Author Topic: TdF 2011 general discussion thread - likely to contain spoilers  (Read 80763 times)

Re: TdF 2011 general discussion thread - likely to contain spoilers
« Reply #350 on: 19 July, 2011, 09:23:31 pm »
Something that Paul Sherwen mentioned in the live coverage was that Voeckler had stopped to reduce his tyre pressures - I wonder how many in the peloton had the presence of mind to do that? Ok, so softer tyres may be a slight drag if the roads were dry, but on a wet descent, it probably made the difference between having the confidence to ride down at warp speed and tippy-toeing down like a complete n00b.
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #351 on: 19 July, 2011, 09:26:00 pm »
He's been having as many li'l skitterslides as anyone, so it's smart.  It takes a cool head to do that in a race, though, and I'm impressed with that.
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #352 on: 19 July, 2011, 09:28:19 pm »
He ended up in yellow because of the crash.

Which crash do you mean?

If you mean the one that took out Vino et al, you might be right - Cancellara's go-slow let the breakaway extend its lead enough for him to get the margin he needed.

If you mean the crash that took out Flecha and Hoogerland, you're just plain wrong. As the highest placed rider in that five-man group, he was the only one who had a chance of taking yellow if the breakaway went all the way to the line, whether or not he won the stage and regardless of any crashes or their circumstances. He had nothing to gain by losing two men who would have done their stint at the front of the group.

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #353 on: 19 July, 2011, 09:53:06 pm »
It'll be pretty obvious which crash I'm referring to, to anybody who watched that stage.

valkyrie

• Look at the state of your face!
    • West Lothian Clarion
« Reply #354 on: 19 July, 2011, 10:47:35 pm »
How did he exploit the crash?   He was set on gaining time to get the yellow jersey, he might have gained more time had there been five riders in the breakaway rather than the three remaining.   He did speak to his team car , I think they have tv's in the car so they would have been aware of the situation.

He ended up in yellow because of the crash. Not the most sporting way to get a yellow jersey.

I agree with Rainmaker on this one, but I'm curious - who do you think should have ended up in yellow at the end of that stage?
World Class Excuses for Piss-Poor Performances

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #355 on: 19 July, 2011, 11:26:25 pm »
Last year cuddles was riding with some degree of pain following earlier accidents. He was also well off the podium. I would expect that if Evans has a minute on Contador going into the final TT and less than 2:30 behind Tommy rentacar then he would be a dead cert for yellow. Expect another repeat of today with the Schlecks dropped on the descent. Evans, Contador and Voekler can all descend well (as can Sanchez).

Barring accidents I think that Contador and Evans will be on the podium, but who the other will be and the final order I couldn't guess. The Schlecks have to attack big style in up to Galibier. It is their only hope for the podium.
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

« Reply #356 on: 20 July, 2011, 05:55:27 am »
And in years gone by Cadel has not always raced with the confidence he is showing this year, or the brains.  Previously he has not had the team to support him so he found himself isolated and had to wheelsuck before eventually being blown out.  Now we see him up the front with his team doing the work to protect him ala Armstrong etc of previous years.  I was watching his face yesterday for any sign of weakness or real effort and I thought he looked really in control.  I think Contador should be worried.  :thumbsup:

« Reply #357 on: 20 July, 2011, 07:11:15 am »
One of the most pleasing things from the Tour this year is just how close the GC riders are.  No one appears to be doing a Ricco - has the ability to ride away again, and again, and again.  Looking at the likes of Cav after that uphill srpint when he really did give it his all, slumped on the ground trying to get air into his lungs - that is pleasing in that it is no easy.

I also note that Contador looks a lot rougher on all the close up shots than in any other year.  His baby face complexion is no longer present.  His voice is not as high any more either.  ???

« Reply #358 on: 20 July, 2011, 09:19:54 am »
I think it is a captivating spectacle. Contador looks up for a fight now, and the Schlecks seem to have been found out. The next few days are going to be a right scrap.

Certainly looks cleaner, although Contador's rejuvenation after a rest day would have raised eyebrows a couple of years back. The old rest day blood bag trick. I'm not really interested in speculation about this stuff though, I'm just enjoying the show and hoping that the end result will be the end result.

« Reply #359 on: 20 July, 2011, 09:21:23 am »
I also note that Contador looks a lot rougher on all the close up shots than in any other year.  His baby face complexion is no longer present.  His voice is not as high any more either.  ???

So you're saying that Bertie's finally out of puberty?  ;D :demon: ;D
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

JT

• Howay the lads!
    • CTC Peterborough
« Reply #360 on: 20 July, 2011, 09:39:23 am »
Certainly looks cleaner, although Contador's rejuvenation after a rest day would have raised eyebrows a couple of years back. The old rest day blood bag trick. I'm not really interested in speculation about this stuff though, I'm just enjoying the show and hoping that the end result will be the end result.

Considering his circumstances it would be astonishing if Contador wasn't riding this (and probably the Giro) clean.

I'm suspicious of the Schlecks, particularly Frank given his history and, sadly,  Evans too after the Sven S. story (with typical bumbling, denials by team management).

However, I'm enjoying the spectacle regardless of the above. I think yesterday's stage proved that Voekler cannot hold the MJ until Paris and today I expect Contador and Evans to go on the attack again - even if it's only on the descents to put the wind up rat face boy Andrew Schleck.
a great mind thinks alike

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #361 on: 20 July, 2011, 09:43:58 am »

So you're saying that Bertie's finally out of puberty?  ;D :demon: ;D

He's no longer inflating himself with helium to enable him to float over the cols.
et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

Ray 6701

• SO @ T
    • Tamworth cycling club
« Reply #362 on: 20 July, 2011, 12:22:30 pm »
Crashes are a part of the race & if you're in a break up the road when one happens you are not expected to sit up & wait for people to catch up.  Especially so if you're not a GC rider like Tommy V.   As said above this has been one of the best races for years & hopefully the next couple of days will be equally as exciting  :)
SR 2010/11/12/13/14/15
RRTY. PBP. LeJoG 1400. LEL.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #363 on: 20 July, 2011, 12:57:59 pm »
Moar bleating by the Brothers Grimm.
If you can't stand the heat.....

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2011/jul/20/tour-de-france-2011-schleck-dangerous-descent
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

RJ

• Droll rat
« Reply #364 on: 20 July, 2011, 01:20:33 pm »
Moar bleating by the Brothers Grimm.
If you can't stand the heat.....

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2011/jul/20/tour-de-france-2011-schleck-dangerous-descent

My heart bleeds  ;)

This is all fantastic entertainment:
I think it is a captivating spectacle. Contador looks up for a fight now, and the Schlecks seem to have been found out. The next few days are going to be a right scrap.

Plus I've enjoyed Thor Hushovd's stage wins ...

Steve GT

• Crediamo in te, bici!
« Reply #365 on: 20 July, 2011, 01:33:15 pm »
Nice see Cavendish have a gel then put the plastic container into his pocket :thumbsup:

citoyen

« Reply #366 on: 20 July, 2011, 01:34:39 pm »
Samuel Dumoulin commented on twitter the other day about how the riders are expected to be "green" by not discarding bottles, but then there are seven helicopters following the race...

d.

« Reply #367 on: 20 July, 2011, 01:37:24 pm »
Norway is claiming the top three places in yesterday's stage, however tenuously.
http://www.newsinenglish.no/2011/07/19/the-third-norwegian-cycling-hero/
The story at present is that the cold and wet weather is favouring bigger riders, who don't have to spend their time caped up. They'd usually be seen sweating at the back of the field, unable to repsond to the accelerations of the whippet-men. But the stick-thin boys can't risk a cold, the situation will change if the weather warms up.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #368 on: 20 July, 2011, 02:44:49 pm »
Norway is claiming the top three places in yesterday's stage, however tenuously.
http://www.newsinenglish.no/2011/07/19/the-third-norwegian-cycling-hero/
The story at present is that the cold and wet weather is favouring bigger riders, who don't have to spend their time caped up. They'd usually be seen sweating at the back of the field, unable to repsond to the accelerations of the whippet-men. But the stick-thin boys can't risk a cold, the situation will change if the weather warms up.

I think you missed the schadenfreude smiley from your post, ESL.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #369 on: 20 July, 2011, 04:08:43 pm »
Well done to EBH for a fantastic ride.  I've probably said it before but that guy's a star.  :thumbsup:

citoyen

« Reply #370 on: 20 July, 2011, 04:14:13 pm »
Well done to EBH for a fantastic ride.  I've probably said it before but that guy's a star.  :thumbsup:

+1

d.

« Reply #371 on: 20 July, 2011, 05:02:37 pm »
That final descent didn't look that bad. :demon:

Mind you, today was sunny and I wouldn't need to be riding down it quite as fast as those guys. ;D

gonzo

« Reply #372 on: 20 July, 2011, 05:09:00 pm »
I still reckon that the schlecks are planning something! I've got the afternoons off tomorrow and Friday so I can find out just what they've got up their (aerodynamic) sleeves!

Justin(e)

• On my way out of here
« Reply #373 on: 20 July, 2011, 05:26:21 pm »
I still reckon that the schlecks are planning something! I've got the afternoons off tomorrow and Friday so I can find out just what they've got up their (aerodynamic) sleeves!

But can they execute?

I think it is Contador/Evans for the top spot.

and the rest to fight it out for third.  Andy, Frank, Voeckler and Sanchez.

C'mon Cadel, or "Yell for Cadel" as they want to us to say down here.

« Reply #374 on: 20 July, 2011, 05:54:09 pm »
Of the GC contenders...

Voeckler:
We can forget about him for the overall, he'll crack on either the Col d'Izoard or on the Galibier tomorrow, there won't be any mid-stage truces like we've had on the last two days to give him an easy ride to the finish.

Evans:
He's probably in the best position, being a better tester than the Schecks he knows that he can afford to lose a little time to Frank, and Andy has to claw back 1'18" before he's even level. He's got 2 minutes on Contador, so again, he can afford to do just enough to limit losses on the stages.

Frank Schleck:
Needs to put 1-2 minutes on Evans to have a buffer zone for Saturday, though 3 minutes might be preferable.

Andy Schleck:
Needs to beat Evans by 2 minutes per stage to have a buffer on Saturday. Too much to ask?

Samuel Sanchez:
He'll be joined at the hip to Contador through the Alps. Not sure what his time-trialling is like, a good bet for the podium, maybe not the overall,

Alberto Contador:
Just under 2 minutes behind Evans, I reckon he'll want a minute or two on the Aussie. The question is whether he waits for the final climb tomorrow before lighting the blue paper, or will he try to go early? Alberto attacks!

Damiano Cunego and Ivan Basso aren't that far behind Contador, but despite them being in the final selection a few times, I'm not sure that either can do enough to get the overall.