Author Topic: National Fig Roll Shortage  (Read 2185 times)

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
National Fig Roll Shortage
« on: 09 April, 2008, 01:42:56 pm »
Quick! Hoard your figgy delights (that is, if you don't eat them all in one sitting like I do) :-[  -- there's a national shortage of fig rolls!

http://www.nicecupofteaandasitdown.com/news/

Old Charlie Roser would be spinning in his figgy grave...
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
Re: National Fig Roll Shortage
« Reply #1 on: 09 April, 2008, 01:45:45 pm »
OH NO!!! Disaster....

I'll have to revert to choccy biccies instead :(
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

simonali

« Reply #2 on: 09 April, 2008, 01:46:28 pm »
I haven't had a figgy fix in a while. Might have to go t' shops and see if they've got any!

Really Ancien

« Reply #3 on: 09 April, 2008, 01:56:11 pm »
I don't like them half as much since they changed the packaging.

Damon.

Julian

• samoture
« Reply #4 on: 09 April, 2008, 02:02:06 pm »
I haven't had a figgy fix in a while. Might have to go t' shops and see if they've got any!

Panic buying, eh?

;)

urban_biker

• " . . .we all ended up here and like lads in the back of a Nova we sort of egged each other on...."
  • Known in the real world as Dave
« Reply #5 on: 09 April, 2008, 02:03:49 pm »

Panic buying, eh?

;)

I hear queues are forming outside supermarkets. I think we better all stock up before we run out of fuel.
Owner of a languishing Langster

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #6 on: 09 April, 2008, 02:14:21 pm »
Back in August on PBP, I only once stopped at a regular small shop (i.e. not a bakery) for grub. They didn't stock ANYTHING close to our typical flapjack/energy bars type things: the only thing they had that I could carry with me (and had any appeal) was a packet of fig rolls.

Went down a treat, and FAIRLY easy to retrieve from packet in back pocket on the move.

(Mind you, shortly afterwards I got passed by a group of welsh persons wearing matching pink berets, so who knows what is in a French Fig.)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #7 on: 09 April, 2008, 05:41:29 pm »
by chance, i had a lovely figgy flapjack for elevenses today. 

Nuff Respec' to the sandwich bar next to St Pauls for their fresh figgy 'jacks and v. good espresso.

simonali

« Reply #8 on: 10 April, 2008, 12:34:21 am »
I don't like them half as much since they changed the packaging.

Do you remember the ones from, ooh probably the late 70s, that were in a 5 sided box wrapped in cellophane type stuff so you could see them standing on one end inside?

Can't remember the make of them, but they were my fave ones ever. Hate those crunchy Jacobs ones!

alchemy

« Reply #9 on: 11 April, 2008, 10:23:57 am »
I've loved pillow biscuits since I was a kid  O:-) but haven't bought them for yonks because I thought they'd make me fat in the quantities that I'm capable of eating them in  :-[. Imagine my delight when I went in the supermarket the other day and found three new varieties on the shelves  :o

And they're low fat and high GI  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

PS No shortage over here, except in my supermarket after I've been in there  :-[

FatBloke

• I come from a land up over!
« Reply #10 on: 11 April, 2008, 01:27:27 pm »
I've loved pillow biscuits since I was a kid 
There's nothing quite like spending an evening biting your pillow!!   :o
This isn't just a thousand to one shot. This is a professional blood sport. It can happen to you. And it can happen again.

alchemy

« Reply #11 on: 11 April, 2008, 03:28:37 pm »
I've loved pillow biscuits since I was a kid 
There's nothing quite like spending an evening biting your pillow!!   :o

::-)

;D ;D

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #12 on: 02 March, 2009, 10:21:16 am »
I have discovered, to my delight, that as well as doing the cheap cycling clobber Lidl also have their own brand (specially made in Ireland no less) of fig rolls.

Remind me of Sainsbury's fig rolls in terms of size and taste and only three ha'pence45p or thereabouts a pack. Yum.

They're also selling a jolly nice pasteli (which I think of as the thing that inspired sesame snaps) in their Greek foods range.  More to my taste (chewy not crisp) than sesame snaps.
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

RJ

• Droll rat
« Reply #13 on: 03 March, 2009, 05:39:49 pm »
Dateline:  <quote> Tuesday 22 Apr 2008 Reporter: Nicey </quote>

Mind you - I haven't seen many fig rolls recently  :-\