Author Topic: Oiks shouting stuff at cyclists  (Read 368342 times)

Re: Oiks shouting stuff at cyclists
« Reply #1300 on: 21 August, 2018, 10:38:40 pm »
Happens all the time when you ride a recumbent.  Seems to have parallels to oik behaviour towards people with certain disabilities, body shapes, etc. with the key difference that I can always get off my bike.

Yes I've had couple of those too, I'm a bloke in his mid forties with rather less hair than i once had so i guess its bike their interested in rather than me.

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #1301 on: 22 August, 2018, 06:06:50 am »
I am regularly filmed by drivers but this is the hazard of being in a Velomobile.

They are of course holding their phone up to the passenger window when driving... which is stupidly dangerous. But that doesn’t matter, they have to film the weird bike.
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

bludger

• Randonneur and bargain hunter
« Reply #1302 on: 31 August, 2018, 01:30:35 pm »
I got one of those dockless bikes back from the O2 last night because I didn't want to ride the bus, I actually got loud cheers when I went past my fellow death grips fans and rang the bell.
YACF touring/audax bargain basement:
https://bit.ly/2Xg8pRD

Ban cars.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1303 on: 10 September, 2018, 10:07:05 pm »
"ARE YOU A FUCKING BIKE?  ARE YOU FUCKING CYCLING?  GET OUT OF THE FUCKING ROAD!"  - unseen person somewhere behind me (probably in one of several likely-looking vans) while I was in a queue of traffic on approach to a roundabout.

I was aleady in a bad mood after having to cut my ride short due to a nasty visitation, and this really didn't help.

« Reply #1304 on: 11 September, 2018, 10:10:37 pm »
"ARE YOU A FUCKING BIKE?  ARE YOU FUCKING CYCLING?  GET OUT OF THE FUCKING ROAD!"  - unseen person somewhere behind me (probably in one of several likely-looking vans) while I was in a queue of traffic on approach to a roundabout.

I was aleady in a bad mood after having to cut my ride short due to a nasty visitation, and this really didn't help.

I guess you were on the bent for that one.  I know we don't get that sort of bile too often but it puts me off riding the bent sometimes even though I still get far more positive comments about riding recumbent as a rule.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1305 on: 12 September, 2018, 03:26:53 pm »
WVM: "...slap you on the arse!"

There's no way that sentence starts well.

« Reply #1306 on: 12 September, 2018, 03:28:42 pm »
Last night 'Raaape'.
Teenage boys are odd.
I also got meoawed at and some indeterminate words/sounds.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1307 on: 26 September, 2018, 07:11:04 pm »
Woman waiting outside primary school at SUV o'clock: "You're a legend!"

(I assume she's been listening to DTEK HPVS's tall tales...)

Taxi driver: "Can I borrow your bike?"

(No.)

Guy

• Retired
« Reply #1308 on: 28 September, 2018, 08:08:43 am »
"NICE BIKE" from kids on MTBSOs as I whizzed past on my Brompton in the underpass yesterday afternoon.
"The Opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject"  Marcus Aurelius

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1309 on: 01 October, 2018, 03:32:34 pm »
Not shouting, but for want of a better thread:

Oik: "Is that nitro?"
Me: "Hmm?"
Oik: "That bottle, is it nitro?"
Me: "Oh!"  *wondering if he's too young to get a Remembrance of the Daleks reference*  "No, it's fuel for my camping stove."
Oik: "...To make it go faster?"
Me: "To make it make tea!"
Oik: "Oh, okay."

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #1310 on: 01 October, 2018, 03:48:50 pm »
Woman waiting outside primary school at SUV o'clock: "You're a legend!"
"SUV o'clock" good phrase. Except of course without the context it could refer to just about any time of day of day or night!

Not shouting, but for want of a better thread:

Oik: "Is that nitro?"
Me: "Hmm?"
Oik: "That bottle, is it nitro?"
Me: "Oh!"  *wondering if he's too young to get a Remembrance of the Daleks reference*  "No, it's fuel for my camping stove."
Oik: "...To make it go faster?"
Me: "To make it make tea!"
Oik: "Oh, okay."
Classic! But... you don't drink tea...

I had "You go, boy!" from one of two blokes walking along the road in Filton just north of the former mighty aerospace complex about 11p.m. I only saw them out of the corner of my eye, as I was looking at the Megabus overtaking me, but I assume it was sarcasm and they weren't actually bowled over by my 15mph.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1311 on: 13 October, 2018, 09:21:00 pm »
WVM patiently giving way to me as I took a somewhat Brownian path around a roundabout:  "[inaudible] A FOOKIN' HI-VIS!"

Yes, visibility was clearly the issue here, what with it being bright daylight with >35mph[1] gusts(!)

