Author Topic: TdF 2011 general discussion thread - likely to contain spoilers  (Read 80963 times)

Re: TdF 2011 general discussion thread - likely to contain spoilers
« Reply #200 on: 13 July, 2011, 11:31:52 am »
If it had worked it takes a few points of Cav and the other sprinters so good for Thor. If it doesn't it might also make the other sprinters a bit more tired the next day as they have to reel him in. Win win.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #201 on: 13 July, 2011, 11:55:43 am »
So, chances of Cav in green tonight? Can't see Cav getting it wrong two days running, so I'm putting my mortgage on the stage win for him. Whether he gets enough points to overtake Gilbert largely depends on how Gilbert places, I guess.

Paris could yet end up being decisive... ooh!

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Clare

• Is in NZ
« Reply #202 on: 13 July, 2011, 12:35:00 pm »
Not sure what's going on but according to Eurosport NL Malta are 3-1 up against Thailand which is an odd score for TdF  ???

Oooh, it's all gone very quiet, we'll channel our inner Liggett.

gonzo

« Reply #203 on: 13 July, 2011, 01:42:44 pm »
Is it just me or is this the most exciting tour in recent memory? I don't think anyone would like to put serious money on a winner of any of the 4 jersey competitions!

« Reply #204 on: 13 July, 2011, 02:04:31 pm »
Yes it is, for a number of reasons. The lack of a prologue means no early selection. Contador looks less strong than in previous years, but also seems isolated and unsupported. Added to which his early time loss means everyone is sensing blood. Cadel is fierce. Schleck is keeping his powder dry, and HTC and Cav have to get things perfect if they want a win. It is interesting to note Cav's sprinting grimace shows signs of greater exertion than before.

Best of all, since the race is in the mountains until the penultimate day, it could be a fight all the way.

I think it shows just how good Armstrong was at stage races.

gonzo

« Reply #205 on: 13 July, 2011, 02:09:47 pm »
How much of the ingredients to an exciting race are also the things causing high rates of crashes this year then do you think?

« Reply #206 on: 13 July, 2011, 02:19:00 pm »
Millar, I think, was saying that everybody wants to be at the front this year, which is why there have been so many crashes. Perhaps that is a result of the race being open.

« Reply #207 on: 13 July, 2011, 02:22:22 pm »
It is interesting to note Cav's sprinting grimace shows signs of greater exertion than before.

Course design. Lots of uphill finishes or flattish finishes after a quite hilly day. He talked about this in an interview. He thinks maybe this years course was designed to stop HTC dominating the sprints so much. He wasn't biging himself up particularly more implying that the HTC leadout train was now so slick the TdF organisers were deliberately trying to derail it a bit.

« Reply #208 on: 13 July, 2011, 02:37:59 pm »
Millar, I think, was saying that everybody wants to be at the front this year, which is why there have been so many crashes. Perhaps that is a result of the race being open.

Yesterday:
Quote from: David Millar on Twitter
About 10km into race we had first big crash. Big wide straight road, smooth surface, DRY, and UPHILL. Still we crash. Embarassing now.

Throw in poor peloton etiquette (half-wheeling and hitting the brakes are a big no-no, ne c'est pas?) or a lack of proper bike handling madskilz, then.
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

citoyen

« Reply #209 on: 13 July, 2011, 04:15:10 pm »
Cav wins, now in green with a 20pt margin over Gilbert. I reckon he's a shoo-in for two more wins - stage 15 and Paris - so that ought to mean the green jersey's in the bag.

Gilbert looks to me like he's fading.

d.

« Reply #210 on: 13 July, 2011, 04:19:24 pm »
So, chances of Cav in green tonight? Can't see Cav getting it wrong two days running, so I'm putting my mortgage on the stage win for him. Whether he gets enough points to overtake Gilbert largely depends on how Gilbert places, I guess.

Paris could yet end up being decisive... ooh!

d.

So your mortgage is paid off then?  ;D
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

citoyen

« Reply #211 on: 13 July, 2011, 04:22:56 pm »
If only I'd meant it literally... <sigh>  :facepalm:

d.

