Author Topic: The TT Thread  (Read 418113 times)

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
Re: The TT Thread
« Reply #100 on: 11 June, 2008, 09:32:44 pm »
Midweek TT again tonight. I missed last weeks because of a slight stomach upset which would have seen me taking a natural break in the bushes half way round. Last week was a float night with several PB's. Tonights times were nearly a minute back from those.

It was raining when I left Dundee but it cleared as i crossed Fife. Sign on - get number 7 which is about where I like to be. The rain has stopped, the sun is desperately trying to break through and the steam rising indicates that the roads are drying.  It is the first race with the saddle etc in the new improved position so hopefully my position will improve.

Didn't feel too hot off the start, just kept it rolling on the fast downhill (I do 45-50kph, the fast boys are nearer 60. I'm still nervous on the tri bars.) 2 miles in and my legs do their normal protest. Didnt drop too much speed on the climb to the roundabout though I have to get fit enough to really keep the power on.  Nearly overcooked it into the left turn but picked it up and pressed on.

The last part is longer than you remember and has small humps in it making it a pig into the wind. Fight like crazy and cross the line.

I thought I had done a short 28. I can't count. Couldn't believe it when the timekeeper read out my time - 26.55, a new PB by over 1m20. Ecstatic is not the word. I was secretly hoping for a 27 and prepared to be disapointed so a 26 knocked me sideways...

Fastest on the night was 22 dead.

..d
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

« Reply #101 on: 11 June, 2008, 09:46:46 pm »
Wow-wow! Well done David. Back on the TT scene next week I hope, on a 75''. I trialled the bike today and it goes...
Frenchie - Train à Grande Vitesse

« Reply #102 on: 11 June, 2008, 09:50:30 pm »
Date             Distance         Course type       Weather conditions            Bike ridden               Time
1981?          10 miles        Boroughbridge   Good          Aende              23-42
1982           25 miles         F1                  Good          Aende              1-1-17
1980?          50 miles        Cheshire          Good          Aende              2-12-?? I think
1980?          100 miles       Cheshire         Good          Aende              4-54-??
1979          12 hours         Cheshire          Good          Aende              217.70 miles

Could check the details but wouldn't make much difference.

Can I have the prize for the biggest difference with my current times? 30-46 for the club 10 last night on the same Aende...

Maladict

« Reply #103 on: 11 June, 2008, 09:56:14 pm »
I mean to have another go soon.  When I was out on the Madone on Monday evening I felt quite comfortable at "evens" so I think I am faster - that was without the tri bars too.

Probably not tomorrow night as I have a 400 at the weekend.

David Martin

« Reply #104 on: 11 June, 2008, 10:04:53 pm »
Wow-wow! Well done David. Back on the TT scene next week I hope, on a 75''. I trialled the bike today and it goes...

Good stuff.. Our local youth rider who does the 10's rides on restricted gears (87" top for youth A?) and put in a 24.22. He did 23.44 last week.

loads of fun. The thing that aches the most is my elbows..

..d

David Martin

« Reply #105 on: 11 June, 2008, 10:07:05 pm »
Date             Distance         Course type       Weather conditions            Bike ridden               Time
1981?          10 miles        Boroughbridge   Good          Aende              23-42
1982           25 miles         F1                  Good          Aende              1-1-17
1980?          50 miles        Cheshire          Good          Aende              2-12-?? I think
1980?          100 miles       Cheshire         Good          Aende              4-54-??
1979          12 hours         Cheshire          Good          Aende              217.70 miles

Could check the details but wouldn't make much difference.

Can I have the prize for the biggest difference with my current times? 30-46 for the club 10 last night on the same Aende...

Isn't Boro' one ofthe faster 10 courses? It is amazing how addictive times can be. I was really pleased whenI heard the time, then spent the 30 minute drive home working out how I could shave off more time (apart from the obvious - eat less and do some training YFB).

..d

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #106 on: 11 June, 2008, 10:15:44 pm »
Lots of times being quoted, but where is the context of winner's time?

A 28 minute 10 with the winner doing 27 is different to if the winner does 19.

In Belgium no one ever talks about time, only position and gap to the winner.

you're tempting me to massage my ego  ::-)

annie

« Reply #107 on: 11 June, 2008, 10:16:44 pm »
If I was interested in having a go at a TT, how would I need to train to ensure I didn't make a complete noodle of myself?

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #108 on: 11 June, 2008, 10:19:07 pm »
If I was interested in having a go at a TT, how would I need to train to ensure I didn't make a complete noodle of myself?

This may be an unfounded prejudice, but I would have thought that TT types would take it all very seriously and that there would be no place for the sort of frivolity which is de rigueur when you've got a marmite sandwich stuck to your foot.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

annie

« Reply #109 on: 11 June, 2008, 10:22:13 pm »

This may be an unfounded prejudice, but I would have thought that TT types would take it all very seriously and that there would be no place for the sort of frivolity which is de rigueur when you've got a marmite sandwich stuck to your foot.
Damn, I knew I wouldn't fit in.  It didn't go down well on Sunday when I offered G & T's from the roadside.  I can be serious, normally between the hours of 4 and 5 am though which isn't much good in a time trial.  Perhaps I will do my own time trials, take the fixie and load it up with marmite sandwiches, sticking one on the bottom of each foot for luck. :)

IanDG

• the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #110 on: 11 June, 2008, 10:26:50 pm »

If TT'ing is the same as when I used to ride you wouldn't make a fool of yourself. In the cafe at the finish you would have race winners sharing a cup of tea with mr average club TT-er.

Training wise if you cycle regularly and have miles in the legs the next step would be to develop 'cruising' speed by tackling long intervals of around 5 mins - modern terminology would use words like 'anaerobic threshold'

annie

« Reply #111 on: 11 June, 2008, 10:29:43 pm »

If TT'ing is the same as when I used to ride you wouldn't make a fool of yourself. In the cafe at the finish you would have race winners sharing a cup of tea with mr average club TT-er.

Training wise if you cycle regularly and have miles in the legs the next step would be to develop 'cruising' speed by tackling long intervals of around 5 mins - modern terminology would use words like 'anaerobic threshold'

Thank you Windy.  Guess I ought to pop the HRM monitor on if I am to do this properly?

David Martin

« Reply #112 on: 11 June, 2008, 10:34:12 pm »

You don't. You just turn up. If it is a club event with entry on the line then turn up early and see if you can get sent off at the top of the list.

Don't worry about people passing you. They will. Your time is your own, you will finish before the last person so will not keep anyone waiting (hence getting there early to get an early start time).

And enjoy it. The first one is a learning experience. The second one a revision. The third one would be good but the weather will crap out. ANd so it goes on, chasing that elusive performance.

I always finish near the bottom of the list. Tonight was the first time I did better than that. And to be honest, the only thing people care about is that you enjoy it. Your time is irrelevant to them (unless you are competetive for the top spots or aboutthe same time as them so they can use you as a marker)

Get out there, put a number on your back and ride. It is a different experience to just riding hard on your own, very different.

And given the dearth of women competing, you have a chance of doing quite well.

As for training, I really ought to do some at some point. In the last 2 months I have done more miles warming up for and riding 10's than all the rest combined. Not many at all.

..d

gonzo

« Reply #113 on: 11 June, 2008, 10:39:03 pm »
Did a short 23 last night. Not entirely sure what my time was as I wasn't officially timed.

I always finish near the bottom of the list. Tonight was the first time I did better than that. And to be honest, the only thing people care about is that you enjoy it. Your time is irrelevant to them (unless you are competetive for the top spots or aboutthe same time as them so they can use you as a marker)

Top stuff!

annie

« Reply #114 on: 11 June, 2008, 10:58:00 pm »
Thank you David.  I am going to give it a go.  Will need to take off my mudguard, carradice bag and lights and just do my best I suppose.  If I spent as much time on my cycling as I do on running and now swimming I would probably do better but there isn't a chance of me giving up the others, they provide me with too much enjoyment and character building to quit.

Is it worth finding out the route first so I can go along and ride it beforehand?

Maladict

« Reply #115 on: 11 June, 2008, 11:36:15 pm »
It probably helps to know the route beforehand.  At the very least, you might be able to look at it on a map.

Please stop talking about this, I really shouldn't go on a TT tomorrow evening.  ;)

And you'll do just fine.  I set a target of 35 minutes for my first-ever 10 and did it in 31 minutes.  It didn't matter really that I came last, I beat my target.  :)

8 years later I did  my second ever 10, slower course, and went 45s faster.  And wasn't last.  Hell of a progress rate, that!

« Reply #116 on: 11 June, 2008, 11:48:37 pm »
Isn't Boro' one ofthe faster 10 courses?

How else do you think I did that time? That was on top Boro at the old Harrogate Festival of Cycling - I'm not sure the course is even there now.

The F1 is fast too.

