Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
Re: DOTD
« Reply #350 on: 19 June, 2015, 12:19:53 pm »
… if they do, wouldn't it be great if they were in a regional dialect:

"N'then. Loooook'owt. Thaz a child abut! Flower."
Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #351 on: 19 June, 2015, 12:58:58 pm »
First I heard his bell and saw the people crossing the round I was about to turn left into scatter. Then he came rushing round the corner, doing about 25mph down the one in eight hill, on the wrong side of the road as he turned into the side street I was coming out of. He diverted around me and almost into a car parked on the other side of the street. But hey, at least he was wearing a helmet!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #352 on: 19 June, 2015, 01:48:29 pm »
The youth who decided to hop off the pavement on his MTB into the cycle lane between Emsworth and Havant - the wrong way -  to meet me coming the right way. I had visions of writing of the 2nd bike in 3 weeks as I did an endo and nearly had to swerve into the overtaking traffic.

(Was on carbon light thing after my Secteur was written off in a collision with stupid woman pulling out of a car park and bouncing me into a cast iron bollard - the bruises were impressive!)

I grabbed his arm to tell him how stupid he was - reasonably politely but less so as he completely lacked to acknowledge any problem. I nearly did the over-50 thing of "take those earphones out and listen to me - you leave when I've **** well stopped talking to you" but couldn't be bothered. I did nearly just punch his lights out though - I was so pissed off. Luckily sense prevailed. And I'm normally so mild mannered...

Was a couple of weeks ago but finally got round to ranting about it.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #353 on: 19 June, 2015, 02:07:40 pm »
The youth who decided to hop off the pavement on his MTB into the cycle lane between Emsworth and Havant - the wrong way -  to meet me coming the right way. I had visions of writing of the 2nd bike in 3 weeks as I did an endo and nearly had to swerve into the overtaking traffic.

Or the youth who decided to hop off the pavement on his MTB into the dual-carriageway Bristol road - the wrong way - to meet me coming up the hill at about 5mph on a loaded Brompton.  He swerved into the fortuitous absence of traffic, built up significant speed from the hill and shot off into a side-road behind me.

No real risk of a collision, but I really don't know why he didn't just stay on the pavement.   ???

« Reply #354 on: 20 June, 2015, 05:50:11 pm »
c. 11 a.m. in York's Coppergate I have stopped on the red at the busy pedestrian crossing.  30-ish guy wearing big headphones riding a slime green bike, too impatient to wait for all to cross and charges over just missing a woman in front of me but only because she jumps out of his way.  Lucky she was agile.   
Move Faster and Bake Things

Guy

• Retired
« Reply #355 on: 03 July, 2015, 08:41:10 am »
A507 Shefford by-pass at 1/4 to 7 last night. A red Peugeot estate sweeps past, passenger hanging out of the window, giving it the usual unintelligable NYAGREKLEZMOWTTIYHFG ending in a doppler-effected ROAD TAAX YOU CAAAAAaaant.

This, erm, person, qualifies as a Dick rather than an Oik or a Motorised Moron for two excellent reasons.

1 (One) - He was wearing a black CYCLING jersey.
2 (MMXV) - The car he was travelling in had two very shiny roadbikes on the roof-rack. ::-)

What is the world coming to?
"The Opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject"  Marcus Aurelius

« Reply #356 on: 03 July, 2015, 08:48:45 am »
Stolen car ?
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #357 on: 03 July, 2015, 08:49:03 am »
And clothes ?

:-)
Rust never sleeps

Guy

• Retired
« Reply #358 on: 03 July, 2015, 09:36:45 am »
Actually, I think he was probably part of the new breed of MAMILS who seem to be multiplying now the weather has improved. What, a few weeks ago, were quite quiet routes on a weekend have now become busy with lycra-clad morons riding their bikes in the same fashion as they drive their AUDIs. It can get somewhat scarey at times.

Another couple of months and it'll be blessed peace out there again.
"The Opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject"  Marcus Aurelius

fuzzy

« Reply #359 on: 03 July, 2015, 10:21:33 am »
A507 Shefford by-pass at 1/4 to 7 last night. A red Peugeot estate sweeps past, passenger hanging out of the window, giving it the usual unintelligable NYAGREKLEZMOWTTIYHFG ending in a doppler-effected ROAD TAAX YOU CAAAAAaaant.

This, erm, person, qualifies as a Dick rather than an Oik or a Motorised Moron for two excellent reasons.

1 (One) - He was wearing a black CYCLING jersey.
2 (MMXV) - The car he was travelling in had two very shiny roadbikes on the roof-rack. ::-)

Irony?

« Reply #360 on: 03 July, 2015, 10:54:45 am »
Not Americans then.

