Author Topic: Oiks shouting stuff at cyclists  (Read 368367 times)

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
Re: Oiks shouting stuff at cyclists
« Reply #1150 on: 08 March, 2017, 08:36:35 am »
Which professional team? Knowing which one would be good for their PR.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Guy

• Retired
« Reply #1151 on: 08 March, 2017, 08:44:59 am »
Aren't couriers professional cyclists? They get paid to ride bikes.
"The Opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject"  Marcus Aurelius

« Reply #1152 on: 08 March, 2017, 08:46:09 am »
Sadly no team strip.
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #1153 on: 08 March, 2017, 08:47:21 am »
Aren't couriers professional cyclists? They get paid to ride bikes.
Fair point. He might have said 'racer' and not 'rider'. He certainly didn't look like a bike courier.
Rust never sleeps

Guy

• Retired
« Reply #1154 on: 08 March, 2017, 09:11:56 am »
Courier on a day off?

If a dustman I know can refer to himself as a "Domestic Hygiene Engineer" :sick: then a courier might well regard himself as a professional cyclist
"The Opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject"  Marcus Aurelius

caerau

• SR x 3 - PBP fail but 1090 km - hey - not too bad
« Reply #1155 on: 08 March, 2017, 10:07:16 am »
He's still a twat.  A professional attitude is to not 'order' people who you don't know anything about, about.
Glad you told him to fuck off.  :thumbsup:
It's a reverse Elvis thing.

« Reply #1156 on: 08 March, 2017, 10:14:52 am »
Re. Richmond Park, outside of rush hour (which is a hell all of its own) I reckon I get more close passes from other cyclists than from drivers - it's getting to the point that I'm thinking about avoiding the park at weekends. The experience is rapidly approaching the point Box Hill reached 3 or 4 years ago.
Eddington Number = 132

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #1157 on: 09 March, 2017, 09:39:37 am »
Sadly no team strip.

Then he isn't a pro.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

bikey-mikey

• AUK 6372
  • Yes, I am completely mad ! a.k.a. 333
« Reply #1158 on: 10 March, 2017, 12:42:15 am »
Why must the whole team take off their clothes?? Or have I missed something?
I’ve decided I’m not old. I’m 25 .....plus shipping and handling.

Cycling heatmap
https://www.strava.com/athletes/4628735/heatmaps/6ed5ab12#10/51.12782/-3.16388

« Reply #1159 on: 10 March, 2017, 09:18:17 am »
Sadly no team strip.

Then he isn't a pro.

Drops women cyclists wear their entire outfit when going around Kent/Richmond Park. I spotted 3 in the wild so pros will wear their outfit.

« Reply #1160 on: 10 March, 2017, 09:26:00 am »
Given the issues about air quality and the noticeable difference in the evening, I've taken to riding as much as I can away from traffic, and using paths etc.

On the Channelsea Path lsat night (which is very often completely empty) I was coming up behind a mother and two kids so gave a ding on my bell.

As I was going past one (the 7 year old?) shouted at me "You should only ring the bell if you want to get off"

;D ;D

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
« Reply #1161 on: 17 March, 2017, 09:15:22 am »
Me, yesterday, when passed with about 1" clearance by a racing snake in Richmond Park.

"Closer please!"

"What"

"Can you get closer next time ?"

"Mumble mumble"

"You were too close."

"Where's your helmet ?"

"OH FUCK OFF."

I chased him down (I was out for a slow pootle) and took issue with him on this. His response ?

"I'm a professional bike rider. I know what I'm doing."

Twat.

Well done Hatters. Good on you Sir. "Where's your helmet?" What a knob. It's up to an individual what they wear, and I say to people who, when they ask me "I hope you wear a helmet", what a sorry state we're in that we, as cyclists, feel the weight of social guilt and must 'protect ourselves' because "Cycling's dangerous", when it's car drivers who have made the roads more dangerous, and if cyclists received more protection from the law, the perception of cycling = dangerous, would diminish. Professional bike rider – well bloody act like one. He could have just said: "I apologise, I'm sorry."
Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex

rower40

• Not my boat. Now sold.
« Reply #1162 on: 21 March, 2017, 09:09:27 pm »
"Sign says 'Cyclists Dismount'" was mumbled at me yesterday morning.
I didn't stop to discuss the legality of the sign, partly because it was raining, but mostly because the mumbler was clutching his open can of Scrumpy Jack.  At 0745 on a Monday.
Be Naughty; save Santa a trip

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1163 on: 21 March, 2017, 11:19:27 pm »
I heard an unseen person (presumably in a car nearby - I couldn't see because, again, it was raining) shout "cycle lane" this afternoon.  Presumably directed at me, as I stopped in primary position behind the car in front of me at red traffic lights.  There was indeed a cycle lane, feeding an ASL, which I might have bothered with if there had been more than one car in front of me.

