Author Topic: [HAMR] womens record attempt - Kajsa Tylen Jan 1st start  (Read 150314 times)

Re: womens record attempt - Kajsa Tylen Jan 1st start
« Reply #550 on: 15 April, 2016, 08:20:44 am »
Her latest vlog implies that her leg issue has been resolved by her "holiday" and some physio, so hopefully she'll be back to the 100 mile days before long.  :thumbsup:
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Grandad

• Once upon a time
« Reply #551 on: 15 April, 2016, 11:05:52 am »
Calling Mr Drem........................

I'm sure I'm not the only one who is missing the comparison chart updates, especially since Kajsa has had to reduce her mileage for a while.

Pretty please.....

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #552 on: 15 April, 2016, 05:07:11 pm »
Calling Mr Drem........................

I'm sure I'm not the only one who is missing the comparison chart updates, especially since Kajsa has had to reduce her mileage for a while.

Pretty please.....

You can see this on her live page.
https://www.followmychallenge.com/live/ayearinthesaddle/
Click the 'Details' tab, then scroll down a bit.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #553 on: 15 April, 2016, 07:04:03 pm »
Thanks Basil!

Grandad

• Once upon a time
« Reply #554 on: 15 April, 2016, 10:25:55 pm »
Thanks but the mileage graph isn't nearly as detailed as Mr Drem's daily comparisons.

Basil

• Help me!
« Reply #555 on: 19 April, 2016, 03:51:06 pm »
Longer ride for Kajsa today.  165 km so far and still a few more to do if she's returning to Nottingham.

Gruby Mits

• I am in this only for the cake factor
« Reply #556 on: 22 April, 2016, 11:54:34 am »
...a graph would be oh so nice please  ;D

What? Turn left that way?

Basil

• Help me!
« Reply #557 on: 23 April, 2016, 03:27:13 pm »
Kajsa has been mostly on or just above the 50,000 km line since Jan 1st, but fell below it recently with the shorter days following her 'leg issues'
Looks like today will be close to an imperial century which should pull her back.   :thumbsup:

Grandad

• Once upon a time
« Reply #558 on: 26 April, 2016, 12:47:31 am »
...a graph would be oh so nice please

For a sort of graph see the link in Basil's post of 15th April

Basil

• Help me!
« Reply #559 on: 27 April, 2016, 10:26:54 am »
There appears to be something odd looking about it at the moment.  I'm not sure it's working that well.

Anyway.  By my rough calculations, Kajsa passed 10,000 miles yesterday.  :thumbsup:

« Reply #560 on: 27 April, 2016, 02:21:45 pm »
Anyway.  By my rough calculations, Kajsa passed 10,000 miles yesterday.  :thumbsup:
There was a FB post this morning to this effect  :thumbsup:
Eddington Number 75

« Reply #561 on: 27 April, 2016, 05:02:13 pm »
The facebook post was from her mum and she was a bit early. Kajsa got to 10,000 miles at around 11am-ish this morning.
I rode with her last Saturday and have kept an eye on her rides on Strava. It does look like her legs are making a recovery and she is going better than a few weeks ago. I definitely saw an improvement on Saturday.

« Reply #562 on: 03 May, 2016, 12:12:08 am »
I've just updated https://goo.gl/lYClYG bringing it back up to date.

Will try harder to keep it that way.

Sorry for not keeping it up to date, had a new addition to the family, who's been waking me up. Feel free to poke me here/twitter (@MrDrem)/lfgss (also @MrDrem) if I fail again. - LFGSS or Twitter being the most likely places to get a response :)

Is there any news on other challengers for this at the moment?

Gruby Mits

• I am in this only for the cake factor
« Reply #563 on: 03 May, 2016, 11:21:39 am »
Thanks MrDrem!
Good to see it represented in figures and graphs to get the head around the accomplishment.

All we need now is a compilation of best Vlogs from Kajsa and her Minions, or will that be out for xmas?  ;D
What? Turn left that way?

« Reply #564 on: 03 May, 2016, 01:23:00 pm »
Is there any news on other challengers for this at the moment?

From the Amanda Coker thread:

Her Gofundme page says she would be starting this month. But it's only raised $800 so maybe money is an issue.

She's just getting some personal things taken care off before she starts. Shouldn't be long now.

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #565 on: 17 May, 2016, 07:39:10 am »
I see that Kajsa will be in the Netherlands for a few days but her website doesn't say where (except for Delft for two days). I have a few days off work and thought about driving to NL to ride with her but not sure how to go about organising it. Can anyone give me a clue?
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

« Reply #566 on: 17 May, 2016, 08:00:14 am »
Message her directly through Facebook.  She, or a minion will get back to you. Hope you get to ride with her.

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #567 on: 17 May, 2016, 09:00:22 am »
Thanks, I have done so.

I don't have to work until Friday but I don't think that will fit with her timings, although Saturday is a possibility. We shall see. I will have to do a car-assisted ride but it would be worth it for the experience!
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #568 on: 17 May, 2016, 09:13:17 pm »
We are in contact! I may try and ride with her on Saturday from Delft to Amsterdam and then get the train back.

Friday would have been better as she's doing loops from Delft but unfortunately I have to work.

It's a 2.5 hour drive each way to Delft but it would be fun to ride with her and I guess she'll have fewer cycling partners this side of the channel so might appreciate the company.

« Reply #569 on: 17 May, 2016, 09:32:02 pm »
Send her my very best wishes and have a great ride.

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #570 on: 21 May, 2016, 10:03:53 pm »
I rode with Kajsa today.

I drove for 3 hours to Dedgum in the middle of nowhere in Friesland which was the campsite where she would stay tonight. I then hoicked the trike out of the car and set off on the route she sent me towards Amsterdam.

This included crossing the 30km long Afsluitsdijk which creates the IJsselmeer and was very impressive. I had a strong headwind across and zillions of insects too. I took it easy on the outward journey not using my electric motor as I thought I might need it for the return trip with Kajsa.

I used the tracker to check where she was which gave me enough time for some lunch, then I headed off further in her direction, eventually spotting her about 5 kilometres from Den Oever.

We rode together, this time me using my E-Assist (level 6 out of 9 gave me roughly the right speed). We had a brilliant tailwind so did the Afsluitsdijk in the other direction WAY faster. We had a good chat along the way of course.

We did a slight extra bit at the end to get Kajsa her first ever 200km day.

She and her Mum gave me a cup of tea and a slice of the apple cake they raved about on the video yesterday, then I drove home again (another 3 hours).

It was well worth the trip - not just to ride with Kajsa but also to explore some of the lovely Friesland scenery and of course that amazing dike!

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #571 on: 21 May, 2016, 10:54:49 pm »
Yay!
Getting there...

Justin(e)

• On my way out of here
« Reply #572 on: 22 May, 2016, 05:10:45 am »
Well done Aunty Helen.

Did you discuss the new challenger Amanda?  I would be interested to hear what Kajsa's opinions are.  On the one hand, Kajsa has the runs on the board - but Amanda is coming at a huge rate of knots (albeit, there is a need to extrapolate from a small sample size.)

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #573 on: 22 May, 2016, 07:00:20 am »
Yes we did discuss her a bit. She's such a different challenger that it's hard to know how it will pan out. We talked about the mental challenge of riding every day for a year, and wondered if doing laps would do your head in!

« Reply #574 on: 27 May, 2016, 09:32:22 am »
Kajsa has put a plea out on facebook that will appeal to many of the true hearts of audaxers here.

Your stomachs.

She's asked if anyone who can offer her a free meal next year
<i>Marmite slave</i>