Author Topic: Vitamin supplements - making a difference?  (Read 7208 times)

Vitamin supplements - making a difference?
« on: 02 June, 2008, 09:50:25 pm »
About a month ago I started taking vitamins - the ones "specially formulated for Wimmin". Not the super-dear Vitabiotics brand, but the Boots' cheaper equivalent: a big chunky red pill with all the standard ABCs, plus starflower and Evening Primrose oils and I know not what.

Dare I speak too soon... I am actually noticing a difference! My nails and hair are a lot stronger and shinier, my nose is wet and tail wagging and when the English disembark I don't experience as much discomfort as I usually do.  :thumbsup:

Does anyone else take these/the male equivalent/other supplements that seem to do the trick?

annie

Re: Vitamin supplements - making a difference?
« Reply #1 on: 03 June, 2008, 06:41:57 am »
I take my usual pill (HRT), once a day and used to take soluble Vit B and C, however they both upset my tummy.  I have recently been taking Floradix which seems to have given me a boost.  My nails grow far too fast as it is and are extremely hard already.  I may well try some alternatives though.

I am glad they are working for you Peli.

Gandalf

• Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty
« Reply #2 on: 03 June, 2008, 07:35:18 am »
I take a multivitamin once a day that I get from the Vegan Society as a precaution against the theoretical B12 shortage. 

TBH I can't say I've noticed any difference in comparison to when I wasn't taking supplements.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #3 on: 03 June, 2008, 07:39:45 am »
I haven't been taking Boy Pills but after my lurgy-fest in January I became a diehard multivitamin + probiotic user.  Been fit as a fiddle ever since. :thumbsup:
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

« Reply #4 on: 03 June, 2008, 09:10:06 am »
I eat all my fruit and veg and almost never get ill. I'd sooner change diet than pop pills.

« Reply #5 on: 03 June, 2008, 09:11:30 am »
I dont take them regularly but use Berocca when I'm knackered.  It seems to work like the ad says, 'it's like you, but on a really good day'.

Probiotics dont seem to make any difference at all.

« Reply #6 on: 03 June, 2008, 09:28:32 am »
I eat all my fruit and veg and almost never get ill. I'd sooner change diet than pop pills.

+1

It seems there are more and more studies showing that you're more likely to harm your health by popping pills.
Your Royal Charles are belong to us.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #7 on: 03 June, 2008, 09:42:42 am »
...big dose pills, that is.

Long gruelling stuff takes more out of me than my healthy diet puts back.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

Gandalf

• Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty
« Reply #8 on: 03 June, 2008, 10:22:47 am »
I have never quite understood the one-size fits-all term 'popping pills'. 

Is it meant to be some kind of perjorative reference to drug abuse?

« Reply #9 on: 03 June, 2008, 10:29:28 am »
It's not only big dose pills that are the problem, Andy.

FatBloke

• I come from a land up over!
« Reply #10 on: 03 June, 2008, 10:32:44 am »
If you eat a healthy, balanced diet, the only effect popping vitamin pills is going to have is a reduction in your bank balance.  :P
This isn't just a thousand to one shot. This is a professional blood sport. It can happen to you. And it can happen again.

« Reply #11 on: 03 June, 2008, 10:34:51 am »
And dyeing your urine...

FatBloke

• I come from a land up over!
« Reply #12 on: 03 June, 2008, 10:36:43 am »
And dyeing your urine...
I quite fancy blue urine. It would certainly make a fashion statement in the gents!   ;D
This isn't just a thousand to one shot. This is a professional blood sport. It can happen to you. And it can happen again.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #13 on: 03 June, 2008, 10:43:35 am »
If you eat a healthy, balanced diet, the only effect popping vitamin pills is going to have is a reduction in your bank balance.  :P

whatever

onb

• Between jobs at present
« Reply #14 on: 03 June, 2008, 10:52:25 am »
I take Glucosamate for my joints it seems to help.

Julian

• samoture
« Reply #15 on: 03 June, 2008, 10:56:02 am »
I take echinacea in the winter on the basis that it's a highly recommended placebo.  I should take iron tablets but I don't always remember.  An all-in-one sounds like a good idea.  A wet nose and a shiny coat, you say?  :D

« Reply #16 on: 03 June, 2008, 10:56:38 am »
I was always very skeptical about them but I had a period of about six months a while ago where I caught every bug going, despite making the effort to have a good diet with plenty of fruit, veg and protein etc, and felt really run down.

I just couldn't afford to keep getting sick and having time off (and I don't like hauling myself in to spread the bugs around the office), so I started taking Berocca tablets in desperation, and have felt better since, the bugs have stopped for now (touch wood!), so perhaps I was missing something in my diet, but I can't think what.

« Reply #17 on: 03 June, 2008, 10:59:28 am »
so perhaps I was missing something in my diet, but I can't think what.

Which is exactly why a one-a-day multivitamin supplement is a good insurance policy.

« Reply #18 on: 03 June, 2008, 11:03:31 am »
I take Sainsburys own make multivitamins + iron as I started to eat more vegetarian meals, don't know if there are making any difference to my heath though

« Reply #19 on: 03 June, 2008, 12:41:10 pm »
I take Boots own one-a-day multivit (primarily for calcium & B12, since I'm vegan), Floradix liquid iron (I've been mildly anaemic my entire life; it makes a noticable difference to my cycling ability!), and Evening Primrose Oil (stops me getting suicidally depressed once a month.  I gather there's little to no evidence that it works as anything other than a placebo, but I Do Not Care, since without it, I spend 24 hours crying uncontrollably & eyeing up the kitchen knives, and with it, I don't.  If it's a placebo, great, it still works.)

If I think I'm coming down with a cold I take Vit C 1g & zinc for a couple of days, which does seem to help. 

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #20 on: 03 June, 2008, 01:31:06 pm »

Agreed

« Reply #21 on: 03 June, 2008, 08:38:11 pm »
I take echinacea in the winter on the basis that it's a highly recommended placebo.  I should take iron tablets but I don't always remember.  An all-in-one sounds like a good idea.  A wet nose and a shiny coat, you say?  :D
Indeed! But the most startling thing is how hard and long my nails now are  :demon:

Maladict

« Reply #22 on: 03 June, 2008, 08:43:48 pm »
Fruit and veg contain all sorts of nutrients that aren't understood and you won't get from a pill.  Vitamin pills aren't a substitute for a healthy diet and there's no evidence of them making you live any longer.

I was surprised by this:

Brown rice - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I had naively assumed all that was lost with white rice was a bit of fibre; not so.  Brown rice is far more nutritious.  How many of you pill poppers are eating white rice regularly (as I used to until last week when I read that)?

« Reply #23 on: 03 June, 2008, 08:45:51 pm »
I eat a very healthy diet (and yes, much prefer brown rice and brown pasta to white. Ugh, I hate white rice). I am vegetarian though, and just wonder if there was something I was missing as I do feel better. And I don't think I could have got starflower or Evening Primrose oil from another source?

« Reply #24 on: 03 June, 2008, 09:02:16 pm »
I very rarely eat white rice - though do eat white basmati (which isn't as bad as white long-grain).  Brown rice mostly, though.

EPO is I think just a variety of a particular fatty acid - can be gotten from food but it's more hassle. 

I'd agree that in general, a varied healthy diet should see you fine, and absolutely pills are not a substitute for that.  But if you're inclined to be lacking in things (e.g. my anaemia), then supplements may be a good, well, supplement.  Peli - if you were feeling generally a bit below-par & are now feeling generally a bit better, iron is a likely culprit (especially if it's cyclical - I'm much more anaemic around my period, to the point that I check when long rides fall in my cycle (the other sort of cycle...) ).  Getting enough iron can be a bit tougher for women & for vegetarians.