Author Topic: The TT Thread  (Read 417696 times)

Re: The TT Thread
« Reply #125 on: 12 June, 2008, 11:52:48 am »
Haha! You were faster than half those blokes with disc wheels, aero helmets and bikes worth more than a young child's life!  :P

Edit: And faster than that other guy on fixed!
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

« Reply #126 on: 12 June, 2008, 11:57:32 am »
£500 bike vs £2000 bike - bring it on! If I had the money though I'd be on one in a second.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #127 on: 12 June, 2008, 12:07:38 pm »
£500 bike vs £2000 bike - bring it on! If I had the money though I'd be on one in a second.

The fastest guys are on the fancy bikes. The fast guys are the ones who just clip on a pair of bars and still do a sub 25. There are a number of people in the local TT scene who ride full on kit but don't set 'good' times. Doesn't matter. The only times it matters is at the boxing day '10' when turning up on full on kit and setting a crap time will mean a fair amount of ribbing. Mudguards and no aero bars is the order of the day for that.
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

« Reply #128 on: 12 June, 2008, 01:01:14 pm »

annie

« Reply #129 on: 17 June, 2008, 09:09:19 pm »
Congratulations Roger T, can't wait to hear all about the TT.  When I received your text I thought I was dreaming.  I will be looking to crawl home before everyone leaves from the pub.

A deal is a deal.  Now need to find a club and enter :o  Oh dearie dearie dumples ;)

gonzo

« Reply #130 on: 17 June, 2008, 09:18:28 pm »
Good news everyone; I've just had a great TT and that was after staying up late last night and eating a large bar of dairy milk with crunchie. UI can therefore only conclude that these are beneficial for performance!

We'll ingore the good warm up I had for a change!

annie

« Reply #131 on: 17 June, 2008, 09:19:26 pm »
Good news everyone; I've just had a great TT and that was after staying up late last night and eating a large bar of dairy milk with crunchie. UI can therefore only conclude that these are beneficial for performance!

Well done.  Dare I ask how well?

gonzo

« Reply #132 on: 17 June, 2008, 09:27:54 pm »
A sub 24 minute 10 on a regular road bike with regular road kit!

annie

« Reply #133 on: 17 June, 2008, 09:36:39 pm »

Blimey that's great.

I appear to have agreed to do a TT :-\ however, I didn't say what year.

gonzo

« Reply #134 on: 17 June, 2008, 09:42:18 pm »

They're great fun. Remember a great tip I was once given though; push yourself till you're going to be sick then ease back a little and then hold that pain level. The fun thing... you get that afterwards, not during!

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #135 on: 17 June, 2008, 10:00:07 pm »

Hmmm..

Up till 3 yesterday finishing off a grant application, then up at 7 as per usual. Up till 2 finishing an assignment today, up at 7.30. Not the best prep.
Going over tomorrows conference presentation with a student. She brought in a big bag of nice chocolates.

Out to the TT. Feeling tired. Early off (3 - the other David Martin was off at 1 - there is a third who is faster than both of us in Glasgow) which meant I hadn't got time for a proper warm up.
Mistimed my arrival at the start, rolled up just after the previous guy left.
30 secs. The holderupper's mobile rings so he decides that is more important than a decent start. Stand in holderupper appears but being a wee bit flustered I forget to reset my speedo (for distance) and don't notice that I have not clipped in properly.
Poor start. Spend the first two miles seriously contemplating turning round and going home. It gets better as I settle into it.

Turn, still feeling rubbish. Finish in  28.34 and am disappointed knowing I should have done significantly better.

However, it is my second fastest time this year, and the fastest on that course, 40+ secs of a month ago so I suppose I should be pleased.

Then had to get the tea and cakes out when I got back to the hall, and discovered I got beaten by a youth B for 11 secs (he took 2 mins off his time of a month ago).

Fastest on the night 22.11

..d
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

annie

« Reply #136 on: 17 June, 2008, 10:53:42 pm »

They're great fun. Remember a great tip I was once given though; push yourself till you're going to be sick then ease back a little and then hold that pain level. The fun thing... you get that afterwards, not during!

Gulp.  I am going to have a go at my own TT in the morning to see how I do, won't have a big breakfast just in case.  I managed seven in 20 minutes so who knows what is possible. 

