Author Topic: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.  (Read 1626886 times)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.
« Reply #5775 on: 07 January, 2015, 05:45:08 pm »
Cycles as mobility aids is a whole other rant, of course...

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #5776 on: 07 January, 2015, 06:41:28 pm »
OK, so the front passenger seat seatbelt warning light sometimes doesn't. Or when it does it shouldn't. And the seatbelt pretensioner warning light is about as decisive as an indecisive thing after a severe beating about the head. And the front passenger airbag warning light lies.

I take the front seat out and untie all the magic anbaric knots and retie them and put the seat back. Result? NFC :demon:

Send cage off to cage repairers. They plug in their guru which says Body Control Unit is borked. That will be £518 to replace all in says the guru operator but we have to order the thing as we don't hold it in stock so we can't fix before Wednesday at the earliest. I says OK, I'll pick the car up in a mo. He says fine but you will have to pay for the part in advance as it is a SPECIAL THING.

I arrives at the cage repairers and the guru supervisor says hello here is your car. That will be the cost of the part plus £60 for the honour of us telling you you have to spend over £500 :o

You mean you aren't including the diagnostic cost in the cost of the repair?

No.

Money grabbing wankers.

I hope, for their sake, that they have discumknockerated the seat sensor and checked the wiring continuity because if they haven't I don't think we will need the medium of yacf.co.uk to gauge Fuzzy Rtd etc's response to 'We've changed the body control unit and the fault's come back!'

If a car dealership is suddenly engulfed in an enormous fireball . . .
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #5777 on: 07 January, 2015, 08:59:51 pm »
You need someone else to go in "Oh yes, my mate the ex special forces chap with the $car. He gets really annoyed when garages screw up. Wouldn't want to be that mechanic."
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #5778 on: 08 January, 2015, 01:21:49 am »
Our burglar/fire/panic alarm went off tonight for no reason.
Panel stated 'Fire Zone 12'
We had NOTHING going anywhere to trigger LOUD NOISE.

Monitoring centre phoned and I told them nothing other than alarm was amiss. Suggested ventilating offending upstairs smoke detector.
Alarm went silent while David was in bathroom, only to go off again when I walked to loo downstairs.
Alarm stopped after a few minutes.

Worry is it could resume at any time.

« Reply #5779 on: 08 January, 2015, 10:20:39 am »
Sat here in full cycling kit watching the rain lash down. Soon to be changing back again.  :(
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #5780 on: 08 January, 2015, 10:43:08 am »
Sat here in full cycling kit watching the rain lash down. Soon to be changing back again.  :(

Rule#5?

I decided to go out in the rain mostly because there is no where to park at the bank. Once I was out it didn't seem that bad and skin is mostly waterproof anyway.

D.
Somewhat of a professional tea drinker.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #5781 on: 08 January, 2015, 11:05:49 am »
If you're taking a whole trolley full through the basket only/small number of items queue, then you are abusing the system, whether you have a disability or not. If your trolley only contains a few things, then reasonable people shouldn't mind one way or the other. If the staff and system are reasonable, that should help engender reasonableness in customers too. I know some places use the phrase 'Express till', perhaps to avoid this whole conveyance and number issue.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #5782 on: 08 January, 2015, 12:07:51 pm »
I would have used the self-service wossnames but I had an item with a security wossname on it, and attracting the attention of the lackey at the s-s tills is only slightly harder than Doing It while standing in a hammock.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #5784 on: 08 January, 2015, 05:53:38 pm »
Just be grateful the Torygraph didn't refer to her as a "Wopsie".

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #5785 on: 08 January, 2015, 06:08:01 pm »
Damian Grammaticus, not only are you nowhere near the Champagne region but you should also do something about that five o'clock shadow before appearing on national television.

I've often wondered whether he is married to a woman called "Anna".

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #5786 on: 08 January, 2015, 10:34:53 pm »
Do Irish people not do camping?

