Author Topic: Is It Contradictory To Be Inspired By PBP But Still Not Want To Actually Ride It?  (Read 8499 times)

I'm incredibly inspired by following everyone's PBP progress on both Twitter and YACF. I'm even more motivated than I was already to move up from 600k to 1000k+ rides in 2016. And I'll definitely be riding LEL in 2017.

And yet, there's something about the seeming chaos, the endless queues, the horror stories I hear from fellow AUKs, and the sheer volume of PBP riders that puts me off the idea of actually riding PBP.

Is this Audax heresy? Am I missing something? Or do others feel this way about PBP too?
Eddington Number = 132

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Sort of, in as much as I don't see myself every really being capable of distances where it becomes about digestion, sleep deprivation and tolerance for long-term injury rather than riding your bike.  I'd like to complete a 300 one day.

PBP (and indeed LEL) really don't appeal, largely for logistical reasons.  Weirdly, the BCM600 does.

There are three blokes in the club I’m a member who tell of the incredible distances they rode when they were young. All in their early seventies and all with replacement hip joints. One with a replacement knee joint.
There are more than three who are in their late seventies and still ride out to watch the timetrials. They don’t boast of every doing over 150 miles in any one day.

So according to my judgement of the statistics, I’ve stopped riding longer than 200 km events.

hillbilly

No, it isn't heresy.  PBP isn't for everyone, but you can still look on the efforts and think "I'd like to do that kind of thing, but just not in that way". 

I did PBP in 2007 (the wet one) and am not sure I'll ever do it again.  Looking back, I don't feel some magic touched on my life and changed me forever.  Rather it was a tick in the box, because it was expected "serious" randonneurs do it at least once, probably more than once. My reality was that for such a long-standing and well resourced event, some of the organisation leaves a lot to be desired.  At times it felt almost arrogant, as if the very fact it was PBP was deemed to be enough. 

I personally got more satisfaction completing an X-rated 1000km ran in the Scottish Borders (and North England) by Lucy McTaggart.  It had a fraction of PBPs entries, was just as wet, but I look back on it with more fondness and remember more of it.  Different Strokes etc etc.

And yet, there's something about the seeming chaos, the endless queues, the horror stories I hear from fellow AUKs, and the sheer volume of PBP riders that puts me off the idea of actually riding PBP.

+1

plus the fact that it's a "out and back" route, I personally don't like to re-use the same route back as to what I have already travelled wherever possible.
https://creweandnantwichaudax.wordpress.com/ - See the Audax events I currently organise

www.milehousebarn.co.uk - Cycle Friendly B&B in Nantwich, Chehsire

clarion

• Tyke
It's inspiring.  And I have no wish whatsoever to do it.  Joff Summerfield, riding round the world on an Ordinary, is inspiring, but I'm not mounting up for a rocky pootle to Everest Base Camp.  Mark Beaumont and all the RTW riders are inspiring.  Teethgrinder and Kurt Searvogel are inspiring, but there is no way that I'm ever going to even consider such an attempt.

I like to ride my bike every day, to get somewhere in a leisurely manner and, ideally, to sit watching the sun go down from the door of my tent.  No heroics, no racing.
Getting there...

Andrew

I'm glad the question has been asked because I feel a similar emotion. Wishing everyone well, keeping tabs on who is where, but having no desire to be there (again in my case).

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
Well ...
If I just answered your post TITLE, id say much the same as Clarion: Everest, RTW rides, etc etc ...

But your post says you plan to do equally long/difficult rides, so that's a very different angle:

I'm incredibly inspired by following everyone's PBP progress on both Twitter and YACF. I'm even more motivated than I was already to move up from 600k to 1000k+ rides in 2016. And I'll definitely be riding LEL in 2017.

Is this Audax heresy? Am I missing something? Or do others feel this way about PBP too?
Now, having ridden in 07 & 11 I just didnt fancy it this time, PARTLY cos I'veso enjoyed the alternative ultras I've ridden recently. But I will probably ride again - its STILL a great event that I'd recommend to anyone.

The -VE's you describe; yes, they are what sets PBP aside from other Ultras BUT I think you've read too much into the "horror stories".
And bear in mind that as LEL grows its getting ever closer to PBP in many respects! I could find you a parallel horror story for every issue.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Martin

My experience was that the atmosphere was nothing like I was promised (apart from the first night which was amazing if you like a cycling equivalent of the M25) the food was crap, sleep facilities were inadequate and the route was as dull as dishwater.

I would not have missed it for the world thobut; even with the pain it caused me

I would NEVER say to another rider "you must do it" it must be entirely a personal decision

red marley

Not contradictory, nor heretical, but for anyone who's not ridden it, I'm not sure you get a representative picture from the forum chatter before, during and after the event.

