Author Topic: Utilitarian Adventures  (Read 153574 times)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Re: Utilitarian Adventures
« Reply #425 on: 02 November, 2016, 09:30:23 pm »
The pictures are only there to give a false sense of security to logical thinkers. It's actually a DIY ABBA kit. It's a lucky dip: you never know whether you're going to get Agnetha, Benny, Bjorn or Anni-Frid. In fact, this one turned out to be the drummer from Ace of Bass.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #426 on: 02 November, 2016, 09:45:53 pm »
Humbug.

« Reply #427 on: 03 November, 2016, 09:20:34 pm »
The pictures are only there to give a false sense of security to logical thinkers. It's actually a DIY ABBA kit. It's a lucky dip: you never know whether you're going to get Agnetha, Benny, Bjorn or Anni-Frid. In fact, this one turned out to be the drummer from Ace of Bass.

Damn. Still laughing a day later.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #428 on: 07 November, 2016, 05:48:26 pm »
An 18-pack of toilet rolls will just about fit into a Super C pannier. Next time I'll try to remember the bungees.

« Reply #429 on: 08 November, 2016, 08:38:30 am »
An 18-pack of toilet rolls will just about fit into a Super C pannier. Next time I'll try to remember the bungees.

Goodness! I admire your courage in riding whilst inner turmoil rages to that extent.

« Reply #430 on: 10 November, 2016, 09:24:43 pm »
Have felt slower this week on the nursery run - not sure whether it's been because of headwinds, legs, or drag somewhere on the bike - both the Nexus on the back and the dynohub on the front could do with a service, and I vaguely recall Nexus rollerbrakes can get draggy with time, but I really CBA to take a look right now.

Still haven't figured out clothing for this weather; I run hot and the run to nursery is mostly an uphill drag, so I tend to cook a bit - if not on the way, as soon as I get off the bike and have to herd toddlers inside. So far this week I've tried merino baselayer and old Aldi softshell - nice and warm but clammy (and is now a bit big); merino baselayer and merino zip-front sweater - breathes well but not windproof enough; baselayer, sweater, and windproof gilet - bit clammy; and baselayer, sweater, and windproof jacket - OK so long as it's unzipped on the climb.

« Reply #431 on: 11 November, 2016, 08:02:46 pm »
1.5 miles of local NCN leaf clearance today. Note the magical machine that made the shininess happen.

« Reply #432 on: 14 November, 2016, 09:57:14 am »
 ;D Most excellent.

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
« Reply #433 on: 14 November, 2016, 08:59:01 pm »
That is so far beyond effing cool it's popped out the other side into a parallel dimension :thumbsup:
2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #434 on: 14 November, 2016, 09:14:15 pm »
More importantly, what's the bike's cruising speed if you use the thing as a thruster?

Phil W

« Reply #435 on: 14 November, 2016, 09:22:28 pm »
1.5 miles of local NCN leaf clearance today. Note the magical machine that made the shininess happen.

Is that cycle route 24?

« Reply #436 on: 15 November, 2016, 03:07:20 pm »
More importantly, what's the bike's cruising speed if you use the thing as a thruster?

It does roll you along slightly. I don't think I'll be 'leaf-doping' any of my bikes with it yet. The noise would take the fun out of it.

« Reply #437 on: 15 November, 2016, 03:09:19 pm »

Is that cycle route 24?

Superior observational skills 100% correct. Between the bridge at Black Batch and the little slope up to Paglinch Farm.

« Reply #438 on: 15 November, 2016, 05:56:55 pm »
Weird weather today - 10 degrees warmer than the same time last week. On the drop-off nursery run I had a merino T-shirt and a thin wool jumper; I'd probably have been OK without the jumper. Mizzle and a degree or two cooler on the pick-up meant I kept the jumper, but my specs kept fogging so I took them off. I had a waterproof with me but no point in putting it on as I'd just have cooked instead...

Phil W

« Reply #439 on: 17 November, 2016, 10:58:49 am »

Is that cycle route 24?

Superior observational skills 100% correct. Between the bridge at Black Batch and the little slope up to Paglinch Farm.

Not super observation skills.  Last Friday I rode past someone blowing the leaves with just your setup when riding to the Audax UK reunion in Taunton. Saw your post and thought what are the chances?  I had a big red saddlebag on the bike and green bar tape.

« Reply #440 on: 17 November, 2016, 01:38:02 pm »

Is that cycle route 24?

Not super observation skills.  Last Friday I rode past someone blowing the leaves with just your setup when riding to the Audax UK reunion in Taunton. Saw your post and thought what are the chances?  I had a big red saddlebag on the bike and green bar tape.

Brilliant! I did clock you. What are the chances? I remember thinking, 'That chap looks grateful and I understands my mission.' I'm sorry we didn't get to chat. I had very nice biscuits on board. This has also made me decide to wrap my down bars on my tourer (and recently a virgin Audax bike) in green. Green goes with burgundy doesn't it? Course it does!

I hope you enjoyed this section of your ride.

Phil W

« Reply #441 on: 17 November, 2016, 06:10:46 pm »
Very much enjoyed the ride along that section. Later I picked up cycle route 3 which led me down to Wells and Glastonbury before Bridgwater then Taunton finish. I was on a DIY 200 to the dinner. I came back a similar way on the Sunday but picked up the Cycleway to Bath and rode through the tunnels before branching back east and north beyond Swindon and the M4.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #442 on: 20 November, 2016, 01:47:17 pm »
A trip down to church and back this morning in glorious sunshine and still winds. The radio keeps going on about a storm but it's not reached us yet 8) - Was a bit chilly though.

It was the first trip on my hybrid since I messed with the position of of the controls and I think I've finally cracked it. That was the most comfortable it's felt in ages.
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

« Reply #443 on: 23 November, 2016, 08:00:27 pm »
Delivered turkey for host to cook for thanksgiving. Was mighty glad to get that out rucksack!

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #444 on: 23 November, 2016, 08:22:49 pm »
Delivered turkey for host to cook for thanksgiving. Was mighty glad to get that out rucksack!

We celebrate Thanksgiving in Witham, mid-Essex  :o   Who knew?

« Reply #445 on: 24 November, 2016, 05:28:29 am »
With a real American OD!

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #446 on: 24 November, 2016, 08:08:05 am »
How exotic!

« Reply #447 on: 24 November, 2016, 08:48:53 am »
28 miles to braknell and back for a urology appointment . the gps took me up a muddy bridalway on the outward trip which was interesting on road tires . :o ::-) :)
the slower you go the more you see

« Reply #448 on: 26 November, 2016, 09:01:48 pm »
Had a day of sightseeing and errands in that London. Aren't the hire (aka Ken|Boris|Barclays|Santander) bikes chuffing awesome? Spent £2 for the day, did maybe 15-20 miles, and didn't have to be cooped up in metal tubes along with other sickly people to get from A-B!

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #449 on: 02 December, 2016, 09:45:13 pm »
This morning's utilitarian adventure involved a discussion of saddles with a randomly met cyclist at the racks outside the stupormarket. As he no longer has a 25 mile commute he's taken the comfy saddle off his bike and replaced it with an old San Marco Regal, which he doesn't like the feel of at all, because its mottled leather aesthetic suits his bike (or him?) better.