The Cheshire courses were more sporting - as was my approach to the 12s :D

« Reply #117 on: 12 June, 2008, 08:45:06 am »
Annie,

My first TT this year was done on my commuter, with guards, dynamo hub etc. The gate keeper teased me: "Are you planning to be out so long you'll your light etc."; but it was all very nice. I finished middle of the field and closer to the top guys than the slow brigade. I had fun. Nobody mentioned it afterwards. Then I took a faster bike out... I'm looking forward to going back next week.
Frenchie - Train à Grande Vitesse

David Martin

« Reply #118 on: 12 June, 2008, 09:21:38 am »
As the weather could have turned bad, I had a light on my bike last night. Riding a black bike wearing black shorts and jersey (Astana 'special training'  kit ;-) ) in rain isn't my idea of smart, so I added a little electron band on flashy red thing to the seat post. I wasn't the only one to do that but in the end it wasn't needed.

Maladict(a) sounds like my story. Did my first 10 on the Princes Risboro' course in 1991. My next one was in 2004. Last night I finally beat the 1991 time.

It is well worth riding the course first, in part so you know just how fast you can take the corners and whether you are still on the right course.

..d

RogerT

• Playing with a big steamy thing
« Reply #119 on: 12 June, 2008, 10:26:36 am »
I was going to have a go at the Ely CC 13 mile TT on Tuesday as it is in on a course I know Well, but I didn't..

Pathetice excuses..

1.. I had done a 100 Mile Charity ride on Sunday and still hurt ( a bit )
2.. I was going to use the skip/project bike as the Dawes is just to heavy, but it is a bit of an embarresment.
3.. I actually set out to ride to the start and convinced myself that I was going quite quickly, until I was passed by 2 people obviously on their way to the same thing.  I felt like I was going backwards.
4.. Not sure if the ego could stand finishing very last ? ( Hows that for negative thinking ?? )

I AM going to enter one..I am sure, possibly  ::-) ::-)

annie

« Reply #120 on: 12 June, 2008, 10:30:53 am »
I was going to have a go at the Ely CC 13 mile TT on Tuesday as it is in on a course I know Well, but I didn't..

Pathetice excuses..

1.. I had done a 100 Mile Charity ride on Sunday and still hurt ( a bit )
2.. I was going to use the skip/project bike as the Dawes is just to heavy, but it is a bit of an embarresment.
3.. I actually set out to ride to the start and convinced myself that I was going quite quickly, until I was passed by 2 people obviously on their way to the same thing.  I felt like I was going backwards.
4.. Not sure if the ego caould stand finishing very last ? ( Hows that for negative thinking ?? )

I AM going to enter one..I am sure, possibly  ::-) ::-)

Shall we make a deal, if you do I will?  I am pathetic when it comes to doing things like this and suddenly go all shy and retiring :-[

RogerT

• Playing with a big steamy thing
« Reply #121 on: 12 June, 2008, 10:32:13 am »
Terms to be discussed on Sunday ??

But, yes, why not.

EDIT.. Shy and retiring..Not the Annie I know surely ???

annie

« Reply #122 on: 12 June, 2008, 10:35:12 am »
Terms to be discussed on Sunday ??

But, yes, why not.

EDIT.. Shy and retiring..Not the Annie I know surely ???

Done deal Mr T.

I don't like events like that in general.  When I was younger I ran cross country and ran well but when asked to run for the county I fell apart.  I haven't always been so bubbly and silly, or maybe I have and choose not to remember.

Anyway, it will be a good motivator for me, if your TT is on a Tuesday I then have to do mine on the Wed or Thur.

See you Sunday :)

IanDG

• the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #123 on: 12 June, 2008, 11:36:10 am »

As for training, I really ought to do some at some point. In the last 2 months I have done more miles warming up for and riding 10's than all the rest combined. Not many at all.

..d

Yeah, I suppose my post is suggesting 'serious' training. Loads of people ride TTs on just commuting and leisure miles

« Reply #124 on: 12 June, 2008, 11:46:08 am »
Did a Shaftesbury Evening 10 last night - my first time trial.

Date           Distance     Course type      Weather conditions     Bike ridden                  Time
11/06/08   10 miles       E.83a rolling      overcast                    Raleigh, fixed - 84.1"    27.10 mins.

Club results page here.

I was aiming for around 26 minutes so did about as expected. I've been having niggling problems with some old aero bars I acquired recently so didn't use them (can't quite clamp them sufficiently - get up/down movement and they're making a mess of my brake cables). From previous rides though, when using them, I estimate I could save a minute or two - so I might invest in a new set pretty soon!

Will try again next week...