Author Topic: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.  (Read 1626807 times)

Guy

• Retired
Re: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.
« Reply #6725 on: 13 August, 2015, 02:58:07 pm »
I knew my new jacket I bought a couple of months ago would get wet one day, but why did it have to be today. The rain is "Biblical" and the wind is gusty and nicely head-on for the ride home
"The Opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject"  Marcus Aurelius

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #6726 on: 13 August, 2015, 06:36:32 pm »
In the Grumble thread as it doesn't fit anywhere else.

My grumble is about me, I went out last night to see Soulfly @ The Corporation in Sheffield.

It was a good night, lots of moshing and loud music.

Why the flaming heck did I join in the pit? This morning I can hardly move my left hand, and when I do it is painful.  Standing on my left leg is painful, too.  I must have bruised parts when I fell over :(

I didn't understand any of that post, other than that you went to a gig in Sheffield and that somehow you injured yourself.

Bloody youngsters with their new-fangled words for things I've never heard of.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #6727 on: 14 August, 2015, 07:42:13 am »

My grumble is about me, I went out last night to see Soulfly @ The Corporation in Sheffield.

Why the flaming heck did I join in the pit? This morning I can hardly move my left hand, and when I do it is painful.  Standing on my left leg is painful, too.  I must have bruised parts when I fell over :(

I didn't understand any of that post, other than that you went to a gig in Sheffield and that somehow you injured yourself.

Soulfly = popular beat combo, m'lud, have been around since the late '90's, known for their very heavy metal style music.
Moshing = a type of "dancing" associated with bands such as Soulfly, which has it's roots is the pogo'ing of the Punk era (late '70's) and the word first appears in a song title in the late '80's (Anthrax - All Caught in a Mosh)

One does wonder just when Mr Wowbagger is going to join the 21st Century :) ;)
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #6728 on: 14 August, 2015, 10:05:23 am »

Soulfly = popular beat combo, m'lud, have been around since the late '90's, known for their very heavy metal style music.
Moshing = a type of "dancing" associated with bands such as Soulfly, which has it's roots is the pogo'ing of the Punk era (late '70's) and the word first appears in a song title in the late '80's (Anthrax - All Caught in a Mosh)

One does wonder just when Mr Wowbagger is going to join the 21st 20th Century :) ;)

FTFY :demon:
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

fuzzy

« Reply #6729 on: 14 August, 2015, 01:49:28 pm »
Why, Bayliss & Harding, is your black pepper and ginseng shower gel in a tube with a screw top lid hmm? I mean, it's not like the gel is thick and needs squeezing from the tube is it? The gel has about as much viscosity as a good motor oil. When using the gel, I have to apply some to my hand, then try not to let it ooze onto the floor of the shower whilst I try to replace the lid single handed. A buit of a faff first thing in the morning.

Other purveyors of shower gel have discovered flip top lids, as have tooth paste manufacturers and their product is thick enough to stay in the tube until squeezed out. Even advertisers have discovered flip tops. Heads in their case.

Think about it next time ::-)

billplumtree

• Plumbing the well of gitness
« Reply #6730 on: 14 August, 2015, 07:56:06 pm »
Why, Bayliss & Harding, is your black pepper and ginseng shower gel in a tube with a screw top lid hmm?

Fuzzy, are you sure it's shower gel, and not a condiment?

tiermat

« Reply #6731 on: 18 August, 2015, 09:52:38 am »
I am at work.

Mrs T is at home.

Mrs T rings me and leaves a message (I was parking my breakfast thus didn't want to answer), saying "Most of the power in the house has gone out".

Once I had finished I ring her back to discover that the definition of "Most" is the downstairs lights, the garage and utility room (both outside), the toaster and the dishwasher.

I ran through the distribution boards checks with her (we have two) and all are in the On position.  Not much else we could do.

Quite how she expected me to fix the problem from 85 miles away, I don't know, nor why it was important to get the bloody toaster working.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #6732 on: 18 August, 2015, 10:00:58 am »
I am at work.

Mrs T is at home.

Mrs T rings me and leaves a message (I was parking my breakfast thus didn't want to answer), saying "Most of the power in the house has gone out".

Once I had finished I ring her back to discover that the definition of "Most" is the downstairs lights, the garage and utility room (both outside), the toaster and the dishwasher.

I ran through the distribution boards checks with her (we have two) and all are in the On position.  Not much else we could do.

Quite how she expected me to fix the problem from 85 miles away, I don't know, nor why it was important to get the bloody toaster working.

It's because when there's trouble you're the person she trusts to help her.

Which is nice :-)
Milk please, no sugar.

tiermat

« Reply #6733 on: 18 August, 2015, 10:09:11 am »
Good point, well put, Ruthie.

I guess I am just a bit grumpy due to being called whilst otherwise engaged...

Marco Stefano

• Apply some pressure, you lose some pressure...
« Reply #6734 on: 18 August, 2015, 01:47:57 pm »
Bloody offset pedals on 'you will be doing the company a favour taking over this' BMW have put me off work due to acute pain in the left upper thigh and inability to walk around much (stairs on all fours, not much sleep between gasps & winces). Sodding ow.

Roll on orthopod referral and VW Golf. And codeine.

« Reply #6735 on: 18 August, 2015, 03:43:58 pm »
customers... and sales reps.... and their lack of understanding of production capacity and how that relates to supply lead time.

Dibdib

• Fat'n'slow
« Reply #6736 on: 19 August, 2015, 05:31:49 pm »
Purchased something a couple of days ago, thankfully low-value and unimportant, from an Etsy seller. I chose this item over a bunch of others primarily because the item location read UK and therefore hopefully it would get here quicker than one from the US, far East, or elsewhere.