I'm trying to plan a route along the East Coast from Rosslare to Belfast, but there's hardly any campsites anywhere, and those that are around seem to be shut  in mid-March when I wan't to go :(
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #5787 on: 08 January, 2015, 11:52:12 pm »
I've had enough. I'm going to look at touring through Wales instead
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #5788 on: 09 January, 2015, 03:47:12 am »
Pub carparks and verges...

fuzzy

« Reply #5789 on: 09 January, 2015, 09:57:07 am »
OK, so the front passenger seat seatbelt warning light sometimes doesn't. Or when it does it shouldn't. And the seatbelt pretensioner warning light is about as decisive as an indecisive thing after a severe beating about the head. And the front passenger airbag warning light lies.

I take the front seat out and untie all the magic anbaric knots and retie them and put the seat back. Result? NFC :demon:

Send cage off to cage repairers. They plug in their guru which says Body Control Unit is borked. That will be £518 to replace all in says the guru operator but we have to order the thing as we don't hold it in stock so we can't fix before Wednesday at the earliest. I says OK, I'll pick the car up in a mo. He says fine but you will have to pay for the part in advance as it is a SPECIAL THING.

I arrives at the cage repairers and the guru supervisor says hello here is your car. That will be the cost of the part plus £60 for the honour of us telling you you have to spend over £500 :o

No.

Money grabbing wankers.

I hope, for their sake, that they have discumknockerated the seat sensor and checked the wiring continuity because if they haven't I don't think we will need the medium of yacf.co.uk to gauge Fuzzy Rtd etc's response to 'We've changed the body control unit and the fault's come back!'

You may jest......

Picked car up last night. Started engine, pre tensioner warning light refused to go out >:(

Wascally Weasel

• Slayer of Dragons and killer of threads.
« Reply #5790 on: 09 January, 2015, 10:44:39 am »

Monitoring centre phoned and I told them nothing other than alarm was amiss. Suggested ventilating offending upstairs smoke detector.
Alarm went silent while David was in bathroom, only to go off again when I walked to loo downstairs.

Could it be a low battery in the sensor?  Mine goes off in those circumstances.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #5791 on: 09 January, 2015, 12:34:12 pm »
You'd hope the panel would report 'fault' rather than 'fire'...

While we're on the subject, my mystery chirping has resumed.  (It went on hiatus over Christmas on account of snot-induced conductive hearing loss).

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #5792 on: 09 January, 2015, 01:33:08 pm »

Could it be a low battery in the sensor?  Mine goes off in those circumstances.

All batteries were replaced when system was serviced last month...

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #5793 on: 09 January, 2015, 02:19:46 pm »

No.

Money grabbing wankers.

You may jest......

Picked car up last night. Started engine, pre tensioner warning light refused to go out >:(

Fuck! Now I need a new laptop . . .

. . . or at least a way to get the coffee out of this one.

I'm sorry but it's taken me good 5 minutes to stop laughing!!!!
VELOMANCER

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #5794 on: 09 January, 2015, 02:22:17 pm »
BTW the pretensioner is probably on the seat belt reel in the bowels of the B-post and (probably) unaffected by the anbaric string on the seat.

Give 'em absolute hell!  :thumbsup:
VELOMANCER

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #5795 on: 09 January, 2015, 02:35:40 pm »
BTW the pretensioner is probably on the seat belt reel in the bowels of the B-post and (probably) unaffected by the anbaric string on the seat.

Why would they do that?  It would mean that important MOT-failure warning lights wouldn't come on in response to transporting a chewy dog in the passenger footwell one time.

« Reply #5796 on: 09 January, 2015, 02:45:44 pm »
The wiring loom would in normal circumstances be completely concealed behind trim panels and thus not immediately vulnerable to chewy dogs and inquisitive children.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #5797 on: 09 January, 2015, 02:47:39 pm »
Exactly.  No lucrative repair costs there.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #5798 on: 10 January, 2015, 11:08:18 am »
Funny that it's called a loom when it's more akin to the product of one.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #5799 on: 10 January, 2015, 11:16:31 am »
I've had enough. I'm going to look at touring through Wales instead

I know you have changed your mind. See if you can find Gordy's round ireland trip thread, as of a couple of years ago, very informative.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain