Author Topic: [HAMR] womens record attempt - Kajsa Tylen Jan 1st start  (Read 147909 times)

clarion

• Tyke
Re: womens record attempt - Kajsa Tylen Jan 1st start
« Reply #275 on: 20 January, 2016, 10:49:10 pm »
Thanks for the thread retitling.
Getting there...

« Reply #276 on: 21 January, 2016, 05:59:42 am »
Thanks for the thread retitling.

PLUS ONE  :thumbsup:

Jack_P

• It's just dicking about on bikes
    • Cycling hobo
« Reply #277 on: 21 January, 2016, 08:24:13 pm »

Just spotted on bikeradar story on Bruce (boy that guys getting some publicity) this. So potentially 2 different record holders here too.

As a postscript, the UMCA informed us that American athlete Jacquie Schlitter will mount an attempt on the women’s Year record of 29,603 miles (47,642km) in June 2016. This was set back in 1938 by Britain’s Billie Dovey, dubbed the ‘Rudge-Whitworth Keep-Fit Girl’, who managed a daily average of 81 miles (130km) despite encountering heavy snow in December 1937. They were made of stern stuff back then…

« Reply #278 on: 21 January, 2016, 08:36:42 pm »
Presumably on a recumbent
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #279 on: 21 January, 2016, 09:50:09 pm »
These records sit for decades unchallenged and largely unheard of, then all of a sudden, loads of people on both side of the Atlantic are having a crack at these 1930s records.   

Must be something in the air.

However, as is being shown in the mens record, it is not as easy to do or to satisfy the criteria as it appears on paper...

Don't take that the wrong way...I am gunning for Kajsa....go go go  :thumbsup:

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #280 on: 21 January, 2016, 10:23:40 pm »
These records sit for decades unchallenged and largely unheard of, then all of a sudden, loads of people on both side of the Atlantic are having a crack at these 1930s records.   

Must be something in the air.

However, as is being shown in the mens record, it is not as easy to do or to satisfy the criteria as it appears on paper...

Don't take that the wrong way...I am gunning for Kajsa....go go go  :thumbsup:

I think it's a necessary preliminary for a world war in which 50 million or more die, but POBI is over there somewhere.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #281 on: 22 January, 2016, 07:36:48 am »
No dubt Jacquie S will blitz the mileage Kajsa is doing, but will then (assuming both finish of course) hold a UCMA record whilst Kajsa will hold the Guinness record - and that's fair enough as the two records are run under different rules. And having just watched Kajsa's latest vlog, it's difficult to imagine a more engaging "contestant"  :thumbsup: It was also notable that she was receiving a proper massage from the physio, which seems eminently sensible while the opportunity exists.

Not on the road yet, so a later than recent start. But it'll be a damn sight warmer when she does get going.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #282 on: 22 January, 2016, 08:04:39 am »
To add to the confusion that some seem to have with Kajsa's name, I just made a small contribution to her "fund me" page and the return message was from someone named "Karin Tylen".  :thumbsup:
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #283 on: 22 January, 2016, 08:11:09 am »
Yep, I did too, and that's when I wondered if Kajsa was an affectionate form of Karin, which it may, or may not be  :)  Or maybe the bank software couldn't handle Kajsa.

Jack_P

• It's just dicking about on bikes
    • Cycling hobo
« Reply #284 on: 22 January, 2016, 01:03:38 pm »
with no Steve to follow (boo)
I thought I'd put up a few pictures and thoughts showing Kajsa on Day 1 when I rode with her.

http://wp.me/pO0Yd-Di

(edit: whoops get the full name right boy)

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #285 on: 22 January, 2016, 02:50:05 pm »
I have to say, what with Kurt and Steve now finished, and all the nonsense around Bruce, it's all about Kajsa for now as far as I am concerned. :)

I did imagine a scenario where, if Kurt & Alicia come over to the UK, we can arrange a ride to include Steve and Kajsa.  That would be very cool.
Getting there...

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #286 on: 22 January, 2016, 02:50:58 pm »
I have to say, what with Kurt and Steve now finished, and all the nonsense around Bruce, it's all about Kajsa for now as far as I am concerned. :)

I did imagine a scenario where, if Kurt & Alicia come over to the UK, we can arrange a ride to include Steve and Kajsa.  That would be very cool.

Agreed on both counts.

red marley

« Reply #287 on: 22 January, 2016, 03:07:34 pm »

Indeed. I challenge anyone, who's not seen it already, not to be charmed by her video diary for the 19th January:

https://youtu.be/jlhT0TZUV84

« Reply #288 on: 22 January, 2016, 03:28:38 pm »
Utterly failed that challenge!

« Reply #289 on: 22 January, 2016, 03:42:35 pm »
I'm a total Kajsa Stalker.

:thumbsup:

I kind of like the fact she's not hard core- or rather, she is in a very human understated way.

TimC

« Reply #290 on: 22 January, 2016, 03:52:39 pm »
She is lovely! I really liked the anti-product-placement skit. Then the technical explanation is Swedish. Brilliant! ;D

« Reply #291 on: 23 January, 2016, 07:08:34 am »
No dubt Jacquie S will blitz the mileage Kajsa is doing, but will then (assuming both finish of course) hold a UCMA record whilst Kajsa will hold the Guinness record - and that's fair enough as the two records are run under different rules. And having just watched Kajsa's latest vlog, it's difficult to imagine a more engaging "contestant"  :thumbsup: It was also notable that she was receiving a proper massage from the physio, which seems eminently sensible while the opportunity exists.

Not on the road yet, so a later than recent start. But it'll be a damn sight warmer when she does get going.

It turns out that Kurt's effort has now been recognised by Guinness.

So is it the case that Jacquie Schlitter will attempt the women's record under UMCA rules allowing drafting, recumbents and vehicle transfers etc. and then be credited a Guinness record as well at the end?

Kajsa has to adhere to Guinness rules that are far more restrictive - how is that fair?

« Reply #292 on: 23 January, 2016, 09:52:33 am »

Kajsa has to adhere to Guinness rules that are far more restrictive - how is that fair?

Unless Guinness separate the records in some way (as indoor and outdoor records in athletics are), then it isn't fair IMO.

TimC

« Reply #293 on: 23 January, 2016, 10:00:19 am »
I think the unification of any records system or competition will inevitably disadvantage someone as compromises are made. But I find it hard to believe that any material difference will be made to Kajsa's effort, really. While her Guinness rules say she can't draft, she is regularly riding with other people and no doubt there will be times when that rule is infringed in the letter, if not the spirit. On the other hand, Steve rode under the UMCA rules yet very, very rarely rode with others (PBP excepted). I doubt anyone would contend that Steve therefore in some way had it easier.

I'm sure, if Kajsa feels aggrieved by this development, she can contact Guinness for an alleviation.

« Reply #294 on: 23 January, 2016, 10:19:51 am »
Rules are also often created to prevent extreme behaviours that are unlikely to exist, e.g.

Imagine starting each day with a 20km descent (Bruce could do this if he got a lift to the top of Mount Lofty each morning, he isn't though). Or Steve getting lifts to the top of Yad Moss and descending down to Middleton-In-Teesdale, lather, rinse and repeat for a free load of miles each day. Or Kajsa basing herself in Bedoin and using Mont Ventoux...

Rather than say "Don't take the piss with getting lifts to the tops of big hills over and over again" a rule of "You must start where the previous ride stopped" is formulated, which makes it a logistical nightmare for people who just wanted to move about the country without abusing hills. It also, handily for Guinness, stops people chasing the same tailwind each day.

"No drafting" might have come around from the fear that a rider will sit in the middle of a huge pack of faster riders and save ~40% of energy and nullify all head/cross-winds. It's very unlikely anyone would be able to arrange this day in day out, but it also penalises people who just want to sit behind someone's wheel for a bit when riding with company and taking it in turns to be at the front.

The UMCA have provision to add new rules (which won't apply retrospectively) so if they spot something which isn't in the spirit of the challenge (as they are looking at the rides every few days) they can look to add a rule to prevent it, or at least suggest that it stop. Guinness seem to set their rules out in advance, and if they're not monitoring everything day to day they won't know about something until the end.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #295 on: 23 January, 2016, 10:47:15 am »

I'm sure, if Kajsa feels aggrieved by this development, she can contact Guinness for an alleviation.

I guess it's the recumbent (which I've assumed given the Schlitters make/market them) aspect that would make it less equal in my view. If JS rides on a "conventional" bike then there'd be no argument.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #296 on: 23 January, 2016, 11:27:33 am »
I think the unification of any records system or competition will inevitably disadvantage someone as compromises are made. But I find it hard to believe that any material difference will be made to Kajsa's effort, really.
Agreed.

Plus she will be a record-breaker no matter who comes after her, and her name will be in the history books.

I also wonder why she didnt go with the UCMA. Was this covered way back when I started this thread?!? Was the Fleming record a Guinness record (her Wiki page doesnt mention it)?
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Re: womens record
« Reply #297 on: 23 January, 2016, 11:56:58 am »
I also wonder why she didnt go with the UCMA. Was this covered way back when I started this thread?!? Was the Fleming record a Guinness record (her Wiki page doesnt mention it)?

From earlier in the thread:-

Had a nice long chat with her, she is far from interested in doing long days in the saddle wanting this to be fun rather than a chore. Is looking forward to travelling to new places as part of the journey.
For a start the idea is pre published routes and encouraging people to come along.

It was interesting to hear the reasons behind the choice of Guinness as the body for authentication rather than the UMCA.  In a nutshell its down to the global recognition that Guinness brings to the process, along with the fact that they were nicer to deal with than the UMCA apparently, oh and free!
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #298 on: 23 January, 2016, 12:19:07 pm »
Ta!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

crowriver

• Крис Б
« Reply #299 on: 23 January, 2016, 12:21:27 pm »
While the women's record may not be quite as physically demanding as the men's it is still an incredible challenge to keep riding day in, day out. That she has more time to do the video diary and so on means that following her attempt is very different from following the men's attempts, where news was more sporadic, even for Kurt with Alicia doing the honours.

I agree with others that there's a dimension to Kajsa's attempt which is very engaging for the armchair enthusiasts. She's a charmer with a nous for entertaining an audience. The humour in the daily video updates keeps them engaging and fun.

Go Kajsa!

Embrace your inner Fred.