The good news is that it was dispatched the morning after I ordered it.
The bad news is that it has an FORRIN POST tracking number.  :facepalm:

I don't mind so much, and if it gets delayed it's not that big a deal, but I'm grumbling mostly at the unnecessary deception. Soured things somewhat.

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #6737 on: 19 August, 2015, 10:41:15 pm »
Misread the date of the Derbyshire Pie Run - didn't think it was on Saturday, when I intended to head up to Mildenhall for the day.  No problem, think I, just join the Mildenhall social ride on Sunday.  Except the trains don't start running early enough to get there in time.  (Before anyone says it, I'm not in shape to ride to Mildenhall and back in a day and do a social ride.)   Now I have to choose one ride over the other. :(
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

« Reply #6738 on: 22 August, 2015, 10:46:24 am »
1. My Wiggle order didn't come with any Haribo.
2. When did Velox rim tape stop saying "Fond de Jante" on it? I don't like the new design. :-\

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #6739 on: 22 August, 2015, 09:32:38 pm »
1. My Wiggle order didn't come with any Haribo.
2. When did Velox rim tape stop saying "Fond de Jante" on it? I don't like the new design. :-\
What?!!! Are you sure it's genuine Velox you've got?
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #6740 on: 23 August, 2015, 05:45:40 pm »
Rain's turned up 2 hours earlier than forecast. What's the betting all the treatment I just put on my garden fence gets washed off again? :-\
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #6741 on: 23 August, 2015, 05:51:00 pm »
It's all right for you.  It has just stopped raining in the last half hour here.  It has rained without ceasing since Thursday.   :(
We've had visitors to entertain for all that time.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Dibdib

• Fat'n'slow
« Reply #6742 on: 23 August, 2015, 08:58:49 pm »
Purchased something a couple of days ago, thankfully low-value and unimportant, from an Etsy seller. I chose this item over a bunch of others primarily because the item location read UK and therefore hopefully it would get here quicker than one from the US, far East, or elsewhere.

The good news is that it was dispatched the morning after I ordered it.
The bad news is that it has an FORRIN POST tracking number.  :facepalm:

I don't mind so much, and if it gets delayed it's not that big a deal, but I'm grumbling mostly at the unnecessary deception. Soured things somewhat.

Aaaaand it's still not even in the UK. Which is strange, considering it supposedly started in Oxford...

While I understand the likely motivation for the deception, based on where it's actually coming from, there will be some "robust" feedback left if it doesn't hurry up and get here soon.

benborp

• benbravoorpapa
« Reply #6743 on: 23 August, 2015, 11:01:26 pm »
I have sorted and separated all the recycling and posted the bits in the relevant holes but what's the point if you are going to insert a fish where no fish should be?
A world of bedlam trapped inside a small cyclist.

benborp

• benbravoorpapa
« Reply #6744 on: 24 August, 2015, 02:28:49 pm »
Why, why by all that's holy would you think that la Communauté de communes des Vals de Saintonge now accepts prawns for recycling? I don't want to know where this is going next.
A world of bedlam trapped inside a small cyclist.

« Reply #6745 on: 24 August, 2015, 09:58:53 pm »
Ah piss. It appears out roof is leaking, that not a good sign is it?  :facepalm:

At least the leak appears mild and probably not that new given the plastic tray in the loft in the general vicinity. I certainly didn't put it there and we've lived here six years  ::-)

I best phone some people tomorrow. At least it's mild enough a leak that I can just call from work and arrange a visit for the weekend rather than staying home to get it sorted right this instant.

Still bloody annoying thobut.

I really hope it's a patch from the inside job rather than scaffolding and roof off. Can't afford the latter  :-\ Fingers crossed.
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #6746 on: 26 August, 2015, 07:14:34 pm »
A grumble that's been building for some time now.

"Put your card in."
<yes, I know!>

*watches little display in the vain hope of beating the next instruction*

"Would you like cash back?"
"What?  Oh, no thank you"

*continues to watch little display*
Tap tap "Enter your pin number (sic)"
<damn, she beat me. - YES I KNOW!>

*poised to rip card out of machine*
"Take your card"
<arrgg!  Yes, I bloody know!

Don't know know why this pisses me off so much.  Maybe I should just chill.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #6747 on: 26 August, 2015, 07:21:04 pm »
A grumble that's been building for some time now.

"Put your card in."
<yes, I know!>

*watches little display in the vain hope of beating the next instruction*

"Would you like cash back?"
"What?  Oh, no thank you"

*continues to watch little display*
Tap tap "Enter your pin number (sic)"
<damn, she beat me. - YES I KNOW!>

*poised to rip card out of machine*
"Take your card"
<arrgg!  Yes, I bloody know!

Don't know know why this pisses me off so much.  Maybe I should just chill.

Nah, just pay with cash cos that really pisses off the shops - handling loads of paper and metal - that's why they're so keen to offer cashback to keep the volume of notes down.

Rob

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #6748 on: 26 August, 2015, 10:39:34 pm »
Unexpected roadworks in the racing area. Unannounced traffic lights mean that tomorrows race is cancelled. The roadworks should have been finished last friday and there is no mention on the council website of them progressing onto that road.
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

« Reply #6749 on: 27 August, 2015, 07:31:38 am »
Prompted by the above:

We've got roadworks on a bridge that should have finished in June. Current speculation is whether they'll be done before bonfire night, when the town needs all the road space it can get.

Meanwhile, I've swapped to paying by card in ticket machines after one took my money, gave change, but no ticket a couple of weeks back. I had to speak to 4 people to get a form for a refund, and 10 days after posting it I've got a letter saying that it will be processed within 10 days. By paying by card, now if I don't get a ticket I will at least have evidence that I paid something.