awesome news  :thumbsup:

If my body holds out, I'll be riding. Got to be in the top 3 rides this one and AUK is all the stronger for having it.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #3 on: 09 March, 2015, 05:41:59 pm »
What help are you after?
It is simpler than it looks.

iddu

• Are we there yet?
« Reply #4 on: 09 March, 2015, 07:43:25 pm »
Love to help you out - which way did you come in? ;)

Name on the list.
I'd offer you some moral support - but I have questionable morals.

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #5 on: 09 March, 2015, 08:45:00 pm »
If I'm free yes, difficult to be definite at this time as I don't know what my on-call commitment will be in 17 months time.

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #6 on: 09 March, 2015, 09:40:51 pm »
It's so far away in time, I have little concept of what I will be doing. 

I'm not one for repeating rides, but this was one of the best experiences on a bike ever.  I won't enter it in June though as I have some other options for 2016 that I hope to explore.  If that means I choose to do it and it's not possible, so be it.  I'd also be game for helping out and maybe doing a bit of touring up that way.  We'll see! 

This really was an amazing ride, you all saw the movie, you know what to expect!  It was pretty tough and for so many reasons; the terrain, the weather, the midges, the sparsity of facilities etc. 

I just hope we don't see as many DNS as last time - it's not a ride for everyone and I think you need to be pretty honest with yourself if you are thinking of entering. 

Obviously it is going to piss it down for the 5 days.  It has to.  Not even the fabulous BlackSheep could get that lucky two times in a row.
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

« Reply #7 on: 10 March, 2015, 09:12:36 am »
Just out of interest, When the last possible time frame to sign up? I cannot possibly commit to something in a year in advance right now.

« Reply #8 on: 10 March, 2015, 09:15:13 am »
Highly likely to fill up, I would have thought. See Marcus's comments....he wasn't the only person to view it as the best ride ever.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #9 on: 10 March, 2015, 09:40:10 am »
Parts of it are so good they are being used for the National 400, I believe.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #10 on: 10 March, 2015, 11:35:18 am »

Indeed have entered Natl 400 as it is such superlative scenery (even in the rain)---although big travel to get there-- and am hoping to enter HW& G too  :thumbsup:
....after the `tarte de pommes`, and  fortified by a couple of shots of limoncellos,  I flew up the Col de Bavella whilst thunderstorms rolled around the peaks above

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
« Reply #11 on: 10 March, 2015, 12:16:53 pm »
AAA:16
Total Climb:15885m [2200m for AAA]

Can someone explain the climbing figure. What's the value in brackets for ?

Reg.T

• "You don't have to go fast; you just have to go."
« Reply #12 on: 10 March, 2015, 12:47:26 pm »
That looks like an aberration to me. The bracketed figure usually applies where the whole ride doesn't qualify for AAA, but one section does (and therefore defines the AAA points awarded). Since the 16 points tallies with the overall climb figure, I think you should ignore the 2200.

It's not the only case. I recently did a ride where the Events page says:
AAA:2
Total Climb:2725m [1500m for AAA]
???
Just turn me loose let me straddle my old saddle
Underneath the western skies

« Reply #13 on: 10 March, 2015, 01:10:26 pm »
oooh

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #14 on: 10 March, 2015, 01:38:42 pm »
AAA:16
Total Climb:15885m [2200m for AAA]

Can someone explain the climbing figure. What's the value in brackets for ?

As per Reg.T's comments - it looks like an error.

The climbing on the original event was generally of the longer and shallower kind, but there were several ferocious sections of short and sharp stuff.  The bit along the Mull of Kintyre isn't present on the 2016 version, but the Lochinver stuff is.  This section was about the best cycling I have ever done in the UK, and possibly further afield - that whole day from Gairloch to Trantlebeg (on my schedule) was just superb and you really don't get anything better than it.  Almost exactly 300km, so the perfect distance for the day and just so, so pretty.

Other than the short, sharp bits, most of the other climbing was reasonably gentle, but lots of it! 

It was all countered by some fabulous experiences on the flat riding alongside lochs etc. - I especially loved the ride around Loch Eriboll up near Durness when you rode 20 or so km around the loch, but could see the riders 20km ahead/behind you as the whole loch is no much more than 1km across at the inlet.  All whilst the sunset and the heat started to go from a truly brutally hot day. 
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

simonp

« Reply #15 on: 10 March, 2015, 03:37:19 pm »
Inb4 ferries.

The revised route looks very nice. But be warned, it's a 1200k now. You'll need to be faster than I was.

« Reply #16 on: 10 March, 2015, 05:42:22 pm »
It`s a long way off but as entries now seem to be accepted I had no choice to................... ;D
....after the `tarte de pommes`, and  fortified by a couple of shots of limoncellos,  I flew up the Col de Bavella whilst thunderstorms rolled around the peaks above

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
« Reply #17 on: 10 March, 2015, 06:04:12 pm »
It`s a long way off but as entries now seem to be accepted I had no choice to................... ;D

LOL.......................

(click to show/hide)

« Reply #18 on: 10 March, 2015, 08:04:24 pm »
It was all countered by some fabulous experiences on the flat riding alongside lochs etc. - I especially loved the ride around Loch Eriboll up near Durness when you rode 20 or so km around the loch, but could see the riders 20km ahead/behind you as the whole loch is no much more than 1km across at the inlet.  All whilst the sunset and the heat started to go from a truly brutally hot day.

Loch Eriboll is apparently also know as Loch `Orrible----I`ve cycled around it twice and both times the weather was wild, wild and wet but still a very beautiful area though  :thumbsup: The sort of Scottish summer weather when winter kit is very welcome....

"It was nicknamed "Lock ’orrible" by the British servicemen stationed here during the war because of the often inclement weather"

hillbilly

« Reply #19 on: 11 March, 2015, 06:46:27 am »
Does the 2016 route use some of the busier A roads with fast traffic that the 2014 route used?  Such as the Glencoe road?

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
« Reply #20 on: 11 March, 2015, 06:51:19 am »
It looks like it goes up Glencoe, so yes.

http://ridewithgps.com/routes/7159395

« Reply #21 on: 11 March, 2015, 06:58:22 am »
The gpx is on the AUK page, so you can see the exact route.

hillbilly

« Reply #22 on: 11 March, 2015, 07:26:45 am »
Thanks AuntMaud.

Hmm.  Interested but suspect I will pass because of some of the roads used.  I am sure it will be another jolly nice bike ride for those who do it.

« Reply #23 on: 11 March, 2015, 07:39:21 am »
Thanks AuntMaud.

Hmm.  Interested but suspect I will pass because of some of the roads used.  I am sure it will be another jolly nice bike ride for those who do it.

here RWGPS link http://ridewithgps.com/routes/7164874/edit

Unfortunately in the NW of Scotland choice of roads comes few and far---it might be possible bypass Glencoe (down to Appin , Taynuilt / back up glen Orchy). Of course it would also depend on what time Glencoe is reached on traffic volume, but yes I agree it is a busy road at wrong time

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #24 on: 11 March, 2015, 08:32:51 am »

Indeed, National 400 organiser Steve Carroll has been using the same roads for many years for his excellent events starting from Portmahomack

ps. is there a limit on entries - cant see one in the calendar page?