Author Topic: Utilitarian Adventures  (Read 153557 times)

Pancho

• لَا أَعْبُدُ مَا تَعْبُدُونَ
Re: Utilitarian Adventures
« Reply #175 on: 04 May, 2016, 02:20:11 pm »
@Jakob - I'd imagine your roadie was distinctly unchuffed at being dropped like that!

Another 1 miler today - into the village again. I really must do something about this lack of miles! Pleased to see bike racks full and awheel I encountered one Old Lady complete with Ye Olde bike and basket. Going like the absolute clappers down the hill. I worried for her. And, in the other direction, a roadie - struggling.

And me? Well, I was on my folder.  I studiously did not go like the clappers as I really don't trust it not to re-fold spontaneously. Test run ahead of Long Itch. Everything works. But it's v dusty and rusty and creaks alarmingly (but it's always done that). Just need to fathom how to affix luggage to it. I have a trailer but trains with bike+trailer may be a bit hassle prone - despite complying (just) with conditions of carriage.

And, joy of joys, my rat-run prone rural road is closed for six weeks of maintenance. Absolutely essential - it was getting impassable. The ride was motor traffic free and glorious.

« Reply #176 on: 04 May, 2016, 02:35:56 pm »
I'm sure he'd have caught me on the next climb, but he turned off at the bottom; it still amused me though.

Fulfilling stereotypes, the reactions I get from other cyclists to my nod and wave seem to vary; generally those that don't respond are grim-faced roadies. From the occasional darksider I tend to get a full-on grin and thumbs-up (from a sample of two), which is also not uncommon from white van men and lorry drivers. The two cute toddlers help here, mind.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #177 on: 04 May, 2016, 03:35:34 pm »
What really amuses me about that is the idea of "an aero tuck" on a Bakfiets!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #178 on: 04 May, 2016, 03:55:18 pm »
If I put my hands in the centre of the bars and duck down, my head is partly behind the rain canopy; it wouldn't surprise me if this gave lower drag than all but the most suicidal roadie tuck. IIRC a slightly mad friend of the designer got his up to over 70 kmh this way! The brakes are basically decorative on steeper downhills, so that would take more foolhardiness than I've got...

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #179 on: 04 May, 2016, 06:16:29 pm »
What really amuses me about that is the idea of "an aero tuck" on a Bakfiets!

Having witnessed Phil doing one on a Yuba Mundo, I can imagine...

(Silliest bike I've ever done an aero tuck on is a Boris Bike.  Must try harder.)

« Reply #180 on: 04 May, 2016, 06:37:44 pm »
Yebbut you're permanently aero on your main bike, no? Or you could try for the superman position on your brommie   ;D

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #181 on: 04 May, 2016, 09:37:38 pm »
Not pure utility, but took a modified route to work this morning that saw me stood outside Screwfix at 0655 waiting to pick up 2 rolls of carpet protector.
Then in the afternoon I had an unexpectedly early delivery from cable monkey so I had the 2 rolls plus a 100m reel of Cat5e cable to get home. Which was fine apart from my bike fell over while I was trying to load it all up and I snapped one of the brake levers   :(
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #182 on: 04 May, 2016, 10:23:03 pm »
I had to ride up Teesdale to Mickleton to grab some tickets for a gig in a couple of weeks. It was moderately gorgeous.

« Reply #183 on: 07 May, 2016, 07:35:40 pm »
Just the stupormarket for bread and wine.

« Reply #184 on: 07 May, 2016, 10:56:54 pm »
three utility trips totalling 10 miles today.

Into town for the weekly food shop (two Ortlieb panniers and a saddle bag + bottle cages for fruit juice)

To the neighbouring village to donate blood (found I was a week early for my appointment  :-[ )

Back into town for a new kitchen mop and bucket. slide mop handle through spring clasp on the rack and alongside the top tube, toe strap the handle at the front of the top tube. toe strap the handle of the bucket onto the top of the saddle bag.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #185 on: 08 May, 2016, 12:51:17 pm »
My normal 1 mile round trip to church this morning on the singlespeed in a summer shirt and jeans. It's glorious out there 8)
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #186 on: 08 May, 2016, 05:52:42 pm »
Set off from prayers with the Bish at Heighington, home for a quick coffee, out again for regular Church, then home, then out to Blackwell Church for more prayers with the Bish, then popped into my other Fellowship and Bondgate, then home, then back to Bondgate later and then home.
Milk please, no sugar.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #187 on: 08 May, 2016, 06:36:31 pm »
50km of heavily loaded touring to deliver some brake blocks.  That counts, right?   ;)

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #188 on: 08 May, 2016, 08:04:46 pm »
 ;D

Yeahbut, you only left with one bike.  Which was annoying.  ;)
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #189 on: 09 May, 2016, 10:31:41 am »
Went for a haircut on Friday.

Pancho

« Reply #190 on: 09 May, 2016, 10:48:30 am »
1 mile, shops and back. Boring, I'll admit. But nice to be out.

Guy

• Retired
« Reply #191 on: 10 May, 2016, 03:37:42 pm »
Before breakfast on Sunday I thought I'd do the bottle bank run and then go on to the esso garage to get some cash. Approx 1.5 miles and 10-12 minutes altogether. Left home 0605. Got back starving at 0720, after covering 15 miles more than intended. Had I known that bike was going to do this to me I'd have gone into the garage and bought a sandwich.

In my defence I will say it was a beautiful morning. The air was cool and still, the sun hot on my knees, and the only car I saw was on the A6 between the Gravenhurst turn and the Barton roundabout, going the other way.
"The Opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject"  Marcus Aurelius

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
« Reply #192 on: 14 May, 2016, 04:25:50 pm »
5 mile round trip to the LBS for bike wash.  Jeepers its warm out there  8)
2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #193 on: 15 May, 2016, 08:15:33 pm »
50km of heavily loaded touring to deliver some brake blocks.  That counts, right?   ;)

Similarly: 110km of heavily loaded touring to deliver a card.  Again managed not to acquire any extra bikes.

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
« Reply #194 on: 15 May, 2016, 08:45:51 pm »
Again managed not to acquire any extra bikes.
Is this a common problem?  Its not one I have been warned (up to now) to watch out for.

I've returned home onna bike carrying excess rocks (thanks guys), bits of, and on one occasion a friends entire bike and, of course, half a gallon+ of liquid ballast energy drink.
I've returned home on foot (back when Noah was beginning to feel his age) with rocks (thanks again guys), some other buggers entire climbing rack or half a gallon+ of liquid ballast energy drink.

But thus far I have not been mugged by a klingon bike.  Maybe I'm naturally bike-o-phobic. Wish I weren't because I could foster a folder and a 29HT before n pushes in an s direction.
2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #195 on: 15 May, 2016, 09:07:48 pm »
Mostly seems to be a risk at bike shops.  And Basil's house.

Pedaldog.

• Heedlessly impulsive, reckless, rash.
  • The Madcap!
« Reply #196 on: 15 May, 2016, 10:36:59 pm »
I need better legs, a more resilient bum, and stronger wrists.
My wife kicked me in the fork when I said that to her!

We' ve been divorced a fair few years now.
You touch my Coffee and I'll slap you so hard, even Google won't be able to find you!

Guy

• Retired
« Reply #197 on: 16 May, 2016, 09:36:14 am »
I got the folder out for the pub run yesterday, its first outing this year. Three things I had forgotten:

1) How much hard work it is until I find my rhythm
2) How much fun it is once in rhythm
c) How bloody slow it is (1.1 miles in 7 mins 32 secs!)
iv) How twitchy the steering is until I get used to it - I nearly suffered an unexpected dismount when signalling the first turn
"The Opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject"  Marcus Aurelius

ian

« Reply #198 on: 23 May, 2016, 09:32:56 am »
Cycled back from the cinema yesterday (didn't have a lot of choice, trains were borked with mysterious 'emergency engineering' work all day). Did a bit of the new segregated lane over Vauxhall Bridge which is such a vast improvement over how it used to be. I assume they're still doing some work since it disappears with no apparent signage by the Oval (I presume it's supposed to eventually route through the estate where the LCN 3 goes, as it stands you end up facing oncoming traffic on the wrong side of the road). Erm. It was nice while it lasted.

Then CS7. My wife, who doesn't like cycling on the roads, first experience of a 'superhighway', best summed up with the 'what the shit is this?' Yes dear, they just painted a blue stripe down the side of a nasty, busy road and yes, people can park in it.

Pancho

« Reply #199 on: 23 May, 2016, 11:38:34 am »
Ah, us provincials can only dream of such things as cycle superhighways. Even paint on roads would be too much to hope for. No, the preferred strategy for cycle provision round here is to put blue signs on pavements. Even where brand new roads are being built with no space constraints. Even in town centres where pavements are so chokka with peds that, even sans bikes, you get people-jams.

I think I now need to go and look at google images of Cycle Superhighways and dream for a bit.