I'm currently enjoying a holiday in Shropshire, but wistfully wishing I was riding to Loudeac with a few thousand others this evening. Some random things that tend not to get reported to the same extent as worries about queues, luggage drops making it to Brest in 40 hours...

The pre ride impromptu gatherings of riders in the open spaces of St Quentin over the weekend, chatting with AUKs you normally only see abike.

90km in on the first night passing old men playing accordions and thinking I should be tired now, but feeling you could ride forever being carried along on a wave of red lights and anticipation.

Hitting a small town at pub chucking out time, seeing a group of 20 year old males gathering by the roadside, and as you brace yourself for the normal UK abuse you receive cheery encouragement without a hint of ironic mockery.

Riding up and over Le Roc at misty dawn and descending into Sizun to find a 24 hour party tent of dancing locals offering you free food and drink.

"Finding your legs" at 800km between Loudeac and Tinteneac on what must be perfect cycling conditions - gentle undulations on silky smooth roads, once again feeling you can ride forever.

Beetroot salad at 1000km tasting like food of the gods.

Being having food brought to you in Villanes by a 12 year old beaming with pride that she has the honour of serving a real PBP rider.

Leaving the outskirts of Dreux at three in the morning, waiting at the lights and being approached by a local who has decided to stay up all night giving out a few grapes to riders as they wait.

Andrew

the route was as dull as dishwater.

It's not the most exciting, it ought be said, but I think one has to remember the origins of this ride. Since then, tradition has taken over (France is good at maintaining tradition).

I think I would say 'you must do it' to a prospective rider though - if they were showing interest. I think it's an experience to be had. Not for the route, for sure, but for the event itself, just to take part in something so big and historic. I'm glad I've done it even though I doubt I ever will again.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
I first read about PBP in around 1984. I was inspired but thought it was beyond me.
I joined AUK in 1993, still thought PBP was beyond me but became an SR within a year of joining.
I qualified for PBP in 1995 but felt I was too slow to have much chance of finishing in time if the course was not pan flat.

I didn't do PBP. I took advantage of its occurrence by bagging points on the DATC, for which I won the Ladies' Trophy.
I don't regret not entering.

PBP still inspires me.

It's good to read the positive posts - an antidote to a lot of what I've read on the specific PBP threads and heard whilst out on the road. I do feel that PBP is probably an itch that one day I'll find myself scratching, not because of length or difficulty - I'm naturally much more inclined to X-rated events - but on the "because it's there" principle, and without a great deal of enthusiasm. LEL2017 first though, then make a decision after that.
Eddington Number = 132

Ben T

It's inspiring.  And I have no wish whatsoever to do it.  Joff Summerfield, riding round the world on an Ordinary, is inspiring, but I'm not mounting up for a rocky pootle to Everest Base Camp.  Mark Beaumont and all the RTW riders are inspiring.  Teethgrinder and Kurt Searvogel are inspiring, but there is no way that I'm ever going to even consider such an attempt.

I like to ride my bike every day, to get somewhere in a leisurely manner and, ideally, to sit watching the sun go down from the door of my tent.  No heroics, no racing.

Mentioning Mark Beaumont and teethgrinder in the same sentence, I must say I find riding the length of Africa much more inspiring and audacious than laps of buckinghamshire will ever be. Seeing as we're getting the heresy out the bag

Mentioning Mark Beaumont and teethgrinder in the same sentence, I must say I find riding the length of Africa much more inspiring and audacious than laps of buckinghamshire will ever be. Seeing as we're getting the heresy out the bag
Is there really any need for this?
Started audax with LEL & SR in 2013. Currently working on fitness and trying for a RRtY in 2024. Event organiser, Arrivée photo contributor & LEL controller

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes

Its not remotely heretical - they are completely different challenges. Like comparing apples with oranges.

But the way you choose to say this comes across as a rather nasty comment on teethgrinder. If you didnt mean it that way then I suggest you reassess your choice of words.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Granborough, East Claydon, Marsh Gibbon, Grendon Underwood, Quainton, Waddesdon, Quarrendon, Bierton, Hulcott, Aston Abbots, Cublington ( the Unicorn for lunch and a swift half ), Hardwick, Hoggesdon and back to Granborough.

All inspiring and audacious.

Ben T

Its not remotely heretical - they are completely different challenges. Like comparing apples with oranges.

But the way you choose to say this comes across as a rather nasty comment on teethgrinder. If you didnt mean it that way then I suggest you reassess your choice of words.
::-)
Just saying - not intended to be nasty. My opinion shouldn't matter, really,  should it - in the grand scheme of things.

I don't think it is contradictory at all. I am inspired by PBP but had not intention of riding it this year. Life is just too busy at present, more for the classification rides than PBP itself. I would have found it all too stressful and I have never want to do a bike ride just for the sake of completing it irrespective of the enjoyment quotient. It is one I do want to experience and hope to enter it in 2019.
Started audax with LEL & SR in 2013. Currently working on fitness and trying for a RRtY in 2024. Event organiser, Arrivée photo contributor & LEL controller

I'm totally inspired by PBP and LEL.
Sadly wrt PBP I'd never be able to find the time to do the qualifying distances etc. etc.
BUT ... and this may be heretical .... I still fancy the challenge, to share the atmosphere, to hand on the coat-tails of giants and a certain thought keeps entering my mind.
OK, you can burn me for this ...
I keep thinking, why not just turn up at the next one in the best shape I can be and have a go?  It's on open roads, I won't be an official entrant so will not be visiting or availing myself of the facilities at controls and I won't have to worry if I don't make it back in time.  As long as I don't interfere with the entrants (oo-err Mrs) then why not?  It is a selfish thought I know.  I'd have the personal challenge and also be able to at least suck-up some of the experience.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
I'd have thought that volunteering at a control would be a better way to suck up the experience...

I'd have thought that volunteering at a control would be a better way to suck up the experience...
But not the long distance pedaling challengy bit ....

Andrew

You'd also miss the village party times, the on-the-road encouragements, etc. The controls are a different experience, part of it but not all.

I qualified and entered this year but made the decision after an unhappy attempt at a final 300 overnight 'training ride' that I didn't have the legs or desire to do 1200k at the moment. I still went to Paris to support a friend, and even registered with the intention of starting and bailing a few km down the road so that I could say that I had done some of PBP.  However the organisation seemed poor for the numbers of riders, the pre ride meal I had paid for was bare when I arrived and reports of controls running out of food have reinforced my decision that PBP is probably not for me. I think I have been spoiled by the fantastic LEL and WCW organisations.
The older you get, the better you get, unless you are a banana.

I think "to be inspired by PBP", you'd actually have to ride it first. That means you have to go through the qualifying process and all that involves. Taking the setbacks during qualifying galvanised the rider both physically and mentally.

There's a lot more to the event than the 1200 or so km.

As for the event itself, and speaking from experience in 2003, there was a lot that was frankly .........crap.

The pre-ride meal was held in a canteen that was far too small and slow service for the throughput of customers.the holding pen at the start was cramped, although the venue was a sports complex and capable of dealing with the numbers present. The one overriding vision to this day, was the sight of all the emergency  exits being chained shut. Well I suppose it wasn't term time :facepalm:

I left in the last group 90hr group at about 23.30. Having recce'd the first 100k or so, progress was very swift to the first control,  but the customer service was again crap - and remained so for the duration of the ride. I vividly recall the attendant in charge of the showers at Carhaix.  Did he seriously think that only the French understood the abuse he was handing-out wholesale?

Loudeac on the second visit on both visits was like a scene from Apocalypse Now!  I really did expect to see Michael Sheene walking through the complex with Marlon Brando's severed head.

A small group of about half a dozen of us were "forgotton about" in one of the dorms. Sure we should have woken - up,  and I would have - if it wasn't for the fact that my alarm clock was taken from me. The pretext being it would wake others - what frickin others? We were all planning to leave together. My bike went on walkabout, to be fair it was still chained to the barrier I was told to secure it to, it just where I left it. The staff were considerate, in broken English the guys told me to wait and they will bring my bike to me. I will never forget the sight of about half a dozen sleepy french men carrying a huge section of railing with my bike attached. How could I not be impressed.

I recall one of the group casually asking "100 in 8 anyone"? Universally the answer was no, so we all made our way back (via controls) to Paris. The last control was in full celebration mode, there was a banquet on a long set of trestle tables, and we were not allowed to leave until we had eaten and drank far too much. We made our way back to Paris despite many of the route markers being taken for souvenirs  (so the recce was of use). We were knocking - out in excess of 20 mph for the last couple hours.

As for the route, it's not inspiring - you will find better on just about (if not) all rides of almost any length. PBP remains the holy grail because it was the first to do what it does, be it bad, average or otherwise.

I'm the first to say that the ACP acted on a lot of criticism that was passed back to them following the 2003 event..

What made the ride for me was the unofficial controls/village parties/local support particularly from the Bretagne people.The almost universal camaraderie between cyclists when they realise that cycling 1200km is the least of their worries

Be inspired by the audacious capacity of those that come back with their experiences.
where you have a concentration of power in a few hands, all too frequently men with the mentality of gangsters get control. History has proven that. Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely.