Author Topic: garmin 800 ,map options before/after purchase?  (Read 9517 times)

Re: garmin 800 ,map options before/after purchase?
« Reply #25 on: 24 May, 2012, 09:47:16 am »
Does the white screen of death affect edge 705 models as well? Or just the 800. I only ask as ive just bought the 705.
No, but it still has an issue...

My 705 (firmware 3.3) crashes sometimes when following a course (TCX). The 705's recovery mode is more benign, though. You just switch the unit back on and press start again. The course is still present and the history track continues to record properly, although the current lap you are on will have a funny average speed (correctable afterwards with an XML editor). The crashes appear random. Recently, I had two on Yr Elenydd 300 (93km & 245km), two on Brevet Cymru 400 (250km & 350km) and none on Bryan Chapman 600 (although I'd split the TCX into two 300km sections because of cross-overs and reset the Garmin at halfway). 200kms and shorter I hardly ever see a crash.

It did the same on earlier firmware. I used 2.7 for a long time and the recovery mode was worse. You could still switch the unit back on and continue following the course, but the history file was often corrupted.

A funny thing. My mate did his first 300 and 400 with me on Yr Elenydd and BC. He has a 705 that he hardly ever uses and it has ancient firmware 2.3. I loaded my course file on his unit as well and his 705 never crashed once!

Re: garmin 800 ,map options before/after purchase?
« Reply #26 on: 24 May, 2012, 10:53:21 am »
My 705 can manage 600km without issues. It occasionally crashes (or is it just turn itself off?) which just requires a simple power on and press start to continue.
It is this 400k issue that stops me getting an 800 as I really like to keep my ride data in one piece and don't want to have to save and have everything go back to zero during the ride.