Author Topic: Porridge!  (Read 3930 times)

Re: Porridge!
« Reply #25 on: 16 November, 2009, 01:10:49 pm »
Hello,

40 g Flahanavan's oat with 1/2 milk/water.  cook on hob (don't have microwave and don't one), simmer for 3 mins.  Then pour over chopped dried dates (two) add weat germ and mix.  If needed add a little milk.  Couldn't do the winter (and sometimes summer) commute of 60 km return.  If the weather is really bad just at honey. :)

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #26 on: 07 January, 2010, 12:51:44 pm »
Getting there...

John Henry

« Reply #27 on: 07 January, 2010, 12:57:18 pm »
Apparently, porridge is so 'in'

I read that earlier. Very pretentious. She lost me completely at the point where she suggested making it with mineral water.  ::-)

I'm currently still on the Waitrose Essential oats with added bran - perfectly OK, and a barely measurable cost per serving.

Porridge in this weather - nom nom perfect.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #28 on: 07 January, 2010, 12:58:57 pm »
A bit up itself, really.  But amusing.

Porridge is just one of those pleasures that is simple & cheap, and always better than you imagined. 
Getting there...

« Reply #29 on: 07 January, 2010, 01:02:48 pm »
Apparently, porridge is so 'in'
Seems so. Last night I saw a new advert for "non lumpy" porridge called Paw Ridge.
Quote from: Marbeaux
Have given this a great deal of thought and decided not to contribute to any further Threads for the time being.
POTD. (decade) :thumbsup:

« Reply #30 on: 07 January, 2010, 01:08:14 pm »
Seems so. Last night I saw a new advert for "non lumpy" porridge called Paw Ridge.
After checking the Quaker site it's just finely milled oats and nothing else.

Woofage

• Tofu-eating Wokerati
  • Ain't no hooves on my bike.
« Reply #31 on: 07 January, 2010, 03:31:31 pm »
One heaped mug of oats: 3 nearly full mugs of 1:1 milk: water. Perfect. Sometimes I make a bit more so there's some left for the chooks.

I like sugar on mine. We keep a jar of caster sugar with a vanilla pod for just this type of thing.
Pen Pusher

« Reply #32 on: 07 January, 2010, 03:45:51 pm »

I loved a bit of rose syrup mixed into mine. 

Shocking pink porridge with a hint of Turkish Delightness.   :o
Quote from: Marbeaux
Have given this a great deal of thought and decided not to contribute to any further Threads for the time being.
POTD. (decade) :thumbsup:

FyPuNK

« Reply #33 on: 08 January, 2010, 11:33:29 pm »
Porridge, honey (manuka) and dried dates chopped up. simples eeek.

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #34 on: 08 January, 2010, 11:36:46 pm »
I like mine with manuka honey & sliced bananna

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #35 on: 10 January, 2010, 08:55:47 pm »
Gently boil 30g oats in liquid of your choice for 2-3 minutes, stirring constantly.
I don't know if you like or loathe milky porridge, or how thick you like it.
Experiment and enjoy!
Simples.

John Henry

« Reply #36 on: 10 January, 2010, 09:27:04 pm »
Ok, I love porridge, but I'm trying to find a quick and easy way to make it as I normally have 15 minutes to prepare and eat breakfast each morning, and I don't have a microwave..

15 minutes would be enough, I'd have thought. About half that (max) to make it and the same again to eat it. Try it. Bring it the boil reasonably gently, particularly if you're using milk, and then it needs to simmer for a couple of minutes. Stir it gently throughout.

It can be nicer made more slowly, as the oats absorb more liquid and become softer. Some people pre-soak the oats overnight. But then you might prefer your oats al dente. Hellymedic's right, just experiment.

goatpebble

« Reply #37 on: 16 January, 2010, 09:17:51 pm »
There seems to be something of a resistance to porridge made with water, and a horror of salt. I have to admit to a liking for the sheer luxury of contrast. Porridge made simply and traditionally, but then adorned with heavy cream, and honey.

Every time the spoon slides into the delightful cross section of oats, subliminally salted, and comes up with a layer of cream and intense sweetness...

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #38 on: 16 January, 2010, 09:20:15 pm »
that's almost orgasmic ;D

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #39 on: 16 January, 2010, 10:23:41 pm »
At 34 (ahem) yrs old, I had my first bowl of porridge on Monday (after having a wee taste of Pingu's in Embra airport) - there was nothing decent to eat cereal-wise in the chalet (i.e. no muesli and lots of nutrition free-flakes) and it was surprisingly good!
A lot better than the last time I tasted it and thought it was like wallpaper paste anyway :D
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.