Author Topic: TdF 2011 general discussion thread - likely to contain spoilers  (Read 80372 times)

Euan Uzami

Re: TdF 2011 general discussion thread - likely to contain spoilers
« Reply #625 on: 24 July, 2011, 09:04:28 pm »
Can somebody please explain, it was said today that cadel evans only had to finish to keep the yellow jersey and win, but in total he was only 1 and a bit minutes ahead of andy schleck, so why didn't he have to finish within that time of him?
Is it true or not that he had already won prior to the last stage?

« Reply #626 on: 24 July, 2011, 09:14:11 pm »
Barring a Schleck breakaway, they would all be in the peleton with no significant time gaps

« Reply #627 on: 24 July, 2011, 09:15:02 pm »
It is not done to attack the yellow jersey on the last day. Also, the course isn't really suitable for it.
Evans needed to finish within 1m36s of Andy today.
Forgive me Father, for I have sinned. It has been too many days since I have ridden through the night with a brevet card in my pocket...

border-rider

« Reply #628 on: 24 July, 2011, 10:25:14 pm »
Just watched today's highlights

That must be the best TdF I've ever seen, by a long way :)

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #629 on: 25 July, 2011, 12:04:13 am »
OK this has been bugging me for a while now - why "Cuddles"?

I dug out a clip of Keith Harris and his simian sidekick and I couldn't see the similarity. Is he supposed to look like him or sound like him? Or is it a play on his name? Please explain.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #630 on: 25 July, 2011, 01:44:49 am »

I don't know but I assumed it was just because it sounds a bit like his name. What kind of a name is Cadel anyway? Never heard of anyone else with that name.

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #631 on: 25 July, 2011, 03:46:21 am »

I don't know but I assumed it was just because it sounds a bit like his name. What kind of a name is Cadel anyway? Never heard of anyone else with that name.

d.

Welsh, the Evans bit is a giveaway. His middle name is Lee, which is perhaps who he models his free and easy demeanour on.

« Reply #632 on: 25 July, 2011, 07:18:24 am »

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
TdF 2011 general discussion thread - likely to contain spoilers
« Reply #633 on: 25 July, 2011, 08:20:13 am »
Welsh, the Evans bit is a giveaway. His middle name is Lee, which is perhaps who he models his free and easy demeanour on.

Fair enough. It does sound a bit Welsh now you mention it.

Love the idea of Cadel doing slapstick standup.

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #635 on: 25 July, 2011, 08:57:55 am »
This Aussie interview shows how fast the cycling is in the background.  From watching the ITV4 highlights and live you don't get this side on perspective.  They are flying - literally a blur.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/sport/clean-freak-cadel-evans-triomphe/story-fn8sc2wz-1226100922200

« Reply #636 on: 25 July, 2011, 09:06:31 am »

I always thought it was because, in interviews in previous years, he's always come across as such a spiky, miserable sod. Remember the "interview with a crash helmet"?

I think he's just very shy. This year he's been a lot more outgoing - perhaps he's had a course in handling the media. Or he's just more confident.
The journey is always more important than the destination

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #637 on: 25 July, 2011, 09:14:54 am »
I googled it and the only thing I could come up with was that it's similar to how the French pronounce his name. Whatever the reason, it does kinda suit him.

Also, his great-grandfather was Welsh. Cadel may sound Welsh (especially with the addition of Evans), but my first language is Welsh and I've never heard of anybody else with that name - but there were a few kings many centuries ago with the name Cadell.

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #638 on: 25 July, 2011, 09:44:05 am »
RE. David Millar - which channel do you think he's got his eye on the commentary job for?

Paul Kimmage said that his nickname in the peloton was "Monsieur Journalist" or somesuch.  I've been wondering lately what Millar's getting called - it can't be too dissimilar. 

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #639 on: 25 July, 2011, 12:27:20 pm »
I noticed Thor and EBH were both wearing black armbands.  It would have been nice if they'd been allowed to lead across the line on the first lap or something.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #640 on: 25 July, 2011, 12:34:43 pm »
I noticed Thor and EBH were both wearing black armbands.  It would have been nice if they'd been allowed to lead across the line on the first lap or something.

Well, they had a minute's silence at the start, with most of the riders bare-headed and EBH and Thor at the front. Prudhomme then shook the Norwegians' hands and had a word.

