Author Topic: TdF 2011 general discussion thread - likely to contain spoilers  (Read 80776 times)

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
Re: TdF 2011 general discussion thread - likely to contain spoilers
« Reply #525 on: 22 July, 2011, 05:06:53 pm »
And now we wait to see if Cav will make it to the top in time.

It is going to be close tomorrow. I'd put money on evans to take 57" out of Andy Schleck when there is a yellow jersey up for grabs.

..d
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

« Reply #526 on: 22 July, 2011, 05:12:15 pm »
France 2 saying time limit is 25 mins 9 seconds and apparently Cav was 23 minutes behind at the bottom of Alpe d'Huez...

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
« Reply #527 on: 22 July, 2011, 05:14:03 pm »
I missed the last few Kms due to work getting in the way, and I'm deliberately not looking at people's comments so as not to spoil m'watching the highlights at 7!!!
Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex

« Reply #528 on: 22 July, 2011, 05:16:54 pm »
France 2 saying time limit is 25 mins 9 seconds and apparently Cav was 23 minutes behind at the bottom of Alpe d'Huez...

Gilbert has made it, but he's too far behind in the points to worry about. No sign that Rojas has finished yet...
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #529 on: 22 July, 2011, 05:22:05 pm »
Cav and Rojas finished in a big group together, 17 seconds outside the time limit. Cav will arrive in Paris in green! Hurrah!

(Assuming they don't throw the ~60 riders in that group out...) Edit: He's just been presented the green jersey.

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

citoyen

« Reply #530 on: 22 July, 2011, 05:24:50 pm »
The fans on Alpe d'Huez seemed even more barking than usual.

Did you see the chap in medical get-up bothering Contador? He did not like that!  ;D

d.

« Reply #531 on: 22 July, 2011, 05:25:32 pm »

Gilbert has made it, but he's too far behind in the points to worry about. No sign that Rojas has finished yet...

Rojas and Cav finished a few seconds outside the limit, in a big group with Hushovd and Greipel, to name but a few out of about 50. No news on the TdF site about elimination/points-docking.

Edit ^^^ Wot citoyen said.

(I'm watching on video with 20mins time-delay.)

The journey is always more important than the destination

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #532 on: 22 July, 2011, 05:26:30 pm »
Phew. I cannow get on with life. Money on Cuddles for the yellow tomorrow.

"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

« Reply #533 on: 22 July, 2011, 05:28:38 pm »
Cav and Rojas finished in a big group together, 17 seconds outside the time limit. Cav will arrive in Paris in green! Hurrah!

(Assuming they don't throw the ~60 riders in that group out...) Edit: He's just been presented the green jersey.

d.

Cav's just been presented with the green jersey, and it doesn't look as though points have been docked (due to the closeness of missing the cut?) so the status quo is preserved until Sunday. The grupetto was 85-167th position, which is definitely >20% of the start list.

EDIT - points were deducted (Letour.com a bit tardy with the update), but no biggie, Cav still has a cushion over Rojas.  :thumbsup:
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

« Reply #534 on: 22 July, 2011, 05:28:38 pm »

Did you see the chap in medical get-up bothering Contador? He did not like that!  ;D

d.

Particularly nasty. These guys are trying to make a living when they're riding up the Alpe.

But what bothers me more is the possibility of some pisshead elbowing a leading rider off the piste (as someone did to Guiseppe Guerini a few years ago).

I was really pissed off to see that some of the "fans" were more interested in getting their ugly mugs onto TV than encouraging/discouraging/barracking the riders.

« Reply #535 on: 22 July, 2011, 05:36:28 pm »
That was amazing. A proper bike race.

At last a Frenchman has won something. Sad that Voeckler cracked, though. What was that wobbly he was throwing just before the Galibier tunnel?

Perhaps he'd just realised that trying to bridge the gap to the Contador group wasn't the best thing to have done. Once the race hit the Alpe, Voeckler paid for expending so much energy on the Galibier.

By way of a contrast, Evans didn't panic, he steadily worked his way back to the lead group over the course of the stage, just like yesterday.

And that's saying something...  :o

citoyen

« Reply #536 on: 22 July, 2011, 05:42:42 pm »
Particularly nasty. These guys are trying to make a living when they're riding up the Alpe.

Aye. It's funny up to a point, but it does make you think there ought to be stricter crowd control on the mountains.

Just hope it doesn't take an "incident" to make the organisers do something about it... Given how unpopular Contador is among certain sections of the crowd, it's amazing no-one has tried anything on him already.

d.

« Reply #537 on: 22 July, 2011, 05:50:34 pm »

Aye. It's funny up to a point, but it does make you think there ought to be stricter crowd control on the mountains.

They already use 4km of barriers up there! They could fence off the whole 13km, but there'd be a balance to be struck between tradition (the TdF is free to watch and coming to a road near you), advertising/PR (yes, we want you to watch and see all the nice logos) and safety.

Just hope it doesn't take an "incident" to make the organisers do something about it... Given how unpopular Contador is among certain sections of the crowd, it's amazing no one has tried anything on him already.

d.

The worst I've seen yet was the guy dangling a steak on a stick in front of Bertie on the Zoncalan. And he does seem to be a bit more popular now after the alleged knee trouble and his patchy performance.

Justin(e)

• On my way out of here
« Reply #538 on: 22 July, 2011, 05:59:06 pm »
Wow, the last couple of days racing have been magnificent.

C'mon Cadel.

I think his guts and determinantion have been admirable this time.  The 'squeaky voiced one' has showed real maturity in the way that he has raced this year.

Another night glued to the tele tomorrow.

gonzo

« Reply #539 on: 22 July, 2011, 06:31:27 pm »
I quite liked the comment that we should have this course every year!

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #540 on: 22 July, 2011, 06:44:42 pm »

It's not likely but I hope they do not re-introduce the prologue time trial.It's the lack of this feature which set the Tour up to be a race this year instead of a procession as in recent years

citoyen

TdF 2011 general discussion thread - likely to contain spoilers
« Reply #541 on: 22 July, 2011, 07:13:52 pm »
Wiggo would have won this Tour, you know.

d.

citoyen

« Reply #542 on: 22 July, 2011, 07:17:10 pm »

It's not likely but I hope they do not re-introduce the prologue time trial.It's the lack of this feature which set the Tour up to be a race this year instead of a procession as in recent years

Not sure a short prologue would have made as much difference as Contador losing all that time on the first stage. Would have been a very different race if that hadn't happened. And if Wiggo hadn't crashed out...

So many variables to consider.

d.

Martin

« Reply #543 on: 22 July, 2011, 08:51:30 pm »
Cav and Rojas finished in a big group together, 17 seconds outside the time limit. Cav will arrive in Paris in green!

assuming no sprints tomorrow how many points are up for grabs on Sunday?

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #544 on: 22 July, 2011, 08:58:35 pm »
As this has become decidedly topical, here are Schlandy and Cuddles' previous TdF ITT times.

Year                           2010          2009          2008          2007
ITT distance (km)     52              40.5           53              55.5
Cadel Evans              01:11:54   00:49:45   01:05:55   01:03:35
Andy Schleck            01:07:10   00:50:15   01:07:52   --

Cuddles' lead            -0:4:44         0:0:30    00:01:57   --

I can't remember what happened to Cuddles last year, I wasn't paying attention to him at the time.  He'll surely put in a strong ride tomorrow, but so will Mr Schleck.  The latter did a storming last year, but what's to say he won't do that again?  I'm sticking with Schleck for this one.

[EDIT: No, no points for a TT!  Cav will be wearing the green jersey as he enters Paris.  As a flat stage, there are the normal 20 then 40 points for intermediate sprint (yes there is one) and the finish.]

« Reply #545 on: 22 July, 2011, 09:08:02 pm »
That was amazing. A proper bike race.

At last a Frenchman has won something. Sad that Voeckler cracked, though.
+1

Rolland said at the finish that Voeckler had said something like "Forget me, I'm done. Go for it." Nice touch, & it motivated Rolland, as he felt he had to win, to justify it.

Yet another excellent stage in a superb race. The route designers have done a tremendous job, & the cyclists have made the most of it.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

citoyen

« Reply #546 on: 22 July, 2011, 09:17:01 pm »
Don't forget Cuddles has done this TT course already in the Dauphiné, which should work to his advantage.

d.

Steve Kish

• World's No. 1 moaner about the weather.
« Reply #547 on: 22 July, 2011, 09:58:02 pm »
I recon Cuddles will do it but I'm rooting for ' Heart of a Lion' Tommy V to pull one out of the bag and kick one Schleckie off the big steps after the Paris sprint .... which Cav should do for his hat-trick.
Old enough to know better!

« Reply #548 on: 22 July, 2011, 10:08:35 pm »
I recon Cuddles will do it but I'm rooting for ' Heart of a Lion' Tommy V to pull one out of the bag .

+1. But I don't think he will. He looked completely shagged out and demoralised today.

« Reply #549 on: 22 July, 2011, 10:10:40 pm »
Nice story here about Bernard Eisel and David Millar helping one another on today's stage

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/video-eisel-talks-time-limits-at-lalpe-dhuez