Author Topic: What was the last film you watched?  (Read 940255 times)

Otto

Re: What was the last film you watched?
« Reply #75 on: 01 September, 2008, 12:38:57 pm »
Cloverfield ob SKy Box office...thought it was pants ..the monster looked lie the BFG

LEE

« Reply #76 on: 01 September, 2008, 01:28:51 pm »
DARK KNIGHT (Batman)

A great 90 minute film, just a pity it runs for about 6 hours.

Flying_Monkey

« Reply #77 on: 01 September, 2008, 06:13:28 pm »
There Will Be Blood - I was very tired and dropped off halfway through it, then woke up again several hours later and it was still going. Kind of enjoyed it but I'll have to watch it again when I'm less tired. Daniel Day Lewis is... astonishing.

Try watching it again, I watched it a while ago, thought I wouldn't enjoy it during the first 30 minutes or so then I really got into it, and DDL's descent is so well done it's unreal.

Oh and seeing a certain person get his comeuppance makes the film worthwhile....

Totally agree - it is a great film with several outstanding performances. The soundtrack is also quite startlingly good (Jonny Greenwood from Radiohead in his first major motion picture soundtrack - certainly won't be his last on that showing).

Zoidburg

« Reply #78 on: 02 September, 2008, 05:58:27 pm »
The Fountain

A film which would melt the logic circuits of a lesser droid

« Reply #79 on: 04 February, 2010, 10:25:16 pm »
Reviving this old thread.. we just watched "Into the Wild" and have to say it's a really good film. 

mr endon

« Reply #80 on: 04 February, 2010, 10:35:12 pm »
Fishtank. Brilliant.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #81 on: 05 February, 2010, 12:04:52 am »
Gran Torino is a brilliant film about a vigilante with a difference.

It's a great story about human realtionships and culture clash with a great moral twist at the end.

Cried buckets. Brilliant.
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

Wascally Weasel

• Slayer of Dragons and killer of threads.
« Reply #82 on: 05 February, 2010, 09:18:40 am »
Soylent Green.

"Mmmmmm...Soylent Green"

/Homer

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #83 on: 05 February, 2010, 09:27:38 am »
Probably a bit mainstream for the buffs on this list but Lady M and I went to see the new George Clooney film, Up In The Air the other night and thoroughly enjoyed it.  Worth it just to hear the female lead, whose name I forget, say to GC:  Think of me as you, but with a vagina.

Also has an unexpected ending that doesn't wrap up all the loose ends neatly, which appeals to the dour sod in me.
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

JT

• Howay the lads!
    • CTC Peterborough
« Reply #84 on: 05 February, 2010, 10:13:12 am »
Inglorious Basterds at the weekend.

Loved it. I like Tarantino anyway and there's always something to like in his films even if it's just the soundtrack. Mrs JT, on the other hand, is not a fan - particularly after not finding out what was in the briefcase in Pulp Fiction - but she liked Basterds too.

Christoph Walz must get an Oscar for his role as the Jew Hunter.

a great mind thinks alike

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #85 on: 05 February, 2010, 10:46:51 am »
Nordwand - German-language account of the attempt on the North Wall of the Eiger by Andreas Hinterstoisser and Toni Kurz in 1936.  Deeply harrowing stuff even if you already know the outcome.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #86 on: 05 February, 2010, 12:41:56 pm »
Last one I watched at the cinema was Avatar in 3D... and it wasn't as bad as I was led to believe.