[1] According to my Walz moisture-wicking airspeed indicator.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1312 on: 06 November, 2018, 05:02:30 pm »
Teletubby voice from somewhere on a crowded pavement:  "Eh-oh!"

Woman at bus stop: "It's too dangerous!"

ian

« Reply #1313 on: 06 November, 2018, 07:29:12 pm »
somethingsomethingCUNTsomething flung gaily out of a driver's side window because I had the temerity to make him slow down for something in the region of two entire seconds while I indicated and turned right.

There really is no other activity I undertake where random people hurl abuse at me.

yorkie

• On top of the Galibier
« Reply #1314 on: 06 November, 2018, 11:02:06 pm »
Riding home from work at half past 9 this evening, with my usual multitude of lights pointing in various directions, a passing drunk sang:

"Oh Christmas Tree, Oh Christmas Tree..."

I would have pointed out that it was the wrong season, had I not been laughing so much!
Born to ride my bike, forced to work! ;)

British Cycling Regional A Track Commissaire
British Cycling Regional A Circuit Commissaire
Cycling Attendant, York Sport Village Cycle Circuit and Velodrome

handcyclist

• watch for my signal
« Reply #1315 on: 07 November, 2018, 12:27:08 am »
I love your posts Kim. This made me smile.
With a blurry bit in the middle (eg. handcycling to the shops).
The reaction I get when I 'miraculously' get off the handbike to walk into the shop (albeit with a bit of a limp and a groan) is usually confuddlingly priceless.

[1] He was holding it in portrait aspect ratio too.  Some people have no class.

;D
Doubt is is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1316 on: 15 November, 2018, 05:06:07 pm »
"Nice bike." said the builder, as he opened the side door of the overtaking van like Murdoch from the A-Team and took some drive-by photographs with his smartphone.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #1317 on: 15 November, 2018, 06:27:18 pm »
More photos?  You must be getting really famous.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #1318 on: 16 November, 2018, 04:10:23 pm »
I got something abusive this morning that involved a lot of finger wagging, more than likely something to do with the nearby cycle path, I suppose it offsets the marriage proposal I got a few weeks ago whilst riding home with a large bouquet of flowers sticking out the pannier.

« Reply #1319 on: 21 November, 2018, 01:12:24 pm »
One of a number of youf waiting at a bus stop as I pootled slowly by on my way to work went "neeeeeeeeoooooooowwwwwww!"
I laughed.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #1320 on: 22 November, 2018, 10:43:10 am »

Group of Dutch Yoofs cycling at night, covering most of a whole cycle lane, I'm going a little quicker, and want to over take. I come up behind and say "cycle straight" they kinda make enough space for me to get through. Then one of them starts trying to match my pace.

"Oh you want a race do you?"
"*inarticulate Dutch mumbling*"

I fell down onto the aerobars, upped the cadence, and zoomed off, leaving them behind. After I had a few hundred meters between them and I, I eased up, another 100m or so later, and one oik catches me up and goes passed saying something in Dutch I didn't catch...

It brightened up a late evenings ride home from the space.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

JennyB

• Old enough to know better
« Reply #1321 on: 22 November, 2018, 12:53:05 pm »

Group of Dutch Yoofs cycling at night, covering most of a whole cycle lane, I'm going a little quicker, and want to over take. I come up behind and say "cycle straight" they kinda make enough space for me to get through. Then one of them starts trying to match my pace.

"Oh you want a race do you?"
"*inarticulate Dutch mumbling*"

I fell down onto the aerobars, upped the cadence, and zoomed off, leaving them behind. After I had a few hundred meters between them and I, I eased up, another 100m or so later, and one oik catches me up and goes passed saying something in Dutch I didn't catch...

It brightened up a late evenings ride home from the space.

J

I had something like that in Wales once, long ago when I was young and fit, only the lad came past hanging onto the back of a motorbike.
Jennifer - Walker of hills

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1322 on: 22 November, 2018, 01:15:11 pm »
A yoof onna BMX challenged me to a race while I was on the ICE trike once.  They quickly disqualified me for changing gear, thobut.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #1323 on: 07 December, 2018, 09:59:41 am »
I was challenged to a race at about 5a.m. one Saturday morning* by a bloke on a Yo bike (dockless hire thing). "Are you going Filton? Do you want a race? I'll give you a race? I'm the champion of this!" I was on my way to a hilly 200km audax so I was content to let him zoom off.

*For me. It was clearly Friday night for him.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #1324 on: 07 December, 2018, 10:02:12 am »
Yesterday, there was a huge (thankfully very visible) pool of oil or petrol just in front of and over the give way line, so I braked cautiously to a stop. This gave an opportunity for the old bloke on the corner with tell-tale black bag (clue: it was open at the top and he didn't have a dog) to say "It's green!" I looked at him quizzically. "It's clear! There's nothing coming, you can go! Well, there is now!"