Author Topic: The TT Thread  (Read 408780 times)

Re: The TT Thread
« Reply #350 on: 21 March, 2009, 06:38:01 pm »
First one of the season for me tomorrow, a local 25 on the A413 (HCC113). Not really underway with the training yet, a couple of weeks done. Maybe cyclocross over the winter will have helped some.

« Reply #351 on: 22 March, 2009, 11:57:18 am »
Ugh! It was windy. Terrible headwind out, cold too, and there were temporary traffic lights on the course (I was stopped both out and back).

1:07:58, a PW.

Still, good to get started again.

Saw Charlotte and Liz before the start, no idea how they got on as I rode home as soon as my time was in.

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #352 on: 22 March, 2009, 05:09:38 pm »
Liz did 1:27:26, which was absolutely amazing.  She was well happy and is actually talking about the next one already.

I did 1:14:58 - two seconds under evens!  I was well chuffed with that.   Especially after this happened with about three miles to go:

I'd only fettled the bike the night before and clearly hadn't mongo'd up the seat bolt tight enough.  The road surface was shite and at 40kph hitting a pothole's not going to be good at the best of times.  It was one of those, "do I stop and try to fix it?" moments.  I'm glad I didn't, though.  I just rode the last couple of miles on the drops and pushing hard because there was no way I was going back down on the tribars after that.

We both had a great morning's racing - many thanks to the Hillingdon Triathletes for such a smooth event.  See you at the evening 10s...

Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #353 on: 22 March, 2009, 05:34:34 pm »
Nicely done!
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

fruitcake

• some kind of fruitcake
« Reply #354 on: 22 March, 2009, 05:43:39 pm »
Feeling a couple of bumps at the end of the ride, C's saddle became all excited. Knowing she was nearly there, C ignored the painful protrusion and managed to finish in good time.

« Reply #355 on: 22 March, 2009, 06:25:07 pm »
1:14:58- perfect! was that with or without waiting at the lights?

The results have been posted already

[url=http://www.middlesexrc.fsnet.co.uk/wlc/tt_2009/03_22.htm]WLC 10 22-03-2009[/url]

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #356 on: 22 March, 2009, 06:28:15 pm »

Without...   :demon:

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #357 on: 22 March, 2009, 06:42:48 pm »

Without...   :demon:

I did my first 10 at a WLC event.. Great report. Is that really the fastest lady's name? You are less than a couple of mins behind.

..d
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

Julian

• samoture
« Reply #358 on: 22 March, 2009, 08:15:33 pm »
Liz did 1:27:26, which was absolutely amazing.  She was well happy and is actually talking about the next one already.

I was hoping for 1:40 and said I'd be extremely happy if I managed 1:30, so I'm very chuffed.  Especially since I wasn't the very slowest.  I was the second slowest.

"Enjoyed" would be the wrong word, but I enjoyed having done it.  And 1:27 manages to be respectable for a first go but with "room for improvement" as they say.  :)

It's very peculiar doing a cycle 'event,' finishing feeling as knackered as if I'd done a 200k, and then having the rest of the day free!

« Reply #359 on: 22 March, 2009, 08:22:27 pm »
That's time-trialling. I was back in bed with a book and a cup of tea by 10:15.

« Reply #360 on: 22 March, 2009, 08:26:17 pm »
The new bike (hopefully will have it in about 4 weeks) is for TT-ing (amongst other things).

Can't wait...
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

Really Ancien

« Reply #361 on: 22 March, 2009, 08:31:43 pm »
I see John Warnock is off to a good start, is he doing LEL ?

Damon.

David Martin

« Reply #362 on: 23 March, 2009, 11:09:50 am »
That's time-trialling. I was back in bed with a book and a cup of tea by 10:15.

For my first 10 I rode out to the course from Harrow (it was the Princes Risborough course) then on to Oxford for lunch..

And got the train home  :thumbsup:

Nearly twenty years later I am still TTing on the same bike (different bars, forks, wheels, seat post, groupset, pedals, stem, paint job...)

..d

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #363 on: 23 March, 2009, 12:44:39 pm »
I see John Warnock is off to a good start, is he doing LEL ?

Damon.

Actually, I don't know.  I shall ask him when I next see him steaming past me  :)

« Reply #364 on: 23 March, 2009, 12:51:36 pm »
Liz did 1:27:26

I did 1:14:58

fantastic results! - Congratulations both  :thumbsup:

« Reply #365 on: 23 March, 2009, 05:21:15 pm »
Well done girls!

I'm looking to some 25s this year as well. On fixed the gear choice is all so important as I discovered last year, finishing 5 to 6 minutes behind my team mates...

In the meantime since we are now allowed to gear up, I'll stick a 81'', and possibly an 86'' later, for the next 10!

PS My bike is 16 years old this year... but I still enjoy racing it, although the headtube ought to be shorter to TT properly on it.

Frenchie - Train à Grande Vitesse

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #366 on: 23 March, 2009, 10:55:21 pm »
I did a 3-up 10 yesterday. We were an utter shambles  :(

I rode with a guy I rode a great 2-up 25 with a month ago, and another vet, who's usually a decent rider - I've seen him stay in a fast group on a long ride as I go out the back, many a time. If there's one thing he can do, is hold a wheel. I was keeping an eye on both on last Wednesday's club ride, and it was me who was struggling to stay with them. We dropped him in the first mile on Sunday, and I didn't feel like we were going hard. We quickly regrouped and he did a couple of short pulls while we did more work, and got to the turn together. 200 metres later he'd gone again. We sat up for a while, looking back, but he wasn't closing the gap, so we carried on half-heartedly, torn between waiting for our teammate and doing a respectable time. Then my remaining teammate's tribars came off in his hand... We sat up again while he stuffed the loose parts down the front of his skinsuit.

We eventually got back in a semi-respectable time, if we'd stayed together and hadn't sat up and dithered, we would have easily gone under 25 minutes. Dropping a teammate was wrong though, no point in doing a contre la montre equipe if you can't ride together.

« Reply #367 on: 29 March, 2009, 09:53:52 pm »
My first open TT in approx 7 yrs.

Not displeased with the result.

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #368 on: 29 March, 2009, 10:12:42 pm »
Looking sleek there, Ian  :thumbsup:

« Reply #369 on: 29 March, 2009, 10:21:22 pm »

Why thank-you Miss B.

I'm still getting used to the new bike. The old carcass ain't so supple no more.

David Martin

« Reply #370 on: 30 March, 2009, 08:43:25 am »

Why thank-you Miss B.

I'm still getting used to the new bike. The old carcass ain't so supple no more.

You've got a nice position on the bike.. 9 days till our season opener 5 mile.

..d

« Reply #371 on: 30 March, 2009, 09:08:58 am »
I did a 3-up 10 yesterday. We were an utter shambles  :(

I rode with a guy I rode a great 2-up 25 with a month ago, and another vet, who's usually a decent rider - I've seen him stay in a fast group on a long ride as I go out the back, many a time. If there's one thing he can do, is hold a wheel. I was keeping an eye on both on last Wednesday's club ride, and it was me who was struggling to stay with them. We dropped him in the first mile on Sunday, and I didn't feel like we were going hard. We quickly regrouped and he did a couple of short pulls while we did more work, and got to the turn together. 200 metres later he'd gone again. We sat up for a while, looking back, but he wasn't closing the gap, so we carried on half-heartedly, torn between waiting for our teammate and doing a respectable time. Then my remaining teammate's tribars came off in his hand... We sat up again while he stuffed the loose parts down the front of his skinsuit.

We eventually got back in a semi-respectable time, if we'd stayed together and hadn't sat up and dithered, we would have easily gone under 25 minutes. Dropping a teammate was wrong though, no point in doing a contre la montre equipe if you can't ride together.

If it's a three-up the time will be on the third rider, unless you wait and nurse the rider your time will be even slower.

« Reply #372 on: 30 March, 2009, 11:16:06 am »
Did the Chelmer Hardriders 25 yesterday - a rolling course in North Essex. This was my first proper time trial really since joining Chelmer CC at the end of last year, and I had a new bike for the occasion. I got a lift to the start to save me cycling the 20 miles from Chelmsford, but roadworks at Wethersfield and a ridiculous diversion meant I only just made my start time, having just 5 minutes to warm up. The conditions on the day were pretty good - a light north westerly wind and dry roads. My time was 1 hour 13 minutes and 51 seconds - an average speed of 20.xxmph. I was pretty happy with this for a first attempt, and even won £10 for the best time in my group! The fastest time of the day was an incredible 59 minutes something.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #373 on: 02 April, 2009, 06:54:04 pm »
Total fail tonight.

Tried to phone the organiser at 9am to reserve a start slot (optional and not normally required) but he didn't answer.  Was in a meeting all day.  Drove out to the start to sign on and was 36th in line...entry closed at 35 riders  >:(
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #374 on: 02 April, 2009, 08:47:40 pm »
Here we go again... 1st TT of the year.

Date             Distance         Course type       Weather conditions            Bike ridden               Time
02/4/09          10 miles        Salt Ayre Track           12C 10mph wind          Russian Titanium      26'36s
07/8/08          10 miles        Salt Ayre Track           19C 4mph wind            Focus Cayo              26'47s
03/7/08          10 miles        Salt Ayre Track           14C 9mph wind            Focus Cayo              27'12s
28/5/08          17 miles        Circuit of Coniston  Wet / no wind / 12C          Focus Cayo             51'20s