Author Topic: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.  (Read 1626695 times)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.
« Reply #16100 on: 12 May, 2023, 09:24:51 pm »
Manufacturers of twin and earth cable, it's been over 50 years and a change of colours since the wiring regulations demanded sleeving on the earth wires, so why isn't it built into the cables.

But then you wouldn't be able to strip the outer jacket by pulling on the earth like the bit of string from a tub of Laughing Cow cheese.

« Reply #16101 on: 12 May, 2023, 10:29:01 pm »
Why do chain reaction use EVRI?  Cos my parcel has been out for delivery for days and not made it to me.

Insult to injury is the texts and emails being sent to say the parcel delivery is running late and should be with me at 21...and the emails arrives at 22!

Planetx used to be terrible but now use fedex, and parcel arrived within time slot...
The problem is that the recipient of the parcel is not the customer of the delivery company, the retailer is. As long as the carrier remains cheap and the retailer remains ignorant of the delivery issues no change will occur.

Evri, is the new name for hermes.  Hermes were terrible, so how to improve the consumer perception...make the service better?  Of course not just change the name so the consumer doesn't know they are getiing hermes.  Worst bit is waiting and waiting then getting emails that the package won't be turning up an hour after the time slot.  Best one is the parcel was delivered then getting emails and texts about delays and tha package will be there tomorrow.

We always had good experience with Hermes. Cheery wife and husband team.

I must be old because I don’t nee pd everything I order delivered within 24h. Delayed gratification is better than no gratification.

That said my shoe sage continues, replacement pair is a week into Evri expecting. Let’s hope not the full nine months.

Think that I'm not explaining myself well, the issue isn't the speed of delivery.  The issue is getting a delivery slot time and no delivery, and the text/email that the parcel won't be delivered an hour after the delivery slot has passed, along with the text/email that the delivery is running late.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #16102 on: 13 May, 2023, 07:27:19 am »
Manufacturers of twin and earth cable, it's been over 50 years and a change of colours since the wiring regulations demanded sleeving on the earth wires, so why isn't it built into the cables.

But then you wouldn't be able to strip the outer jacket by pulling on the earth like the bit of string from a tub of Laughing Cow cheese.

Indeed - pulling the earth wire is a very satisfying action . . .  and I guess that sheathing the complete earth wire core would substantially increase the size of the cable and its weight/volume of plastic.

« Reply #16103 on: 13 May, 2023, 08:23:50 am »
We always had good experience with Hermes.

Same applies up here in the Pennines.
Local drivers who know the roads and their customers, and stay in the job long-term.
Safe place to leave parcels is perhaps less of a problem in a rural area as well.
It's a system that works well in a rural location like ours, where delays on the road are perhaps less likely.
In one local area, the drivers post on fb if they think there will be delays (usually at the collection depot).
And when it snows, we all know about it....

I appreciate that in urban areas it must be a lot more difficult to predict times, and to keep staff long enough for them get good at the job.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #16104 on: 13 May, 2023, 11:58:49 am »

Indeed - pulling the earth wire is a very satisfying action . . .  and I guess that sheathing the complete earth wire core would substantially increase the size of the cable and its weight/volume of plastic.

To be fair, some of the FOREIGNS in ABROAD seem to manage.  Makes the cable look weird and flat to BRITISH eyes.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #16105 on: 16 May, 2023, 10:05:58 am »
Buggered my lower back lifting the eBrute onto the workstand.  Sod's Law says that once you're old enough to need an eBike you'll be too decrepit to lift it with impunity.  T42's propositional identity suggests that as bike is to workstand so electric bike is to electric workstand.  T42's propositional consequence is that the bloody thing'll cost more than the bike.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #16106 on: 16 May, 2023, 10:19:21 am »

To be fair, some of the FOREIGNS in ABROAD seem to manage.  Makes the cable look weird and flat to BRITISH eyes.

I'm pretty certain I've heard from a RELIABE source (Teh Internets)  that under the latest regulations earth wire will be covered (and the same gauge) ?

« Reply #16107 on: 16 May, 2023, 10:33:59 am »
It's already possible to buy a T&E with an insulated earth.

https://www.meteorelectrical.com/cables-accessories/cable/6193y-2-5mm-twin-insulated-earth-blue-brown-cable-100m.html

Note that it says "Insulated earth so meet regulations in Ireland".
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #16108 on: 16 May, 2023, 11:14:56 am »
Dear The BBC

Is the Eurovision Cheese Contest really the world’s most important news story today?

Me, I don’t think so.

If only it were. MmmmmMMMmmm cheeeeeeese. You Tubey cheeeeese compo

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #16109 on: 16 May, 2023, 03:11:05 pm »
It's already possible to buy a T&E with an insulated earth.

https://www.meteorelectrical.com/cables-accessories/cable/6193y-2-5mm-twin-insulated-earth-blue-brown-cable-100m.html

Note that it says "Insulated earth so meet regulations in Ireland".