« Reply #212 on: 13 July, 2011, 07:56:46 pm »
I enjoyed tonight's update.  Cav was positively beaming.  Well done to him.
Millar went off - again.   :thumbsup:

« Reply #213 on: 13 July, 2011, 08:42:13 pm »
Renshaw did a cracking job of getting Cav through the last couple of Km too.

« Reply #214 on: 13 July, 2011, 09:06:39 pm »
Cav getting his face wiped as if he was a child before the interview was hilarious

« Reply #215 on: 13 July, 2011, 09:11:42 pm »
Millar's closing comments, and look, about looking forward to seeing tomorrow on the highlights made me smile.

Rig of Jarkness

• An Englishman abroad
« Reply #216 on: 13 July, 2011, 09:12:44 pm »
Another brilliant ride from HTC and Cav  :thumbsup:

Nice story about the kids from Ramsay Grammar School, they got their own tweet from Cav.

Forgot to acknowledge Sean Yates' epic 8 hours on the rest day.  On the Eurosport commentary he was saying he's in training for the 12 hour championship.  (I think he was being serious).  What an intriguing prospect  :)
Aero but not dynamic

« Reply #217 on: 13 July, 2011, 10:54:21 pm »
Gilbert looks to me like he's fading.

d.
I don't think he's fading - yet - he's just not really an all-out sprinter.  And it doesn't help when Greipel takes some of his intermediate sprint points from him.

Reasons why I think the tour has been more exciting this year, so far:

Rather than the 6 or 7 'real', predicatable, sprint stages we would normally have had, there have been 2 or 3.  The others have been like classics races with punchy hills at or near the end.  That gave hopes of stage wins for the classics-type riders like Gilbert, Hushovd, Cancellara, EBH, Goss and Cunego, as well as the real sprinters, and the tougher GC men like Evans and Contador, who were also hoping to get a few seconds gaps for the GC and to make a point.   That's an awful lot of riders with hopes of a win/jersey, and an awful lot more trying to get them to the front and keep them there.  The roads just weren't big enough.

The change to the intermediate sprints has been good.  Previously they have had little bearing on the points competition, with the breakaway riders, with no interest in them, mopping them up.  This year, with points still up for grabs by the time the peloton gets there, there's been something to race for.  Before the ride it wasn't clear if it was going to be worth the effort.

I'm looking forward to the mountains tomorrow, and to Chasing Legends on ITV4.

fuzzy

« Reply #218 on: 13 July, 2011, 11:17:36 pm »
A cracking stage today and Jens Voigt being interviewed fro ITV4- result :thumbsup:

Simonb

« Reply #219 on: 13 July, 2011, 11:26:38 pm »

I don't think he's fading - yet - he's just not really an all-out sprinter.  And it doesn't help when Greipel takes some of his intermediate sprint points from him.

Perhaps Gilbert didn't feel up to it today; so Greipel was sent up to deny Cav the points (obv. he can beat Cav).

« Reply #220 on: 14 July, 2011, 12:17:13 am »
I don't think anyone would like to put serious money on a winner of any of the 4 jersey competitions!
Andy Schleck is in a very strong position. He's never been seen in the thick of the action, but to be <2mins down on the yellow jersey, he's kept well up the field, out of trouble and presumably biding his time for an attack in the really tough mountain stages. Contador seems tired. Had a few crashes, maybe because of tiredness, or is he just really unlucky?
I think that Shleck was Contador's biggest challenger and as Contador seems out of it, I think this will be Schleck's year.
Then again, what do I know? ;D

Cavendish for Green. The bloke who beat him looks like he'll struggle to carry his big muscles over the mounains hanging onto the autobus.

« Reply #221 on: 14 July, 2011, 12:27:42 am »
I don't think I'd rule Contador out just yet.....

citoyen

« Reply #222 on: 14 July, 2011, 12:37:31 am »
The speculation ends on Thursday...

d.

« Reply #223 on: 14 July, 2011, 06:32:59 am »
The number of GC riders that are continually on the front and marking moves and even going themselves - Cadel and Alberto - has made it the most exciting race for the first week - that I can remember.  The coverage this year has been very enjoyable.  I enjoy it when they do the interviews with the English riders and legends like Voigt as well.

« Reply #224 on: 14 July, 2011, 08:05:41 am »
Jens was ace. "Who are you most impressed with this year ?" "Me - 40 and till being picked to ride" classic Jens.