Author Topic: The TT Thread  (Read 408731 times)

Re: The TT Thread
« Reply #500 on: 05 July, 2009, 08:17:09 pm »
Last Wednesday rode Severn RC UC186, 22 seconds slower than PB.
The hot temperature and the feeling of lack of air possibly accounted for slower time.

Have entered the Clubs Open 10 TT event next Saturday on the U7b !
As long as I can beat my Vets standard time (25:54) I will be happy  ;)

« Reply #501 on: 05 July, 2009, 10:50:35 pm »
Tonight I used a heavy steel roadbike ...
You don't say whther Tri-bars on both?

No tribars on the heavy roadbike. The TT bike has usual bullhorns and bar-extensions, bar-end shifters. Usual sort of thing.

alan

« Reply #502 on: 08 July, 2009, 07:12:28 pm »
Turned up for a replay of last week's attempt to be told I couldn't ride "because you are not a club member"
A discussion ensued as to why other clubs,ie last weeks organising club could do temp.membership for insurance purposes(a la Audax rides)  & tonight's officiating club could not,without a satisfactory explaination from the marshalls. ::-)

I was told I could ride if I joined the club & declined.
My lbs sponsors this lot & I have a need to go into the shop on Friday.I doubt that they will be seeing the colour of my money.
All things considered I feel increasingly  >:( at this exclusive attitude.Little wonder that some clubs are heard to express concern regarding diminishing membership.
Seems to be "my-way-or-no-way."

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #503 on: 08 July, 2009, 07:15:21 pm »
Seems a bit snobby.
Getting there...

toekneep

• Its got my name on it.
    • Blog
« Reply #504 on: 08 July, 2009, 08:33:01 pm »
Don't let them put you off, this could be the beginning of a whole new career. There is a big race on in France at the moment, I could see you over there in the yellow jersey in a couple of seasons. (That's you in the yellow jersey, not me. I'll be the one in the Devil's outfit by the side of the road.)

« Reply #505 on: 08 July, 2009, 10:18:34 pm »
Can't remember the exact rules, but for time trialling you are supposed to be a member of an affiliated club (or the HQ club). It's been relaxed recently to allow beginners to "come and try it", but the idea is that you do that once or twice and then join.

Of course, there are more and less friendly ways of explaining that. It's not the only sport though where you do need to register in a least some way.

Fixedwheelnut

• "If it ain't fixed it's broken"
    • My photos
« Reply #506 on: 08 July, 2009, 10:35:14 pm »
 You could get a club together and get it affiliated to the CTT, the fee is not that expensive so I hear.

Plenty of info here; http://cyclingtimetrials.janet0102.co.uk/Default.aspx

As mentioned above only a few events are run where non-club riders can take part due to insurance etc but could have been worded differently for you to be more sympathetic.

Is YACF affiliated?? as a club.
"Don't stop pedalling"

« Reply #507 on: 08 July, 2009, 10:41:13 pm »
We were only allowed to register one of our evening tens as 'come and try it'. It's next Wednesday. Other than that we have to insist on club membership otherwise insurance cover is invalid.

It was a horrible ride this evening, windy and heavy. No one got under 24. I managed 25.13.

« Reply #508 on: 08 July, 2009, 10:42:47 pm »
Or join a different club that you like better. You don't normally have to join the organising one.

Might be fun to have a YACF club - but I would always want to ride for my local one.

Martin

« Reply #509 on: 08 July, 2009, 10:51:15 pm »
Seems a bit snobby.

Not wishing to denigrate from the great amount of pleasure many people on here derive from it, IMO it is; I had 3 soul destroying years of TT before I discovered Audax and other ways of enjoying cycling. I always thought that it would be a bit like running where they welcome all abilities; not the case at all IMX. I've even had finish controllers tell me they were about to pack up as they assumed I had punctured and my own clubmates apologise on my behalf for being slow and entered a SPOCO only to be omitted from the finish list for being too slow for them to bother looking down the result sheets >:( I will now never ride another one out of principle.

With the increasing number of alternative rides to TT's and lack of new blood coming in it could die a slow death if it doesn't shape up.

« Reply #510 on: 08 July, 2009, 10:57:31 pm »

With the increasing number of alternative rides to TT's and lack of new blood coming in it could die a slow death if it doesn't shape up.

I'm riding a 25 on Sunday with 120 starters. so it's not that unpopular. But yes, there can be unwelcoming atitudes especially among older club(wo)men.

« Reply #511 on: 08 July, 2009, 11:04:28 pm »
Again, must depend on where you ride and with which club...

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #512 on: 08 July, 2009, 11:18:52 pm »
Turned up for a replay of last week's attempt to be told I couldn't ride "because you are not a club member"
A discussion ensued as to why other clubs,ie last weeks organising club could do temp.membership for insurance purposes(a la Audax rides)  & tonight's officiating club could not,without a satisfactory explaination from the marshalls. ::-)

I was told I could ride if I joined the club & declined.
My lbs sponsors this lot & I have a need to go into the shop on Friday.I doubt that they will be seeing the colour of my money.
All things considered I feel increasingly  >:( at this exclusive attitude.Little wonder that some clubs are heard to express concern regarding diminishing membership.
Seems to be "my-way-or-no-way."

Well, there are rules and regulations for the insurance etc. I'm not sure how CTT ones are run but we are under Scottish Cycling (BC/UCI) rules so have to do things like have BC silver membership (34 quid a year) or get temp membership at 10 quid per event. Club membership not required (but cheaper than BC membership in our case)

It does seem that there was someone who was a bit of an arse and didn't understand the alternatives.

BTW, how much are we talking about here? Is it worth joining the club to do the TTs or a personal membership of CTT if such a thing exists?
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #513 on: 08 July, 2009, 11:20:13 pm »
Again, must depend on where you ride and with which club...

Absolutely. Our local series is very friendy and welcoming.

..d
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

Fixedwheelnut

• "If it ain't fixed it's broken"
    • My photos
« Reply #514 on: 08 July, 2009, 11:41:52 pm »

BTW, how much are we talking about here? Is it worth joining the club to do the TTs or a personal membership of CTT if such a thing exists?

Just had a look around the CTT site and once logged in forms are available to download, the Affiliation renewal/application form has the fee down as £30
"Don't stop pedalling"

« Reply #515 on: 08 July, 2009, 11:58:15 pm »
Cheaper to join us. Since it doesn't matter which club you're in ;D

simonp

« Reply #516 on: 09 July, 2009, 01:08:48 am »
Cheaper to join us. Since it doesn't matter which club you're in ;D

it might if the event is full as they will probably give priority to members.

alan

« Reply #517 on: 09 July, 2009, 08:20:51 am »
very friendy and welcoming.

..d

Last night's experience reinforced my belief* that the most local club to me don't do "welcoming" & are strangers to the social concept of "friendly".

As I said,at least one other club are different .

* Some few years ago I attended the weekly club night.It rapidly became clear that this is a racer's club.Other types seem to be second class citizens.The guy who organises touring-type stuff within the club was,apparently, absent more often than not.

Martin

« Reply #518 on: 09 July, 2009, 08:30:37 am »
very friendy and welcoming.

..d

Last night's experience reinforced my belief* that the most local club to me don't do "welcoming" & are strangers to the social concept of "friendly".

As I said,at least one other club are different .

* Some few years ago I attended the weekly club night.It rapidly became clear that this is a racer's club.Other types seem to be second class citizens.The guy who organises touring-type stuff within the club was,apparently, absent more often than not.

you should try our club nights; it's just the renegade BEER drinkers, the serious racers are all off abstaining in preparation for the weekend TT  :P

But I think there is often a lack of Audax / touring type members in many clubs

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #519 on: 09 July, 2009, 09:19:55 am »
Join the Clarion! ;)
Getting there...

« Reply #520 on: 09 July, 2009, 09:27:35 am »
Consult the CTT's list of affiliated clubs if you want to compete. There's generally a choice of clubs in any locality - you don't have to join the nearest.

alan

« Reply #521 on: 09 July, 2009, 12:17:36 pm »
Consult the CTT's list of affiliated clubs if you want to compete. There's generally a choice of clubs in any locality - you don't have to join the nearest.
Thanks for that:very usefull.
I realise that membership of any affiliated club would suffice, but......

why can I not try 2 or 3 sessions before I commit to joining a club?...that's the crux of the issue.
Most other clubs of other sports/past-times allow it.

valkyrie

• Look at the state of your face!
    • West Lothian Clarion
« Reply #522 on: 09 July, 2009, 12:29:45 pm »
Thanks for that:very usefull.
I realise that membership of any affiliated club would suffice, but......

why can I not try 2 or 3 sessions before I commit to joining a club?...that's the crux of the issue.

How many free goes exactly do you think you should be entitled to? I imagine it takes a fair bit of effort and commitment by volunteers to put on these events. Clubs don't have much money and it seems fair to spend a small amount of money on membership to take part in club events.
World Class Excuses for Piss-Poor Performances

« Reply #523 on: 09 July, 2009, 12:41:19 pm »

We (Exeter Wheelers) were told we couldn't nominate all our club tens as 'come and try it', so we've got just one, on the 15th. CTT make the rules and provide the insurance. If we step outside the rules we lay ourselves open to sanctions.

alan

« Reply #524 on: 09 July, 2009, 12:49:39 pm »
The CTT have a short sighted policy then with regard to promoting expansion of the sport.This in turn does nothing to enhance the reputation of cycling clubs in general.