Author Topic: Non competitive events  (Read 2283 times)

Non competitive events
« on: 17 September, 2015, 05:40:58 pm »
I've been asked:

hi there, my friend and I are interested in doing some events. We are both female in our 50's.  Do you have any events that we could participate in that aren't highly competitive?

We have cycled, with ease, 50 miles.

Your helpful comments please!

Re: Non competitive events
« Reply #1 on: 17 September, 2015, 05:43:40 pm »
hi there, my friend and I are interested in doing some events. We are both female in our 50's.  Do you have any events that we could participate in that aren't highly competitive?

All our events are non-competitive!  That's the theory at least but when a load of blokes get on their bikes the red mist seems to descend and it becomes a race.  But most events are more laid back than that, and the majority of riders are like me and are happy just to let them get on with it while we make their own way around at a more reasonable pace.

Our events are usually about 100km (62 miles) or 200km (125 miles) in length and the time allowance is 7 hours and 14 hours respectively.

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
« Reply #2 on: 17 September, 2015, 05:44:33 pm »
Plodders' 14th. November ride.....Nice cake at the end

« Reply #3 on: 17 September, 2015, 05:57:52 pm »
BPs can have very relaxed time limits however very few organisers will set the minimum speed lower than 10kph as it can mean a lot of hanging about at the finish.
It didn't look at all like that in the photographs

Pancho

• لَا أَعْبُدُ مَا تَعْبُدُونَ
« Reply #4 on: 17 September, 2015, 08:12:03 pm »
Hmm. I thought, as I'd cycled 100 miles "with ease" once, that one of these audax things would be a walk in the park. I'd read the blurb; friendly mob, non-competitive, etc. But I nearly died. I hadn't done the maths and even the minimum time was pretty racey for me given my Hobbit-like riding patterns (eating-wise, not hairy feet or a golden ring - two breakfast stops, elevenses, long lunch break, high tea, and regular fag breaks to savour the view).

Admittedly, that was in my POB days when I rode a £199 hybrid and cycling wear consisted of taking off a jumper under my Barbour jacket.

« Reply #5 on: 17 September, 2015, 08:26:29 pm »

And we're from Bearsden, East Dunbartonshire

All our events are non-competitive!  That's the theory at least but when a load of blokes get on their bikes the red mist seems to descend and it becomes a race.  But most events are more laid back than that, and the majority of riders are like me and are happy just to let them get on with it while we make their own way around at a more reasonable pace.

Our events are usually about 100km (62 miles) or 200km (125 miles) in length and the time allowance is 7 hours and 14 hours respectively.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #6 on: 17 September, 2015, 08:28:30 pm »
I'd suggest finding a 100km or 150km BP with a generous time limit, and riding with the plodders at the back.  There's usually some.

While Audax is non-competitive, the shorter rides do attract a lot of local non-AUK cyclists who tend to see it as either a good excuse for a training ride or a tesco value version of a sportive.  Fortunately, they all tend to go shooting off at the start, and you rarely encounter them after the first control, except when their lack of preparation (usually with regard to navigation or mechanical issues) allows you to catch up with them.

My patented technique of always being in the loo at the official start time, and starting a couple of minutes late seems to be a good way to avoid mixing with the fast boys with no mudguards or group riding sense.

Also, pretty much nobody's competitive about 50km events.  They're usually the ones that people drag family members along to.  But (unless they're off-road) aren't particularly challenging for someone who can easily ride 50miles.

« Reply #7 on: 17 September, 2015, 09:16:17 pm »
Wot neck of the woods are they from so they can be directed to events near by.
 :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

« Reply #8 on: 17 September, 2015, 09:25:30 pm »
I've been asked:

Your helpful comments please!
I have given this some thought but sorry ,I cant think of anything. ;D

« Reply #9 on: 17 September, 2015, 09:39:03 pm »
Also, pretty much nobody's competitive about 50km events.  They're usually the ones that people drag family members along to.  But (unless they're off-road) aren't particularly challenging for someone who can easily ride 50miles.

Maybe they could tag some mileage on the beginning, with making it to the start on time keeping the pressure on, but not putting all the eggs in the audax basket?

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #10 on: 18 September, 2015, 10:14:30 am »
I don't know where this rider is based but another vote for Plodders event from Catherington - Whitchurch - Catherington on the 14th November.

Yes, there are some riders who will treat it as a tear-up but having never finished the event within the time limits due to drinking beer en-route I can safely say it is not a race.

H

« Reply #11 on: 18 September, 2015, 10:21:52 am »
Any BP 100.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #12 on: 18 September, 2015, 12:30:48 pm »
Except for Grimpeurs, I'd suggest pretty much any BP. The Wiggington based rides (Mother Shipton, Fountains Monk'ybusiness, Wiggy 100 etc.) always seem decent, and have good cafe stops.

You may get some people blast off the start, but you never see them again and can concentrate on your own ride.

Otherwise maybe keep an eye out for YACF/Cyclechat forum rides in their area?
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

« Reply #13 on: 18 September, 2015, 08:23:22 pm »
If you can get to them John Ward's New Forest BP rides i.e less than 200 kilometres, run with a generous time limit of 10kph.
Reine de la Fauche

« Reply #14 on: 20 September, 2015, 08:49:16 pm »
Wot neck of the woods are they from so they can be directed to events near by.
 :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Delph cyclist be keeping quiet on dis one! !,

« Reply #15 on: 20 September, 2015, 08:56:22 pm »
Delph cyclist be keeping quiet on dis one! !,

I managed to slip it into my 17th Sept post (see number 6) which I admit might have been a bit too subtle.

And we're from Bearsden, East Dunbartonshire

« Reply #16 on: 21 September, 2015, 02:26:21 am »
Although this month's has been cancelled they should look out for Ivy's Mid Scotland Meander, a well organised 100, there's usually one in March as well, probably the closest 100 to Bearsden. If they can get down to Gala then there's the excellent Ride of the Valkyries 100 on the 4th Oct. Failing that the next 100 in Scotland in the Calendar isn't until Feb. Meantime there's always the CTC Glasgow rides

bikey-mikey

• AUK 6372
  • Yes, I am completely mad ! a.k.a. 333
« Reply #17 on: 22 September, 2015, 12:32:24 am »
Of course we are non-competitive as regards to how we ride our bikes, and we don't encourage racing, or risk taking of any kind out on the roads, but what we do when sat at our computers is another story entirely....
I’ve decided I’m not old. I’m 25 .....plus shipping and handling.

Cycling heatmap
https://www.strava.com/athletes/4628735/heatmaps/6ed5ab12#10/51.12782/-3.16388