Author Topic: AUK forum ( not this one ) missing  (Read 5217 times)

Re: AUK forum ( not this one ) missing
« Reply #25 on: 11 August, 2015, 01:21:52 pm »
Ever since I said superb its gone down for me for last two days.
 :facepalm:

« Reply #26 on: 11 August, 2015, 02:29:03 pm »
It's been up and down a bit for me as well ...

I have brought it to the attention of them as can ...

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #27 on: 11 August, 2015, 02:43:18 pm »
Have you applied to get the domain a.uk ?

<runs away...>
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #28 on: 11 August, 2015, 02:44:25 pm »
Stability of the new ISP appears to be somewhat questionable.  For the second day running, the forum.audax.uk site has been down for an extended period (and not just for me, if isup.me is to be believed).

I've been having 'issues' also - but then isup.me  reports yacf.co.uk  is down, so I expect this post will disappear in a puff of

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
« Reply #29 on: 11 August, 2015, 02:46:26 pm »
Ah! there was I thinking I was persona non grata on that particular patch of the interweb.

« Reply #30 on: 11 August, 2015, 03:21:35 pm »
Have you applied to get the domain a.uk ?

<runs away...>

alpinestars own it.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #31 on: 11 August, 2015, 04:04:20 pm »
Maybe jo.ke then?

* not in anyway a comment on the Web team!
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #32 on: 11 August, 2015, 04:54:04 pm »
OMG NO WAY!

Ben T

« Reply #33 on: 11 August, 2015, 05:08:59 pm »
What about aud.ax , registered in the Ax islands? ;)

hillbilly

« Reply #34 on: 12 August, 2015, 06:01:13 pm »
"Put another 50p in the meter"

It's down again.  Good choice of new ISP, I'm sure it's rates were very competitive.  How they have managed to use a Sinclair ZX81 as a server is a miracle of modern computing :D

« Reply #35 on: 12 August, 2015, 07:04:00 pm »
Aye, behaved for me for about two minutes (er, three minutes ago), but now it's timing out ...

« Reply #36 on: 17 August, 2015, 07:41:02 am »
Same again here. I managed to get onto it for the first time in nearly a week, found the list of 'Unread posts since last visit' but now each of the links to those posts times out. My rural broadband is poor but <2mbps always used to be enough for the old URL/ISP. What's going on?

EDIT: tried again a few minutes later and it's working again - odd.

« Reply #37 on: 17 August, 2015, 08:04:44 am »
Aye, behaved for me for about two minutes (er, three minutes ago), but now it's timing out ...

Not been able to get in since the domain name change a few weeks ago apart from a couple of quick glimpses. It keeps timing out.  Does anyone know if anyone's trying to sort it out?

hillbilly

« Reply #38 on: 17 August, 2015, 09:57:27 am »
I'm noticing that it is more likely to be down during the day than in the evening.

« Reply #39 on: 17 August, 2015, 12:30:53 pm »
I can access the new forum on my PC but not on my android phone.
Clever enough to know I'm not clever enough.

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #40 on: 17 August, 2015, 08:26:39 pm »
Hello chaps. The webhost have been in touch to say they believe they have identified the problem which has been causing some connection to drop. Hopefully its now resolved; if not please PM me.

« Reply #41 on: 17 August, 2015, 10:44:35 pm »
Sadly still the same. Times out from my tablet, and I can get no further than Recent Unread Posts from my laptop.

RichForrest

• T'is I, Silverback.
    • Ramblings of a silverback cyclist
« Reply #42 on: 18 August, 2015, 05:01:02 am »
Not worked for me for a couple of weeks, keep getting website not available, timed out.

« Reply #43 on: 18 August, 2015, 07:26:39 am »
Same here - works intermittently on Windows/Chrome desktop, not at all on Nexus 7 /Android tablets

Ben T

« Reply #44 on: 18 August, 2015, 08:29:00 am »
Hasn't worked for me for ages.
But doesn't really matter cos while it's down there won't have been any posts on it, so nothing new to read.

« Reply #45 on: 18 August, 2015, 09:01:27 am »
Still not accessible on my Android phone.
Clever enough to know I'm not clever enough.

« Reply #46 on: 18 August, 2015, 01:47:48 pm »
................. while it's down there won't have been any posts on it, so nothing new to read.
Actually, not so. Some people have been able to access it. And there's now a thread there from HonSec commenting on the problem and assuring us that it will soon be fixed, hopefully. Although of course, those of us who can't access it, won't read that! ;D

EDIT: and having been teased by a brief glimpse via my desktop, enabling me to see the above, it's now timing out again on the Windows box too! :demon:

Manotea

« Reply #47 on: 20 August, 2015, 11:19:02 am »
Don't quote me but I believe 'normal service has been resumed'.

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #48 on: 21 August, 2015, 01:07:32 pm »
Not unless the irony in your post was intentional  ;)

There may be cacheing issues or DNS issues so that different people see different things, but what I see all the time since you posted that message is 'server not found' on 3 different desktop PCs and on Android tablet.  It's only the forum subdomain that's gone AWOL - simply www.audax.uk does work, forwarding to aukweb.

After the domain move, what was immediately apparent was that the routine, whatever it is, that detects the small-screen device and switches to a 'suitable' display mode, was far more aggressive.  Previously it only rarely kicked in, now it was switching every time.
Then it seemed that that mode failed altogether, but without falling back to the standard browser mode, making the site inaccessible on Android.  At that time for a while the site was still accessible from the desktop with a standard browser, but a bit flakey.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

Manotea

« Reply #49 on: 21 August, 2015, 04:57:18 pm »
www.audax.uk redirects straight to aukweb.net. The changes I made recently applied to forum.audax.uk only. Have you cleared your browser caches? If this doesnt resolve the problem please PM me.

I implemented the alternate theme for small screens as there were no responsive themes available for SMF when the forum launched and I had a titchy screen on my smartphone. You can return to full site mode by selecting the link at bottom right of the signon page. Thi is a peristent change so you only have to opt for it once. As it happens a responsive version of the theme we are using was launched in April so I'll look at that in due course.