RogerT

• Playing with a big steamy thing
« Reply #137 on: 18 June, 2008, 07:17:13 am »
1st ever TT last night !  10 mile Ely CC on an almost flat course.  Quite windy on the way out but lots of assitance on the way back.

Took the Carlton Skip bike which is not exactly ideal but managed a 30.24 which I was not dissapointed with.

I can see this becoming addictive  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #138 on: 18 June, 2008, 07:40:36 am »
Nice one Roger, 'evens' is not out of reach

RogerT

« Reply #139 on: 18 June, 2008, 08:29:45 am »

Blimey that's great.

Oi !! No getting out of it Annie..a deal is a deal..

Simple Answer, Ely is only 1 hour from Needham Market ( I have recent experience of this ) so come up on a Tuesday night .  I am sure you will be very welcome.  A Bit of glamour always goes down well, and your not to bad either  ;) ;)

annie

« Reply #140 on: 18 June, 2008, 08:51:40 am »

Blimey that's great.

Oi !! No getting out of it Annie..a deal is a deal..

Simple Answer, Ely is only 1 hour from Needham Market ( I have recent experience of this ) so come up on a Tuesday night .  I am sure you will be very welcome.  A Bit of glamour always goes down well, and your not to bad either  ;) ;)

Ok Roger, that is a deal.  Ely it is then.  I just need to have some directions.

The only question is, Betty Boop or The Gladiator top :-\

Am I dreaming, did I really just agree to do this?

« Reply #141 on: 18 June, 2008, 08:55:26 am »
The tighter one Annie. More aerodynamic!
Frenchie - Train à Grande Vitesse

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #142 on: 18 June, 2008, 09:32:17 am »

Who said full-time training doesn't help? :) You just need some sponsors now ;)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Maladict

« Reply #143 on: 18 June, 2008, 11:02:40 am »
Nice one Roger.

I was going to do one this Thurs perhaps but after the effect of footie last night and with a 600 this w/end I think not... I am aching in lots of places and need to recover!

annie

« Reply #144 on: 18 June, 2008, 11:07:10 am »
The tighter one Annie. More aerodynamic!

If tightness is the key then it should be my tri-suit with my 'Skins' top :)

annie

« Reply #145 on: 18 June, 2008, 11:22:31 am »
I have agreed to do a TT on 1st July :-\  No going back now.

« Reply #146 on: 18 June, 2008, 11:41:41 am »

You could always go along and watch first. I did that last week when TOKaMak did his first TT. I was a bit apprehensive as I didn't want to enter and do a shit time! Now I realise that it really doesn't matter. Even the super fast guys on bling machines were really friendly and one guy rocked up and did a really crap time but nobody mocked or blanked him just because he was slow.

I doubt I'll be able to leave work early enough today to do the local 10, but next week I'll be there and I don't care if I come in last with 35 mins or something!
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

annie

« Reply #147 on: 18 June, 2008, 11:43:51 am »

You could always go along and watch first. I did that last week when TOKaMak did his first TT. I was a bit apprehensive as I didn't want to enter and do a shit time! Now I realise that it really doesn't matter. Even the super fast guys on bling machines were really friendly and one guy rocked up and did a really crap time but nobody mocked or blanked him just because he was slow.

I doubt I'll be able to leave work early enough today to do the local 10, but next week I'll be there and I don't care if I come in last with 35 mins or something!

:-* thanks Bobb, I feel much better for hearing that.

gonzo

« Reply #148 on: 18 June, 2008, 11:47:02 am »
The only person I've ever seen mocked at a time trial was the guy who'd won the event consistently for the last 2 years and who did a bad time at the same time that someone else did a good one!

Annie; you'll be fine. You're only racing yourself anyhow!

RogerT

« Reply #149 on: 18 June, 2008, 11:50:59 am »
One of the really nice things last night was the ( much faster ) guy who came past me but found time to offer a word of encouragement.  At no time did I feel intimdated, laughed at , or anything remotely offputting.  It was just bloody good fun and a real self learning experience.

You will be more than fine, but I must warn you that eating Marmite Sarnies en route will slow you down.  Just have 2 jelly people before you start ( you know which colour )