Author Topic: Bikes and Bloomers photoshoot  (Read 4572 times)

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
Bikes and Bloomers photoshoot
« on: 25 July, 2014, 08:24:51 pm »
So last weekend, I did a photoshoot for my friend and fellow penny rider Kat, who has been collaborating on an academic project called Freedom of Movement: the bike, bloomer and female cyclist in late nineteenth century Britain.  The very marvellous Nikki of this parish is has also been involved, making, organising and generally doing what she does best.  Kat and her research partner Rachel have recreated women's cycling garments from the 1890s from patents and they are *awesome*.  You can read more about the project here.

We chose to work up at Temple on the basis that it's a good match for the period and Julian was kind enough to let us base ourselves out of her office (which was just round the corner) for the day.  We borrowed an amazing 1890's original safety bicycle for the day and it's owner was lovely enough to let Kat ride it.  What a treat!

So here are some of the photos we all made, as well as a few snaps of yours truly getting busy with the camera:

The full set of photos is over on my website:

http://www.charlottebarnes.co.uk/140919bikesandbloomers
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

clarion

• Tyke
Re: Bikes and Bloomers photoshoot
« Reply #1 on: 25 July, 2014, 08:29:17 pm »
Excellent work.  Thanks for sharing.
Getting there...

« Reply #2 on: 25 July, 2014, 08:51:52 pm »
They look amazing :thumbsup:

Like the last  legs akimbo shot  ;D
OnOne Pickenflick - Tour De Fer 20 - Pinnacle Arkose cx - Charge Cooker maxi2 fatty - GT Zaskar Carbon Expert

« Reply #3 on: 25 July, 2014, 09:05:27 pm »
Great photos Charlotte well done  :thumbsup:

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #4 on: 25 July, 2014, 09:12:06 pm »
Wonderful!
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

« Reply #5 on: 25 July, 2014, 09:35:10 pm »
That last shot looks like you are taking out a bad driver with an RPG  ;D
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

« Reply #6 on: 25 July, 2014, 09:40:58 pm »
Phwaarrrrr......ahem.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: 25 July, 2014, 11:06:50 pm »
That last shot looks like you are taking out a bad driver with an RPG  ;D

Fire in the hole!

Ruth

« Reply #8 on: 25 July, 2014, 11:11:56 pm »
Oh, wow.  That last one is really, really special.  Well, they all are, but there's something very atmospheric about that.

I think it's the colours.

Ruth

« Reply #9 on: 25 July, 2014, 11:18:20 pm »
I don't mean the one of you Charlotte, the one above that with the women.

« Reply #10 on: 25 July, 2014, 11:39:59 pm »
your talents are wasted Charlotte,
funny I didn't know they had colour back then!!?? :)

slope

• Inclined to distraction
    • Current pedalable joys
« Reply #11 on: 26 July, 2014, 06:39:42 am »
Fabulous, fab photos and stunning clothing!

« Reply #12 on: 26 July, 2014, 10:59:38 am »
Nice work.
instagram / twitter: @bluemcardle

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #13 on: 26 July, 2014, 12:02:28 pm »
your talents are wasted Charlotte,
funny I didn't know they had colour back then!!?? :)

I thought that too, but thinking about it, azo dyes were developed around the same sort of time, so there would have been a lot of colour around as it would have been new and exciting.

Some lovely shots there, and I think the teal/grey/white outfit especially is brilliant.
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #14 on: 26 July, 2014, 04:17:23 pm »
Great work, Charlotte.  Something that did cross my mind was that Victorian ladies would have been more likely to smile with their mouths shut, dentistry being what it was.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #15 on: 26 July, 2014, 09:42:39 pm »
Wonderful! I so want one of those outfits! :)
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

« Reply #16 on: 26 July, 2014, 10:04:38 pm »
We are multiply blessed.   Beautiful ladies wearing beautiful clothes, beautifully photographed by one of our beautiful friends  :thumbsup:
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

red marley

« Reply #17 on: 26 July, 2014, 10:33:25 pm »
Kat will be talking about bloomers, bikes and female suffrage at this event in September.

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #18 on: 26 July, 2014, 10:58:53 pm »
Great shots, Aunty C. Very, very good.

« Reply #19 on: 26 July, 2014, 11:23:36 pm »
The five abreast reservoir dogs compo is the stand-out for me, with incredibly well executed lighting.  It's a very, very strong shot.

The rest are clearly what you set out to achieve and demonstrate good control, but I hope you don't mind me giving some takeitorleaveit feedback anyway.. 

Wonky composition has been done to death by a thousand Damian Lovegrove clones and is now sufficiently cliched to be irritating IMHO. 

I also think you've done a very attractive model (newsprint skirt) a disservice by shooting close with a wide angle lens from a slightly low viewpoint - it gives her a bit of a Desperate Dan chin, which, looking at the other shots, isn't there in reality. However good you get the basics of standard or longer lens and elevated viewpoint for flattering faces still apply.

Sorry to be pernickety - wouldn't if you weren't achieving such a high standard overall.

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #20 on: 27 July, 2014, 08:41:38 pm »
Great work, Charlotte.  Something that did cross my mind was that Victorian ladies would have been more likely to smile with their mouths shut, dentistry being what it was.

True - but in fairness, we were never going for absolute authenticity; just a flavour of Victoriana.

The five abreast reservoir dogs compo is the stand-out for me, with incredibly well executed lighting.  It's a very, very strong shot.

Thanks.  Everything I did that morning was either shot with one big Quadra with a small reflector and 1/2CTO, an on-camera flash or simple natural light.  The five abreast one at the beginning (is that the one you mean?) was done with the big Quadra as an angled backlight to give a little separation and a hint of morning-light flare.

The rest are clearly what you set out to achieve and demonstrate good control, but I hope you don't mind me giving some takeitorleaveit feedback anyway.. 

Wonky composition has been done to death by a thousand Damian Lovegrove clones and is now sufficiently cliched to be irritating IMHO. 

Ha, yes.  But people still like it, so I still sometimes do it.  This was a job for someone, not a personal project.

I also think you've done a very attractive model (newsprint skirt) a disservice by shooting close with a wide angle lens from a slightly low viewpoint - it gives her a bit of a Desperate Dan chin, which, looking at the other shots, isn't there in reality. However good you get the basics of standard or longer lens and elevated viewpoint for flattering faces still apply.

Sorry to be pernickety - wouldn't if you weren't achieving such a high standard overall.

No, not at all.  If you just say 'nice capture' (or something equally bland) it doesn't mean anything.  I like to hear what people really think, especially if they think I could have done better.

Yeah, the DD chin could have been played down a tad more maybe, but I was running and gunning with a standard zoom by the stage we did that and you're absolutely right, my focal length and angle didn't work so well for her.  I'd been getting grief from the head porter of Middle Temple who didn't know we were going to be there, on account of how I'd got permission from Inner Temple and didn't know where the boundary line was.  PITA.

« Reply #21 on: 27 July, 2014, 11:07:56 pm »
Oh wow! Thank you for sharing these, Charlotte!

I only spent a couple of weeks helping out on the project several months ago, but it means I know something of the back stories to the garments: the trials and tribulations of how they came into being as objects and the stories they encapsulate. Seeing the finished skirts, capes and bloomers presented in polished photos gives me an enormous sense of vicarious pride!

I'd also like to give a nod to the other sort of photographer skills at play here. I've worked alongside most of the women in the photos and have also heard/seen how hot and heavy the outfits are to wear. That photoshoot must have been a long and physically demanding day, but the smiles are still smiley and I get a real sense of the awesome people smiling them. Splendid!