Last one I watched on telly was 'Deuce Bigelow: Male Gigolo' last night...  :-[*

*It had been a very difficult day at work, with the end of the David Gray inquest...
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

Tourist Tony

• Supermassive mobile flesh-toned black hole
« Reply #87 on: 05 February, 2010, 02:57:51 pm »
Nordwand - German-language account of the attempt on the North Wall of the Eiger by Andreas Hinterstoisser and Toni Kurz in 1936.  Deeply harrowing stuff even if you already know the outcome.
I do know what happened to Kurtz, so as a climber can't watch that film

thelazycyclist

• where's crusty?
    • thelazycyclist
« Reply #88 on: 05 February, 2010, 02:58:38 pm »
I took Lindagordinho to see 'It's Complicated' for her birthday last week.  I'm not a big fan of romantic comedies but I really enjoyed it.  We even laughed out loud a few times.  It was nice to see 2 middle-aged actors in various states of undress rather than a bunch of toned and tanned young people.  Seeing young people at it just makes me feel old and fat.  Meryl Streep / Alec Baldwin / Steve Martin all good.  Not as sickly sweet as some American films.
The friendly landlord helped us put our bikes into his very big shed.  Very carefully we did not fall into the acid bath which was there.

Flying_Monkey

« Reply #89 on: 05 February, 2010, 05:47:44 pm »
I just watched 1984 (the version with John Hurt) with my class... nothing like 2 hours of unremitting bleakness on a Friday morning at 8.30!

« Reply #90 on: 07 February, 2010, 11:41:35 am »
Trading Places - hardly anything happens. My  fond memories must have a lot to do with Jamie Lee Curtis's mammories

« Reply #91 on: 07 February, 2010, 11:46:40 am »
watched Moon last night.  very good, really enjoyed it

« Reply #92 on: 07 February, 2010, 11:47:05 am »

You know what the storyline is going to be after ten minutes of the film, but that's ok..the other two and a half hours are like an acid trip in a primeval forest  :thumbsup:

« Reply #93 on: 07 February, 2010, 11:54:14 am »
Personally I don't count films watched on television. Not that I have a television. All attempts to lure me to the cinema since we saw Slumdog have failed. Also the Ealing Odeon is a shadow of its former self.

Deborah

« Reply #94 on: 07 February, 2010, 12:01:31 pm »
The Importance od Being Earnest. Vg

« Reply #95 on: 07 February, 2010, 12:43:56 pm »
Avatar at the cinema last week and Ronin on DVD (£2.99 at TkMax - bargain) on Friday night.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

ian

« Reply #96 on: 07 February, 2010, 12:56:47 pm »
I seem to see most movies at 30,000 feet (thankfully I'm a metric baby, so all I know about this is that you can't use a ladder to climb back down, and it's inadvisable to open the windows). It does mean I am occasionally forced to watch movies that perhaps I wouldn't choose, which perhaps in no bad thing, since there are only so many movies where shit just gets blown up.

I did enjoy (500) Days of Summer, which I confess I only selected because of the promise of happy little (and potentially adult-rated) thoughts of Zooey Deschanel, which - in my estimation - isn't a bad way to wind through two hours of midair confinement.

It was also blessed with a fine soundtrack, which included the rather lovely 'Us' which I had forgotten to listen to for long time now.

My brain also managed to inadvertently mashup Adventureland and Zombieland into something rather odd that took some subsequent mental disentangling. That said, there's maybe a screenplay deserving of a Hollywood treatment. Boy loves zombie girl, zombie girl doesn't love boy, zombie girl does love boy, zombie girl eats boy's brains, zombie girl gets messily decapitated.

« Reply #97 on: 07 February, 2010, 04:11:13 pm »
The Island

Didn't expect much. Surprisingly good in a mindless sort of action sci fi way.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #98 on: 07 February, 2010, 04:47:09 pm »
One of the joys of having a new girlfriend is that I've been to the flicks twice in two weeks.

Haven't seen a thing though ;)

Sadly not true, but I did see The Road last weekend and The Book of Eli last night.
Two rather different views of post-apocalpse and both pretty good.  I'm not sure if I was being sold religion in Book of Eli or not, but it had a couple of good twists, and some blood and guts. 

« Reply #99 on: 07 February, 2010, 05:10:18 pm »

Hopefully it will be Marathon Man which is tonight, if I can keep awake.
Quote from: Marbeaux
Have given this a great deal of thought and decided not to contribute to any further Threads for the time being.
POTD. (decade) :thumbsup: