Author Topic: The horror. Really. I couldn't live without it.  (Read 3986 times)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: The horror. Really. I couldn't live without it.
« Reply #25 on: 21 March, 2012, 01:47:52 pm »
Correct.  The "Use By" date on Marmite jars actually refers to the glass jar itself (as glass degrades over the centuries).  The Marmite contents are good for several more decades and should be transferred to a newer, safer, glass jar.

I have empirical evidence to back that up.  When ferreting through the cupboards to find something for a vegan friend to put on toast last year, I found and offered the offending jar, with a warning about the date.  "Well, it's not exactly going to go off, is it?" they said, and ate some.  (I was watching from a concrete bunker some distance away.)

« Reply #26 on: 21 March, 2012, 03:44:40 pm »
Is NZ Marmite the same as GB Marmite? The packaging is different but what about the contents.

I'm a Vegamite fan too!  ;D  :thumbsup:

Nope, it has more sugar in it and they don't like the British version. Interestingly the plant also provides all of Australia's Marmite - presumably not much then!
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #27 on: 21 March, 2012, 04:26:49 pm »
Store your Marmite in a cooler place, then it'll be thicker.  And spread it in bread or luke warm toast rather than hot toast.

I had about three teaspoons of XO in a sandwich for lunch today (to eat with cold beans out of a jar).  It didn't ooze out the sides.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

Marco Stefano

• Apply some pressure, you lose some pressure...
« Reply #28 on: 21 March, 2012, 09:26:23 pm »
Can't beat Marmite or Bovril on a cream cracker - or original Ryvita - thickly spread with a layer of butter straight from the fridge.

Now you're talking.

I think it is usually thinner these days to get it out of the squeezy upside down plastic jars, although our current one is of higher °Brix and is crystallising & crunchy. Still have to get the last bit out from around the neck using one's little finger...  ;)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #29 on: 21 March, 2012, 09:50:04 pm »
Or perhaps Unilever should simply set up a desk at Heathrow and offer a free jar to everyone getting on an NZ bound plane. Great PR.
I once had a B-I-G jar of Marmite (British) that I wanted to take somewhere on a plane. I can't remember now if it was Poland or India but it must have been one of those two. I was worried the jar might get smashed if I left in my luggage so I wanted to take it in my hand baggage, and the security operatives of UKBA (Ural Kunst Bastard Agency) refused to let it through. Apparently they consider it liquid and therefore a potential explosive. Or maybe they meant it makes you fart? Anyway, I ended up leaving it with the check-in girl, who was quite happy about that. But I wasn't.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.