The comment about colours of cables - and the partial change from black/red to blue/brown over the decades reminded me of my ex-wife's thought years ago that the earth wire should be brown!  [She's not ex for reasons of electricity confusion  ;D  ]

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #16110 on: 16 May, 2023, 10:38:29 pm »
It's first cut time.  Hay makers charging through.  Probably till very late judging by those FO search lights they have fitted these days.
Grump.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #16111 on: 17 May, 2023, 09:20:57 am »
the earth wire should be brown!

She's not the only one!

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #16112 on: 17 May, 2023, 09:28:15 am »
Dear The BBC

Is the Eurovision Cheese Contest really the world’s most important news story today?

Me, I don’t think so.
That. Is. A. Disgrace.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #16113 on: 17 May, 2023, 12:44:23 pm »
the earth wire should be brown!

She's not the only one!

Whoever builds Vauxhalls would appear to agree.  I've nearly released the magic smoke because of that (at which point I saw sense and obtained a wiring diagram, where you merely had to think in German).  The great thing about standards is there are so many to choose from.

TBH, it's the black wires that throw me.  By rights they should be the ones with the least electricity on them, so mains wiring going from black meaning neutral to black meaning live just seems arsebackwards.  See also: Leftpondians.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #16114 on: 17 May, 2023, 12:59:39 pm »
Huh? The live wire is brown isn't it? And not just in the UK. Is this a Kim colour-blindness thing? Or a Vauxhall thing? Or has everything changed again post-Brexit (because sovereignty so now we can electrocute ourselves)?
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #16115 on: 17 May, 2023, 01:06:27 pm »
UK wiring (old):

BLACK: Neutral
RED: Live1
YELLOW: Live2
BLUE: Live3
GREEN/YELLOW: Earth

UK Wiring (new, EU-harmonised):

BLUE: Neutral
BROWN: Live1
BLACK: Live2
GREY: Live3
GREEN/YELLOW: Earth

Leftpondians:
WHITE: Neutral
BLACK: Live1
RED: Live2
BLUE: Live3
GREEN: Earth

Any sane car:
BLACK: Chassis ground (battery negative)
RED: Battery positive
YELLOW: Positive when ignition on

Vauxhall:
BROWN: Chassis ground (battery negative)
BLACK: Battery positive
I've recycled the neurons after that, but by that point you're swearing in German and buzzing things out with a multimeter anyway.

(This list is not exhaustive, and it's the official colours, not Kim-vision)

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #16116 on: 17 May, 2023, 01:12:52 pm »
Ooh, I've never had to deal with more than one live. It's enough dealing with one life let alone several lives!

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #16117 on: 17 May, 2023, 01:16:07 pm »
Three-phase is pretty much never seen domestically in the UK (it's more common in ABROAD), though it may become a thing on new builds, because electric cars.

You do occasionally encounter cable designed for three-phase applications in situations where you need extra switched lives for something.  Extractor fans, central heating, etc.  Or when armoured cable that's only available in the three-phase colours is used.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #16118 on: 17 May, 2023, 01:18:40 pm »
FiL had three-phase to his shed, to run his welder at appropriate voltage. But also he was an electrician. In fact, he must have gone directly from no domestic electricity to three-phase.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #16119 on: 17 May, 2023, 01:24:24 pm »
My grandmother's house had a three-phase cut-out, but only a single-phase meter installed.  Seemed eminently sensible.

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #16120 on: 17 May, 2023, 01:52:25 pm »
We are three phase here in this house in Germany but I can’t say I notice anything special.
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #16121 on: 17 May, 2023, 01:53:46 pm »
Meanwhile, going back a bit, Brown= live in plugs/on appliance flexes, along with blue for neutral and green & yellow for earth.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #16122 on: 17 May, 2023, 01:57:30 pm »
Meanwhile, going back a bit, Brown= live in plugs/on appliance flexes, along with blue for neutral and green & yellow for earth.

Yes, that used to be the case even under the old wiring colours, which was odd.  I assume appliances got harmonised earlier.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #16123 on: 17 May, 2023, 02:30:36 pm »
Blimey thoubut, motor insurance seems to have gone up. The meerkat is returning quotes that are in line with the 33% hike in my renewal notice.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #16124 on: 17 May, 2023, 02:33:05 pm »
We are three phase here in this house in Germany but I can’t say I notice anything special.

You generally wouldn't, unless you want to plug in a Turbo Nutter Bastard 5000 welder, or stick your fingers in sockets on different sides of the house at the same time in a Mr Tickle style.