I suppose it means someone's paying attention to road markings.  Hopefully they'll move onto double white lines and box junctions next...

handcyclist

• watch for my signal
« Reply #1164 on: 22 March, 2017, 09:27:46 am »
''nwaar alr gutter ite"

At least that's what I thought at first.

It took about 10 seconds for my audio enhancement fu to work out it might have ended in the words 'rear light'.
Which, it turned out, was indeed dark. Dumbass dynolight design that needs a battery  ::-).

So not a git at all really ........
Doubt is is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd.

« Reply #1165 on: 24 March, 2017, 09:10:52 am »
"Oy! You bugger onna bike!"

But I don't think he heard me, so I turned around and chased Andrij to make sure he heard  ;D

« Reply #1166 on: 27 March, 2017, 11:25:56 am »
On Cowley road on Sunday not long after leaving the cafe stop at Peleton Cafe - 2 riders riding side by side through the 20 zone.
"Learn to ride a bike FFFF"
Shouted by an angry man driving a Corsa (out of the passenger window across his child passenger).  ::-)
Who then stopped at the queue of traffic near Divinity road while I cruised past in the cycle lane so I could turn off. I contented myself with laughing at him - I don't know whether my riding companion did likewise.

It's such a stupid request. Clearly we have both mastered the art of riding bicycles. At least an instruction to learn the highway code would make sense (even if it would provide an answer he doesn't like).

« Reply #1167 on: 02 April, 2017, 07:48:16 pm »
Yesterday, descending a fast hill down into Garelochead village at about 40mph I enter the 30 zone but keep the speed on as I know that I’ll soon be ascending a steep little hill that will take all my speed off.

Right behind me all the way down is a 4x4, once the road is clear ahead, and while we are both already speeding in the 30 zone he overtakes me.

2 minutes later in the Spar shop driver of said 4x4 points out that I was speeding coming into the village.  ::-) 

« Reply #1168 on: 03 April, 2017, 08:36:57 am »
Cycling thro' Haslingden in Rossendale the other week. I pull up at a set of lights and a youth (early teens) across the road tells me that I have 'no knob' Not sure how he has deduced this but I asked him if he had been peeping and then I laughed. He then gave me the usual abuse and I commented as I set off there was a lot of inbreeding in the area. Cue more abuse but he entertained me on a Sunday am

bikey-mikey

• AUK 6372
  • Yes, I am completely mad ! a.k.a. 333
« Reply #1169 on: 03 April, 2017, 11:59:38 pm »
Yesterday, descending a fast hill down into Garelochead village at about 40mph I enter the 30 zone but keep the speed on as I know that I’ll soon be ascending a steep little hill that will take all my speed off.

Right behind me all the way down is a 4x4, once the road is clear ahead, and while we are both already speeding in the 30 zone he overtakes me.

2 minutes later in the Spar shop driver of said 4x4 points out that I was speeding coming into the village.  ::-)

Simple answer is to tell him the speed limit only applies to motorised vehicles..... which is of course true...

This knowledge came from the Queens Council (Senior barrister) who handled my legal case... and was backed up by the junior barrister he had in tow (who only had ten years experience)
I’ve decided I’m not old. I’m 25 .....plus shipping and handling.

Cycling heatmap
https://www.strava.com/athletes/4628735/heatmaps/6ed5ab12#10/51.12782/-3.16388

ianrauk

• Tattooed Beat Messiah
« Reply #1170 on: 19 April, 2017, 10:17:26 pm »
I've been enjoying reading this thread and it reminds me of a classic I heard a few years back.
I was tacking up Bromley Hill behind a racing snake roadie. We got to the junction at the top of the hill when a small hatch full of Yoof pulled up beside us. Passenger shouted to the roadie "Oi, are you gay?" to which the roadie, quick as a flash replied with "Not when I'm fcuking your mum".
Did I laugh? You betchya.

Phil W

« Reply #1171 on: 19 April, 2017, 10:24:03 pm »
Easter Arrow last Friday. Kid shouts "Does that have a motor?"  (my recumbent)

« Reply #1172 on: 20 April, 2017, 10:36:03 am »
"Are you French?"

Somewhere, on another cycling forum, someone is posting that a fat bird on a bike muttered this at him as he hugged the right hand side of the cycle path when they passed going in opposite directions.

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #1173 on: 20 April, 2017, 11:24:22 am »
"Are you French?"

Somewhere, on another cycling forum, someone is posting that a fat bird on a bike muttered this at him as he hugged the right hand side of the cycle path when they passed going in opposite directions.

Another cycling forum?  Nah, that one closed a while ago.

« Reply #1174 on: 20 April, 2017, 12:53:17 pm »
Crawling up a hill within earshot of a playground:- "Keep going granddad"

Tapatalk puts this signature here, not me!
Too many angry people - breathe & relax.