Author Topic: Your fatbike  (Read 81202 times)

Re: Your fatbike
« Reply #175 on: 01 June, 2015, 08:10:42 pm »
It would be good to arrange a forum offroad bivvy trip. I'm going to try an overnighter in Wales this week, the weather may put a stop to that though! I'm on Mull June/July too. A Gisburn trip would be good late summer :thumbsup:

I'd be delighted to do a forum thing in the summer.

We could have this place for up to 14 people for £160.

http://www.dalehousebarn.co.uk/index.php?s=booking

« Reply #176 on: 01 June, 2015, 08:15:58 pm »
I'd be up for it in Aug/Sept :thumbsup:
OnOne Pickenflick - Tour De Fer 20 - Pinnacle Arkose cx - Charge Cooker maxi2 fatty - GT Zaskar Carbon Expert

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #177 on: 01 June, 2015, 09:26:33 pm »
I'd be up for it too, providing it doesn't clash with SSUK (ie. first weekend in September) despite no longer having a fatbike (and it's unlikely that the ECR project will be happening before the end of the year)

« Reply #178 on: 01 June, 2015, 09:27:38 pm »
Doesn't have to be a fat ride, just muddy :thumbsup:
OnOne Pickenflick - Tour De Fer 20 - Pinnacle Arkose cx - Charge Cooker maxi2 fatty - GT Zaskar Carbon Expert

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #179 on: 01 June, 2015, 09:34:17 pm »
If the current weather situation outside my window is any indication, 'muddy' won't be a problem.

Besides, the Karate Monkey needs a proper 'baptism' (or the mud/crud equivalent thereof)

« Reply #180 on: 01 June, 2015, 09:44:49 pm »
I'll accept dry too.

Just not going to hold my breath for that!

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #181 on: 01 June, 2015, 10:20:13 pm »
Yes a Stache 9

50mm Mulefats

It's got plenty of clearance. The forks can take 3.4s, and the rear has at least as much clearance.

Nice!

Had a quick go on one a couple of weeks ago. Despite having no grip on the pedals - it had flats and I had SPDs - it felt great. Trying to arrange a proper ride on it.

« Reply #182 on: 02 June, 2015, 05:06:10 am »
I'll ring the barn today and see what weekends they have free for a group booking.

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #183 on: 02 June, 2015, 07:52:17 am »
Logistically, Gisburn is a good location for me - it's rideable from York (70 miles or so) but there are relatively straightforward train options too (Skipton or Gargrave)

Just need to get my confidence back - I've not ridden nearly as much as I'd like since I broke my wrist last year  :-\ Hopefully I'll get a couple of overnighters in on the Moors between now and whenever, too.

« Reply #184 on: 02 June, 2015, 09:05:40 am »
if this falls through, I'd be content in a tent  :thumbsup:

« Reply #185 on: 30 June, 2015, 02:46:18 pm »
Sunshine AND heat on Mull

« Reply #186 on: 30 June, 2015, 02:54:02 pm »
git  ;)
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #187 on: 30 June, 2015, 02:57:58 pm »

« Reply #188 on: 02 July, 2015, 01:41:09 pm »

Partially alpkitted up. Drybag works ace on the Jones bars - no harness required. Got a fuel pod coming.

Next change will be a 26 or 28t direct mount chainring. Think 30T will be a bit much for the Peak 200 and the BB200 that I have in the diary.

« Reply #189 on: 02 July, 2015, 07:20:18 pm »
stick an expnder on with the 30t, mine gets me up everything :thumbsup:

« Reply #190 on: 03 July, 2015, 05:03:46 am »
It's a 42T on the back already!

Plus I'm a spinner not a stomper.

Plus my wheels are 31" - I need smaller gears than a 26xfat

And... I really want an excuse to go spiderless.

« Reply #191 on: 03 July, 2015, 02:59:09 pm »
Dr M, that's looks great. How's it ride?
not so much a gravel grinder.... more of a gravel groveller

« Reply #192 on: 04 July, 2015, 01:19:22 pm »
Comfy and quick.

I got it primarily for long distance ITT type events, but the super short chainstays make it incredibly flickable. I'll soon have my Whyte 901 up for sale. The handling, both in terms of steering and how chuckable it is, feel more like a 26er than the 29ers I've tested, but it has more of the traction and roll-over ability than any 29er I've tried. It's cushy like a fatbike, but without the bouncy tyres or self-steering I've experienced on them.

You could argue that the extra traction dumbs down riding, much like a full sus does compared to a hardtail. I'd agree, but I'm too old to care. The extra traction makes stuff I'd worry about on my 26er seem very easy indeed.

I am delighted with it. My only concern is quite how quickly I'm chewing through the rear tyre doing 50km a day on it commuting off road. I'm running Bontrager Chupacabras, which are supposed o be the best all rounder. I think I'll be lucky to get much more than three months out of the rear, which at ~£80 a pop is a pain.

« Reply #193 on: 12 December, 2015, 03:45:12 pm »
I'm now full fat again.

After selling the 907 and planning on going 27.5+ for summer bikepacking duties, a test ride has swayed me back to full fat. A 28t chainring with a 42t rear just goes up those loose slopes so easily. The frame on the 907 wasn't the best for bikepacking duties because of the curved shape of the top tube. It was a pig to get stuff to fit inside the triangle.

I found the 650 wtb 2.8 tyres I tried a compromise of faster 29s trying to get the air cushioning and grip of fat. Fat just grips and cushions the ride.

The 907 is now in Wales and possibly the Netherlands. I miss it but it was a bike in every term, everyone had ridden it*. It was a cheap hussy!

A new steel Charge cooker 2 in bright blue is on the way, with a really nice discount. Wish it was here for tomorrows ride in Wales, but it'll be here for next weekend in Cumbria :thumbsup:

* it was a demo bike from Tim @ Sideways

« Reply #194 on: 01 January, 2016, 08:32:53 am »
rear 29er mudhugger  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

easy to fit, no heatgun required, covers my 4" tyres, isn't as in your face a pdw and keeps my bum clean 'n' dry :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

« Reply #195 on: 05 January, 2016, 12:41:09 pm »
on on floaters reduced today £17.59 :o

code:

PR12DWHEETYRES

http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/TYOO26FAT/on-one-floater-fat-tyre

« Reply #196 on: 30 January, 2016, 12:10:41 pm »
Not mine and maybe not full fat, but I thought this looked great

« Reply #197 on: 30 January, 2016, 12:16:02 pm »
nice ECR, was thinking of getting one when I sold my 907 but full fat is in the blood now.

might be in yours if you keep looking ;D

« Reply #198 on: 30 January, 2016, 10:05:10 pm »
nice ECR, was thinking of getting one when I sold my 907 but full fat is in the blood now.

might be in yours if you keep looking ;D

mmm, I've got a road bike wearing tyres that come up at 37mm wide at present and a full suss mtb that I really ought to sell. I can easily see how that could lead to a fat tyred bike [acking equipped machine in a trice

Mike

« Reply #199 on: 31 January, 2016, 08:06:05 am »
Yes trice do make a nice fat tyred trike :demon:
the slower you go the more you see