Author Topic: The YACF Bumper book of Plot Holes  (Read 15061 times)

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
Re: The YACF Bumper book of Plot Holes
« Reply #25 on: 14 April, 2015, 12:26:11 pm »
I am surprised that The Day After Tomorrow[/b] hasn't made an appearance yet, in this thread.

Firstly the world could NOT cool down that quick, no way.

Secondly how on earth did they get from Chicago to New York (via some other place*) and still approach from the south.  On this topic, how did they manage to walk that distance in THREE days, in arctic conditions?

Thirdly, if you are in New York Central Library, the sea, and harbour, are to the EAST, so jumping on a ship which is passing, coming from the east, and hoping to get to the sea is a bit of a no hoper.

*I can't remember the other place, but it is to the north west of New York)
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #26 on: 14 April, 2015, 12:32:45 pm »
Independence Day.  Even the most 1337 of h@xx0r5 would have been hard-pressed to unravel Alien-OS to the extent of writing a virus for it in that length of time.  And they probably wouldn't have used a Mac for doing it either.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #27 on: 14 April, 2015, 12:38:53 pm »
Time travel doesn't exist, so I don't mind stories making up their own rules for it (though that counts as your one suspension of disbelief, so make it count).  They just have to apply them consistently, and dealing with the grandfather paradox is a big part of that.  I don't have a problem with a time traveller effectively creating a parallel universe when they go back in time, so their original timeline remains unaltered.

That was how Deja Vu tried avoiding falling past the plot hole event horizon:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0453467/faq#.2.1.4
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Deja_Vu_Timeline.GIF
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

« Reply #28 on: 14 April, 2015, 12:41:06 pm »
Minority Report - 1) Women who have been kept unconscious in a pool of water for years would not be able to get up and run about as soon as Tom Cruise wakes them up, and 2) if a police officer has gone rogue and gone on the run, surely his employer would revoke his security clearance so he has no need to keep his own eyeball for the scanner?

This is one of my big ones.
I spent six weeks in traction and had to re-learn how to walk. It really does not take long for all your muscles to atrophy.

See also: loads of other films where people run away super speedily without any training whatsover.

« Reply #29 on: 14 April, 2015, 12:45:55 pm »
I am surprised that The Day After Tomorrow[/b] hasn't made an appearance yet, in this thread.

Well it's probably due to everyone who wasted a small, but significant, part of their lives watching it having their memories thereof deleted and then over-written to NSA-approved standards.   ;)
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #30 on: 14 April, 2015, 01:01:16 pm »
Independence Day.  Even the most 1337 of h@xx0r5 would have been hard-pressed to unravel Alien-OS to the extent of writing a virus for it in that length of time.  And they probably wouldn't have used a Mac for doing it either.

Yeah, but it was nice when his laptop said "Good morning, Dave".
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #31 on: 14 April, 2015, 01:11:49 pm »
My Windows desktop box used to say "I'm sorry, Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that" and "Just what do you think you are doing, Dave?" at (in)appropriate times, but the best piece of moving-picture spoddery in recent years was in Aussie conspiracy thriller "The Code"; the chest-cam footage of one copper during a police raid identified him as "Sgt. L. Torvalds" :D

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #32 on: 14 April, 2015, 01:14:58 pm »

Firstly the world could NOT cool down that quick, no way.

Do cheesy disaster movie premises count as plot holes?

If so, I nominate Volcano.  Positively brilliant in its implausibility.

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #33 on: 14 April, 2015, 11:10:16 pm »
Do cheesy disaster movie premises count as plot holes?

Cheesy movies with plot holes?

Emmental Movies.
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

« Reply #34 on: 15 April, 2015, 01:05:17 pm »
Are there any movies with an accurate depiction of hacking?
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #35 on: 15 April, 2015, 01:22:38 pm »

Unlikely, but: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51lGCTgqE_w

Clear and Present Danger has that scene where the 1337 CIA analyst, instead of using some MovieOS super cracking program, starts manually trying passwords based on birth dates in the villain's file, Jack Ryan eyerolls and walks off, and he arrives at the right combination before Jack leaves the room.  This is unfortunately cancelled out by the later scene with the race to the <Print Screen> button.

I'll also nominate Sneakers, which has a standard implausible code-breaking macguffin driving the plot, but gets an uncharacteristic number of the smaller details right, particularly with regard to social engineering.

Wascally Weasel

• Slayer of Dragons and killer of threads.
« Reply #36 on: 15 April, 2015, 01:25:12 pm »

Considering how old it is Wargames isn't bad - although I think it's technically cracking rather than hacking in that case?

It's got mentions of back doors and shows Lightman logging in to his school admin computer by simply finding out where they write down the password.  I think the 'current' one in the film is pencil.

One thing they didn't have when it was made was voice synthesisers as good as the one in the movie, they got the same actor who played Professor Falken to read all of the words individually and then processed them a bit and stuck them into meaningful sentences.

The dvd commentary is pretty good on all this stuff, I loved the bit where the makers said that the real NORAD people claimed that the movie set of their Cheyenne Mountain base was way better than the real thing and that they would have loved a base that size.

essexian

« Reply #37 on: 15 April, 2015, 01:32:38 pm »
I forget the name of the film…it was out about 10 years ago and concerned an asteroid hitting the Earth (somewhere over the USA of course) before killing us all to “DETH”…….

I got told off for shouting at the part where the asteroid flies in at about 10mph…well it seems that slow as people have the time to get to the hills to try and avoid it. Problem with that being that the Asteroid is likely to be as large as the atmosphere is deep and is likely to travel at many thousands of miles an hour. Thus, unlike the recent Russian meteorite explosion, there won’t be any time to take a nice photo. Finally, even if there was, the shockwave the rock would produce would wipe anything in the way out as it arrived.

Shocking film…almost as bad as Jumpers!   

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #38 on: 15 April, 2015, 01:43:26 pm »

Considering how old it is Wargames isn't bad - although I think it's technically cracking rather than hacking in that case?

Good call.  The main blooper is war-dialling with an acoustic coupler modem (which as any fule know can't take the phone on/off hook), but I'll forgive that as, quite reasonably, the acoustic coupler served to illustrate what a modem was to an audience who wouldn't have been familiar with the concept.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #39 on: 15 April, 2015, 01:46:07 pm »
The dvd commentary is pretty good on all this stuff, I loved the bit where the makers said that the real NORAD people claimed that the movie set of their Cheyenne Mountain base was way better than the real thing and that they would have loved a base that size.

(Boggles)

It take about twenty minutes to drive past the place though to be scrupulously fair that's more a reflection on the traffic in Colorado Springs.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #40 on: 15 April, 2015, 01:47:15 pm »
I forget the name of the film…it was out about 10 years ago and concerned an asteroid hitting the Earth (somewhere over the USA of course) before killing us all to “DETH”…….

I got told off for shouting at the part where the asteroid flies in at about 10mph…well it seems that slow as people have the time to get to the hills to try and avoid it.

Deep Impact.

That was the credible one (I'll forgive it the high hobbit content, on the basis that the spaceship used an Orion drive and they had Morgan Freeman as president).  Armageddon - the Bruce Willis one - came out at around the same time, and was orders of magnitude worse.

Wascally Weasel

« Reply #41 on: 15 April, 2015, 02:24:27 pm »

Good call.  The main blooper is war-dialling with an acoustic coupler modem (which as any fule know can't take the phone on/off hook), but I'll forgive that as, quite reasonably, the acoustic coupler served to illustrate what a modem was to an audience who wouldn't have been familiar with the concept.

It seemed to have been written by someone with some knowledge of the subject (as it was by that date).  I think there was more detail that was edited out, as there are references to the Phone Phreakers and other things in the (quite good) novelised version – he refers to Jim Sting, the guy he goes to for advice as ‘Cap’n Crunch’ for e.g.

In the book version he was playing Missile Command in the arcade at the start instead of Galaga which was a more apposite choice of game I thought – was probably considered dated at the time.

I think I could probably give the Flicksynch game of Wargames from ‘Ready Player One’ a damn good go!

Wascally Weasel

« Reply #42 on: 15 April, 2015, 02:31:00 pm »

I got told off for shouting at the part where the asteroid flies in at about 10mph…well it seems that slow as people have the time to get to the hills to try and avoid it.

Deep Impact.

That was the credible one (I'll forgive it the high hobbit content, on the basis that the spaceship used an Orion drive and they had Morgan Freeman as president).  Armageddon - the Bruce Willis one - came out at around the same time, and was orders of magnitude worse.

Deep Impact or Armageddon?  HAL or WOPR? Those are the sort of questions I should have asked at cycle speed dating!

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #43 on: 15 April, 2015, 02:35:16 pm »
Deep Impact or Armageddon?  HAL or WOPR? Those are the sort of questions I should have asked at cycle speed dating!

I vaguely recall a "Cats or dogs?  12 or 24 hour clock?" conversation soon after I met barakta.  "Star Trek or Babylon 5?" wasn't even a question.

« Reply #44 on: 15 April, 2015, 03:16:34 pm »

I vaguely recall a "Cats or dogs?  12 or 24 hour clock?" conversation soon after I met barakta.  "Star Trek or Babylon 5?" wasn't even a question.
Probably cats. They are smart enough to use mole-hill holes as toilets.

24, of course.

Never watched babylon 5, sorry.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #45 on: 15 April, 2015, 08:06:09 pm »

Just when this thread was starting to bore me s**tless ...

:D
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #46 on: 17 April, 2015, 09:07:28 am »

For future reference.  All alien craft have now moved on to a USB 2.0 interface in order to slow down any attempt to install a virus while the hacker tries to figure out which way round the damn plug goes.

They tried RJ45 but got sick of the little release tab snagging on all the other cables like an annoying bastard grappling-hook (and didn't want to pay extra for the little rubber anti-snag jackets).

Edit. Surely any redesign of the Grappling-Hook should look not unlike an RJ45 plug.
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #47 on: 17 April, 2015, 09:35:04 am »
It's a good job they didn't have USB in "Star Wars" coz R2-D2 would still have been trying to plug himself into Luke's fighter when Darth Vader rocked up and blew them all utterly to DETH and what a good idea that would have been.

(Flees the Wrath of the forum's Spod Hordes)

« Reply #48 on: 17 April, 2015, 10:10:03 am »
Just imagine if the ports had been designed by Apple. Every 6 months a totally new incompatible port would be created. R2D2 would have been converted to an umbrella stand.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Wascally Weasel

« Reply #49 on: 17 April, 2015, 10:17:33 am »
It's a good job they didn't have USB in "Star Wars" coz R2-D2 would still have been trying to plug himself into Luke's fighter when Darth Vader rocked up and blew them all utterly to DETH and what a good idea that would have been.

(Flees the Wrath of the forum's Spod Hordes)

It's a big tough galaxy out there and sometimes the Emperor has to be brutal firm.  I think the bit in ROTJ where the rebel scum sided with a bunch of aboriginal fucking teddy bears marked the beginning of my personal journey to the Dark Side.