:-)
Rust never sleeps

red marley

« Reply #361 on: 03 July, 2015, 12:37:03 pm »
[...] unintelligable NYAGREKLEZMOWTTIYHFG ending in a doppler-effected ROAD TAAX YOU CAAAAAaaant.

It being unintelligible, what they actually said was "Well done lad, keep going! The roads here in God's own county of South Yorkshire are second to none, paid for out of a non-hypthecated taxation system. As much as people think you should contribute to them though a road tax, you can't."

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #362 on: 03 July, 2015, 01:57:58 pm »

Irony?

Quite.  Though I generally reserve that sort of thing for people I actually know.

Guy

• Retired
« Reply #363 on: 06 July, 2015, 09:23:09 am »
The biter bit...

A private wheel clamper from Hampshire has been fined £500 for clamping police cars providing security for a private visit by the Queen to Portsmouth.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hampshire-15496114

;D ;D ;D :facepalm:

« Reply #364 on: 06 July, 2015, 11:01:32 am »
The biter bit...

A private wheel clamper from Hampshire has been fined £500 for clamping police cars providing security for a private visit by the Queen to Portsmouth.

"Colin Shackel, prosecuting, said PC Mark Cox and a second officer, both in plain clothes, were providing protection for the Queen."

Bit of nominative determinism too!

« Reply #365 on: 06 July, 2015, 11:17:24 am »
The biter bit...

Andrews told the court he had tried to call his firm's control room for authorisation to remove the clamp, and had been prevented from doing so by police.

If that is true, then this poor bastard has been really shafted. He's lost his job, his marriage and had threats made against him.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

fuzzy

« Reply #366 on: 06 July, 2015, 01:57:41 pm »
The biter bit...

Andrews told the court he had tried to call his firm's control room for authorisation to remove the clamp, and had been prevented from doing so by police.

If that is true, then this poor bastard has been really shafted. He's lost his job, his marriage and had threats made against him.

The job loss may well be related to this incident. No idea what led to the marriage breakdown and threats.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #367 on: 06 July, 2015, 02:50:28 pm »
Forgot about this, few weeks back, while walking in town. Three cyclict went through the red, over the pedestrian crossing I had green on. As with everything I forgot to shout something, mainly because I never have a great punch line ready. Even when it is that simple as - it's red!
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

caerau

• SR x 3 - PBP fail but 1090 km - hey - not too bad
« Reply #368 on: 17 July, 2015, 12:02:12 pm »
DOTD today is your truly.

With various graduation ceremonies taking place this week at my place of employment they've put in temporary metal ramps up the whole 3 steps to get into the main entrance to the building - for catering and presumably disabled access.  I've been enjoying yomping up one of them on the bike, not because it saves me any time, but just because it's a bit of fun in the morning.

Sometimes it pays to pay attention to the weather though.  Next time I'll save this silliness for dry conditions.  :facepalm:
It's a reverse Elvis thing.

« Reply #369 on: 17 July, 2015, 01:13:22 pm »
Hope you're ok!

« Reply #370 on: 17 July, 2015, 01:59:54 pm »
DOTD today is your truly.

With various graduation ceremonies taking place this week at my place of employment they've put in temporary metal ramps up the whole 3 steps to get into the main entrance to the building - for catering and presumably disabled access.  I've been enjoying yomping up one of them on the bike, not because it saves me any time, but just because it's a bit of fun in the morning.

Sometimes it pays to pay attention to the weather though.  Next time I'll save this silliness for dry conditions.  :facepalm:

You know the old saying -the bigger they come , the harder they fall. Hope you're O.K.
Think Rory Mcillroy and the Open , except substitute Welsh guy and PBP.

Guy

• Retired
« Reply #371 on: 29 July, 2015, 08:40:32 am »
Female jogger in all blue foopball kit who caused a lorry driver to change his trousers by running straight across the roundabout about 6 feet in front of his moving lorry on the busy A507 Chicksands roundabout at 0715 this morning. About 20 feet from a Toucan crossing ::-)

fuzzy

« Reply #372 on: 29 July, 2015, 01:05:38 pm »
Female jogger in all blue foopball kit who caused a lorry driver to change his trousers by running straight across the roundabout about 6 feet in front of his moving lorry on the busy A507 Chicksands roundabout at 0715 this morning. About 20 feet from a Toucan crossing ::-)

Bet she was enjoying her choons though.......

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #373 on: 31 July, 2015, 02:36:45 pm »
Arguably two for the price of one here

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/latest-news/motorist-takes-a-tumble-while-trying-to-attack-cyclist-video-185352?utm_source=Twitter&utm_medium=Social

The only person who comes out with any credit is the slightly embarrassed looking passenger.
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

red marley

« Reply #374 on: 31 July, 2015, 05:24:26 pm »
Should've worn a helmet.

But really, chasing down impatient idiotic drivers to educate them until they explode is never going to make the roads a better place to be.