Author Topic: Utilitarian Adventures  (Read 153582 times)

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
Re: Utilitarian Adventures
« Reply #325 on: 24 July, 2016, 04:45:11 pm »
Norty Basil!
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #326 on: 25 July, 2016, 07:36:32 am »
It was alright. I just carried it under my arm. Quicker than going by car. It was light, cheap and temporary as we're rebuilding bath next month.

Wot?  The whole city?

Ha! New bathroom.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #327 on: 25 July, 2016, 11:17:24 am »
Our pootle on Saturday turned into a visit to the cheese shop after a spectacular p*nc**re fairy visit.

« Reply #328 on: 25 July, 2016, 11:33:37 am »
Well it was on Friday and unfortunately I don't have a photo for the I carried this on my bike...

A short couple of miles round trip to homebase for a lawn mower and strimmer. The strimmer was required to replace the one i borrowed from my sister and then burnt out  :-[.

Bungied two large boxes onto the top of the rack and rode home looking like I belonged in the far east. The weight was sufficiently high and far back to make fitting the bungies difficult as the front wheel lifted.

« Reply #329 on: 29 July, 2016, 10:11:26 pm »
Does cycling to go meet a mate count as utilitarian? In which case I post 30 miles today, and 20 on Weds. If not, they don't count and I will include them in 'social cycling'.

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #330 on: 29 July, 2016, 10:34:29 pm »
Our pootle on Saturday turned into a visit to the cheese shop after a spectacular p*nc**re fairy visit.

And did they have Any Cheese *At All* ?

« Reply #331 on: 01 August, 2016, 04:59:03 pm »
Fifteen miles to collect Mrs hatler's new car. Another Fiat Punto !  The last one has been with us almost 17. years. This one is nine years old. Will it last as long ?

Bike fitted in the back with the seats down and the front wheel removed.
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #332 on: 02 August, 2016, 08:06:01 am »
Yesterday I cycled two miles to Evans in Kingston to buy a new set of chainring bolts. Shop wasn't sure if the only set they had ins tock were the right size and asked me to bring a knackered one in for them to double-check. I said I would do this today.

I cycled the long way 928 miles) back home via the Thames towpath and Richmond Park.

It was spitting but warm.

« Reply #333 on: 02 August, 2016, 08:22:37 am »
Yesterday I cycled two miles to Evans in Kingston to buy a new set of chainring bolts. Shop wasn't sure if the only set they had ins tock were the right size and asked me to bring a knackered one in for them to double-check. I said I would do this today.

I cycled the long way 928 miles) back home via the Thames towpath and Richmond Park.

??? :o

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #334 on: 02 August, 2016, 08:52:43 am »

??? :o

That's fractals for you.  Either that or sticky sHift Keys.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #335 on: 02 August, 2016, 09:44:26 am »
Went for a haircut on Friday.

« Reply #336 on: 02 August, 2016, 10:25:42 am »
28 miles. Not 928 miles.

Pancho

• لَا أَعْبُدُ مَا تَعْبُدُونَ
« Reply #337 on: 03 August, 2016, 08:52:13 pm »
Things are getting dire. 1 mile - village and back. Full load consisted of one (1) bag of frozen peas. Can't even remember when I was last out on the bike. Main reason is that the family are all on holiday and we're busy being out and about, visiting, or receiving visitors. Mrs P back to work in a fortnight, Miss P back to school in a week - so maybe I'll be doing some more riding soon.

« Reply #338 on: 03 August, 2016, 09:59:56 pm »
Went back to Evans with the sample. It ddn't match but the real nice staff looked through their spairs in the mechanics' dept and got me a couple of freebies, which was all I needed. Big up to them. Cycled 28 miles home again?

Pancho

« Reply #339 on: 15 August, 2016, 12:15:36 pm »
To village. Still 1 mile total. Posted socks to Darkest Peru.

Fantastic weather. Must be summer hols as I saw families out on bikes amongst the dozen or so riders I saw en route. Only one other true utilitarian - lady with a Raleigh shopper at the Post Office.

Twiddled allen keys before departure and nipped up handlebar/stem bolts - fixed an annoying click/creak.

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #340 on: 15 August, 2016, 01:11:13 pm »

Do they not have socks in Peru?  Made from lama hair or some such? 

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #341 on: 15 August, 2016, 01:14:06 pm »
It's an exchange of essentials. Pancho sends socks, knitted by his own fair hands out of Good English Sheep's Wool, and receives marmalade, made out of Good Peruvian Oranges by Wowbagger's Aunt Lucy.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #342 on: 15 August, 2016, 01:30:16 pm »
It's an exchange of essentials. Pancho sends socks, knitted by his own fair hands out of Good English Sheep's Wool, and receives marmalade, made out of Good Peruvian Oranges by Wowbagger's Aunt Lucy.

Which brings to mind a problem I always had with Paddington (the bear not the railway station). How did he get a taste for marmalade in Peru?  As far as I am aware marmalade is only found in Britain and possibly countries that used to be part of the British Empire.

Pancho

« Reply #343 on: 15 August, 2016, 01:37:11 pm »

Do they not have socks in Peru?

Not if you leave them out of your trunk before you go! With a bit of luck of they (may) arrive before Christmas. Post tends to either simply disappear, get permanently stuck in some customs depot, or take months to appear.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #344 on: 15 August, 2016, 01:42:13 pm »

Which brings to mind a problem I always had with Paddington (the bear not the railway station). How did he get a taste for marmalade in Peru?  As far as I am aware marmalade is only found in Britain and possibly countries that used to be part of the British Empire.
The habit of making and eating marmalade in Peru was started by Wowbagger's Great Aunt Lucy who emigrated there for reasons which it's still not done to discuss (especially in the hearing of officers of the law, the inland revenue or the clergy) at a date so long ago it is lost in the mists of time.

Or seriously, there was a strong British influence in parts of South America, particularly the "southern cone", which is why they play rugby (and sometimes even cricket) in Argentina and Uruguay and why British made ships and steam locomotives can be found rusting on Lake Titicaca, but whether this ever extended to marmalade in Peru, I doubt.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #345 on: 15 August, 2016, 02:20:58 pm »
 ;D

So Wow and Paddington (the bear not the railway station) are genetically linked. Quite feasible when you think about it.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #346 on: 15 August, 2016, 02:24:09 pm »
 ;D :D ;D :D

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #347 on: 15 August, 2016, 04:44:53 pm »
Down the hill to Carshalton for lunch and a bit of shopping.  Sadly, only one of our party was cycling.  Happily, it was The Little Duck! :D

New skill: freewheeling with feet on the pedals :)

And (with a few small additions of impetus) he rode most of the way back up the hill.  He was so comfortable riding that he was chatting away about the ancient trees in the park, and the other, younger trees along the road.  He was so comfortable that he took his hands off the bars to point to one tree in particular :o :'(

But hey: New skill 2: Riding uphill :D
Getting there...

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #348 on: 15 August, 2016, 05:47:11 pm »
Excellent!  ;D And points out something about perceptions of families/kids/bikes: when you see parents on foot with small kids on bikes, you tend to assume the parents see bikes as kids toys. But that's not always so!  :thumbsup:

Also, I look forward to the day when Nye is old enough to have his own yacf account with which to tell us all about trees ancient and younger. :D

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #349 on: 19 August, 2016, 07:39:43 pm »
Up to the top of Whiteladies Road the back way, to buy kitchen stuff. Then down it to the stupormarket. Later out again for veg. About six (6, yes VI) miles in all!1!1!1