Author Topic: Recumbents & waterproof trousers  (Read 5956 times)

Recumbents & waterproof trousers
« on: 25 April, 2019, 05:41:07 pm »
Can I ask what folk are doing about leg covering in the rain on a 'bent, please?
It's been so long since I last rode one that I can't remember what I wore.
I'd ask cycleman but whatever he uses is bound to have extra holes, rips and tears to let water run out  :)
Never knowingly under caffeinated

LMT

Re: Recumbents & waterproof trousers
« Reply #1 on: 25 April, 2019, 05:52:22 pm »
No waterproof trousers for myself.  I make sure that my feet and torso remain dry in the rain but trousers just adds to the boil in a bag experience. 

« Reply #2 on: 25 April, 2019, 06:12:44 pm »
Thanks LMT.
What about a dry crutch? I do like a dry crutch. Waterproof shorts, perhaps?

« Reply #3 on: 25 April, 2019, 06:33:16 pm »
Just use a umbrella   ;D!. Or a fairing   :)
the slower you go the more you see

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4 on: 25 April, 2019, 07:22:31 pm »
More or less the same thing I do on an upwrong:  Which is to say that my waterproof trousers are in the back of a drawer somewhere because they're too boil-in-a-bag to use.

Depending on temperature, I'll either rely on the quick-drying properties of SkinTex™ and thin lycra, the slightly less quick-drying properties of cycling-specific longs (I prefer tights to looser-fitting ones on a 'bent as they behave better at the ankle and tend to have less knobbly waistbands), and the now legendary RainLegs with their comedy knee-flap aero braking system.

« Reply #5 on: 25 April, 2019, 07:52:09 pm »
In warm weather I just get wet on the grounds I’ll dry again. In cooler weather I use one of two things depending on conditions:

I have some seriously water resistant Pearl Izumi tights which are good for cold and a bit wet. They’re warm tights, so really only useful late autumn to early Spring.

I also have some very stretchy and light OMM Kamleika fell running waterproof over-trousers that I picked up from Pete Bland sports (online) a few years ago that do the trick for me in seriously wet conditions. The last time they were used to good effect was an all morning downpour in Holland last October. The  combination of cool temperature, heavy rain and modest touring speeds meant I didn’t suffer ANY boil in the bag effect.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

« Reply #6 on: 25 April, 2019, 08:23:08 pm »
If it's cold and wet, I have these on standby. They're not waterproof, but they are thick enough to maintain warmth and let the wet out the back.

https://www.amazon.com/Sobike-Cycling-Winter-Tights-Promise/dp/B07C1GMP58 Sadly no longer available on Amazon UK.
Cruzbike V2k, S40

« Reply #7 on: 25 April, 2019, 09:45:00 pm »
More or less the same thing I do on an upwrong:  Which is to say that my waterproof trousers are in the back of a drawer somewhere because they're too boil-in-a-bag to use.
Depending on temperature, I'll either rely on the quick-drying properties of SkinTex™ and thin lycra, the slightly less quick-drying properties of cycling-specific longs (I prefer tights to looser-fitting ones on a 'bent as they behave better at the ankle and tend to have less knobbly waistbands), and the now legendary RainLegs with their comedy knee-flap aero braking system.

Thanks for the help.
I have the rain legs but thought that they wouldn't keep the crutch and backside dry in a recumbent riding position, but I can live with wet lower legs.

« Reply #8 on: 25 April, 2019, 09:46:52 pm »
Just use a umbrella   ;D!. Or a fairing   :)

If I did enough streams I'd try a wetsuit  :P

« Reply #9 on: 25 April, 2019, 10:37:16 pm »
Thanks everyone.
I have rainlegs so I will try them - I like them on an upright - I will also check out the fell running over trousers.
Thanks again. very helpful as usual - excluding Cycleman, of course  ;D

« Reply #10 on: 26 April, 2019, 07:18:24 am »
Anytime  :)
the slower you go the more you see

« Reply #11 on: 26 April, 2019, 11:53:26 am »
If it's cold and wet, I have these on standby. They're not waterproof, but they are thick enough to maintain warmth and let the wet out the back.

https://www.amazon.com/Sobike-Cycling-Winter-Tights-Promise/dp/B07C1GMP58 Sadly no longer available on Amazon UK.

They are back on at £26 which compares favourably with some other cycling trousers I have.

« Reply #12 on: 26 May, 2019, 07:47:56 am »
OMM stretchy jobs as above. Wish the zips were longer as taking off shoes just to change into them is a bugger.

« Reply #13 on: 26 May, 2019, 11:44:59 am »
OMM stretchy jobs as above. Wish the zips were longer as taking off shoes just to change into them is a bugger.
Thanks for the input, Climo

« Reply #14 on: 14 June, 2019, 12:32:19 am »
Only ride in DRY weather & forget about waterproofs. :P

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #15 on: 14 June, 2019, 12:49:18 am »

An excellent suggestion sir, with only two minor drawbacks:
We don't have any dry weather.
There's no such thing as dry weather.
</kryten>

« Reply #16 on: 14 June, 2019, 06:18:56 am »
The last dry weather that I have certain memory of was the Summer of '76.

« Reply #17 on: 24 June, 2019, 09:13:50 pm »
OK. :facepalm:
Ride when there is no reverse osmosis in the atmosphere in the area in which you currently find yourself. ;D

To put it simply "When it's not raining" commonly known as "DRY!" :thumbsup:

« Reply #18 on: 27 June, 2019, 08:45:48 pm »
 ;D😀

« Reply #19 on: 07 July, 2019, 08:16:17 pm »

An excellent suggestion sir, with only two minor drawbacks:
We don't have any dry weather.
There's no such thing as dry weather.
</kryten>

I live in a place where we have unwet weather. It is very unwet, apart from thunderstorms when no sensible person would want to stretch out on a bent, and usually accompanied by temperatures sufficiently high to be unsuitable for any activity other than sitting in a cool place drinking an even colder beer (non-alcoholic for the teetotallers). This situation has been known to persist for several months at a time.
On the whole there are times of the year when I would willingly put up with getting a bit wet ;D

« Reply #20 on: 08 July, 2019, 05:13:30 pm »
I like canoeing gear.

A lot of the tops have half length sleeves
The trouble I find with long sleeves on a recumbent is water puddles at the elbow.
That's fine until you put your arm out to indicate a turn.
Then the cold puddle ends up passing your armpit on it's way to your crotch ......  :o

YMMV ...........  ;D

« Reply #21 on: 10 July, 2019, 02:57:04 pm »
I like canoeing gear.

A lot of the tops have half length sleeves
The trouble I find with long sleeves on a recumbent is water puddles at the elbow.
That's fine until you put your arm out to indicate a turn.
Then the cold puddle ends up passing your armpit on it's way to your crotch ......  :o

YMMV ...........  ;D

I'm having trouble working the implied angles out.
I know I've met you and I don't remember your arms being joined to your waist  ;D

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #22 on: 10 July, 2019, 03:01:04 pm »
I get that too:  Elbow is below shoulder height, hand is close to or above elbow height (if only when reaching to change gear, rub your nose, whatever) so water entering the sleeve at the cuff doesn't get further than the elbow.  Then you indicate...

Different steering arrangements are likely to exacerbate the effect.  The Red Baron isn't a wet weather bike, but on the odd occasion I've had to wear a waterproof jacket, it's collected water in all sorts of odd places.

« Reply #23 on: 10 July, 2019, 04:01:24 pm »
Ah, we are talking inside the sleeve!
I've not had that happen but I don't go out in rain very much or at all at the moment. ; :)

« Reply #24 on: 10 July, 2019, 11:47:51 pm »
When I indicate I have my hand below shoulder height.
I ride ICE  Q, Vortex fs & Trice XL with the seat fully reclined.
Not had any water up the sleeves.