After the Depart Fictif, the jersey wearers led, with EBH and Thor next, for the photo opps and general faffing-about before the Depart Real.

They stayed near(ish) the front until the race reached the Champs Elysee and all hell let loose.
The journey is always more important than the destination

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #641 on: 25 July, 2011, 01:57:59 pm »
I think the whole Sky team were wearing black armbands - looking at Swifty at the end. Hard to tell from the front with the Sky jerseys though.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #642 on: 25 July, 2011, 03:29:28 pm »
It is not done to attack the yellow jersey on the last day. Also, the course isn't really suitable for it.
Evans needed to finish within 1m36s of Andy today.
I think it's more about probabilities than etiquette. There have been attacks in the post-war ("modern") period, though I don't know if any succeeded.

With Evans still having a few teammates left, he and a sprinter's team would always chase down any breakaway. And 1m36 is indeed a big gap on such a short/flat stage.

Incidentally:
The attacks from minor riders seemed to start much later than usual this year. Did I imagine this, or was there a different etiquette this year for some reason?

Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #643 on: 25 July, 2011, 03:31:19 pm »
They weren't attacking Evans

« Reply #644 on: 25 July, 2011, 03:40:58 pm »
I googled it and the only thing I could come up with was that it's similar to how the French pronounce his name. Whatever the reason, it does kinda suit him.

Also, his great-grandfather was Welsh. Cadel may sound Welsh (especially with the addition of Evans), but my first language is Welsh and I've never heard of anybody else with that name - but there were a few kings many centuries ago with the name Cadell.

Welsh names seem to be phonetic and the spelling varies with region and down to valleys.
http://www.thinkbabynames.com/meaning/1/Cadel
Cad constructions in Welsh might echo Cadw, to keep, which is the name of the Welsh National Heritage body.

« Reply #645 on: 25 July, 2011, 04:36:27 pm »
I think we tend to think that everyone is self-promoting in this day and age. But there is a thread in human culture that holds that you risk the wrath of the Gods if you stand out. Cadel changed from a yellow bike to his standard one during the ride yesterday. There is also the 'Tall Poppy Syndrome' which is especially prevelant in Australia.

The phrase has been in more common use since Jack Lang, Premier of New South Wales, described his egalitarian policies as "cutting the heads off tall poppies" in 1931. "Mr. Lang made some of the tall poppies suffer who could be made to suffer."[5] "The tall poppies of the party had dragged Mr. Lang's name into the debate to cloud the issue."[6]

Australians argue, however, that they only cut down Tall Poppies that act in an arrogant or aloof manner. A person can have great talent or prowess and if they combine that with humility or self-deprecating humor they will not be cut down. This can be seen in the success of Kylie Minogue, Hugh Jackman, Ian Thorpe, and Steve Irwin. Australians do not begrudge success to those who do not act above themselves. It is the attitude not the success that determines the cultural reaction.

Cadel is problematic because he doesn't seem to have any of the Australian characteristic of 'Mateship' so he sticks out due to that, he compounds that by being retiring. The Yellow Jersey demands that its wearer is available for interview. This year's Tour worked to perfection for him, he spent the minimum time in Yellow and Voeckler diverted attention.

gonzo

« Reply #646 on: 25 July, 2011, 05:04:04 pm »
Cuddles? Because it sounds a bit like Cadel and also because he's the most miserable rider out there!

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #647 on: 25 July, 2011, 06:18:06 pm »
They weren't attacking Evans
Oh sure - but I think there's etiquette that the leader gets to drink bubbly with his team (and other nonsense) before the 'real' racing (i.e. for the stage win) starts.

It just seemed to start later this year. Maybe.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Steve Kish

• World's No. 1 moaner about the weather.
« Reply #648 on: 25 July, 2011, 07:49:40 pm »
why "Cuddles"?

Sorry, I believe I started this. ::-)

In the 1980s, my team-mate Warwick Rowe had a younger brother called Cadel.  That was his nickname!! ;D
Old enough to know better!

Rig of Jarkness

• An Englishman abroad
« Reply #649 on: 25 July, 2011, 07:59:35 pm »
Sigh, I'm missing it already.  :(

Still, only 49 weeks to go before it starts again  :thumbsup:
Aero but not dynamic