Author Topic: Silicon Grease  (Read 1907 times)

Silicon Grease
« on: 05 January, 2019, 11:17:17 am »
Is there any reason why not to put silicon grease in a mini / micro usb port? (I'm wanting to do it to add some protection while charging in the wet. Edges and other electrical stuff.) Thanks.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: Silicon Grease
« Reply #1 on: 05 January, 2019, 12:09:18 pm »
Main argument against would be that it would encourage the accumulation of dirt, but I don't think that's anything a squirt of IPA wouldn't solve.

I don't do it myself, simply because I don't use USB connectors in wet environments.

Ben T

« Reply #2 on: 05 January, 2019, 06:14:57 pm »
er... cos there's no need to?
Seems like far too much effort to go to to avoid having an etrex  ::-)

« Reply #3 on: 13 January, 2019, 10:25:55 pm »
+1 for etrexs.  But the silicon grease has solved my intermittent connection problem on a micro usb port. (I think these things corrode fast when they get a bit of water in them.)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4 on: 13 January, 2019, 10:27:44 pm »
Yep, DC voltages on small connectors in the wet is a recipe for corrosion.  It'll be far worse than, say, dynamo wiring.

« Reply #5 on: 13 January, 2019, 10:35:21 pm »
Most USB connectors aren't sealed at the back, so as long as you're happy with grease being pushed inside of the device each time you connect something...

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #6 on: 13 January, 2019, 10:38:41 pm »
The mini-B connectors used by Garmin are the exception here.  Indeed, I suspect the reason they've stuck with them for so long while the rest of the world was standardising on micro is because they've got a design that's waterproof.

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #7 on: 14 January, 2019, 09:34:11 am »
Yep, DC voltages on small connectors in the wet is a recipe for corrosion.  It'll be far worse than, say, dynamo wiring.

"twitch"  ;)
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll