Author Topic: PBP2015 - Notes to Self for 2019  (Read 32819 times)

Re: PBP2015 - Notes to Self for 2019
« Reply #175 on: 03 October, 2018, 12:29:53 pm »
Don't have the gear cable snap inside your DC lever as you cross the bridge after leaving velodrome. Leaving you spinning in the granny ring as the pelotons stream away.  For 19 I have bar end shifters which are fixable on the road and simpler to start with.

I already went that way for 2015. In 1995 I had Suntour Command shifters, no issues. In 2015 Bar ends, no issues. Between 1999 and 2011 Ergopowers. At least on 2 occasions they needed a service lasting about 15 minutes. In '97 LEL even a major breakdown costing several hours.
I stick to Bar ends now. I might change thouch if SunXCD or someone else starts to produce 10 or 11 speed Command shifters though.

:thumbsup:

I had to get my rear gear cable replaced at controls on PBP 2015 AND on LEL 2017  :facepalm: , using Shimano STi 10speed (PBP) and 11speed (LEL). On both occassions, cables lasted about 7000km. New bike does have 11spd bar-end shifters, and the remaining 11spd STi will be swapped to it pronto (all the parts already stocked)

Indeed, at least 3 replacements during various events, 1997 LEL, gearlever snapped, detour to a bikshop (costing a lot more as 30 minutes) and more recently 2007 PBP gearcable replacement & replacement by downtubshifter since the whole lot was so mucky that shifting was too hard for my shoulder. 2011 Gearcable replacement at Villaines la Juhel. A gearcable replacement with downtube shifters takes 5 minutes at the max, a lot less as with Ergopower/STI.

Moved to bar end leavers on my candidate PBP bike already. My cables didn't snap last time but drove me nuts as the 5600 series triple STIs were awful and always out of sync.... I also spent a lot of time riding in 2017 with someone whose cables did snap all the time and it drove me mental by proxy. Possibly one of the real best reasons to ride fixed ;-)

Ben T

« Reply #176 on: 03 October, 2018, 06:19:34 pm »
Are downtube shifter cables more immune from fraying/snapping than STIs then? Why?

U.N.Dulates

• aka John Hamilton
« Reply #177 on: 03 October, 2018, 06:30:28 pm »
Shimano STI shifters are known for eating cables since they moved from the original 'washing-line' to the cables under the bar tape due to the tight bend the cable has to negotiate.

whosatthewheel

« Reply #178 on: 03 October, 2018, 06:38:43 pm »
Shimano STI shifters are known for eating cables since they moved from the original 'washing-line' to the cables under the bar tape due to the tight bend the cable has to negotiate.

Not sure that is the reason. I can recall the 5600 series (drying line type) was already prone and in fact I had one cable shredded at the time... funny enough I have had 5700 (under bar tape cable) for 3 years now and have not had any problem of sort.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #179 on: 03 October, 2018, 06:48:26 pm »
Are downtube shifter cables more immune from fraying/snapping than STIs then? Why?
"more immune"? You mean like "More unique"?? :P

Anyway:
Yes [but don't bother asking me for statistical evidence]. And
don't know, but if pushed, i'd say being much simpler devices means less places for damage/stress to occur.
Oh, and you are perhaps more likely to see a damaged cable before it breaks?

(Disclaimer: I don't believe I've ever broken a gear cable in either type of device.)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #180 on: 03 October, 2018, 09:05:49 pm »
"more immune"? You mean like "More unique"?? :P

Anyway:
Yes [but don't bother asking me for statistical evidence]. And
don't know, but if pushed, i'd say being much simpler devices means less places for damage/stress to occur.
Oh, and you are perhaps more likely to see a damaged cable before it breaks?

(Disclaimer: I don't believe I've ever broken a gear cable in either type of device.)

And if it breaks, a lot easier to repair. During my 600 I did break the cable on my bar end shifters. I repaired it at abt 4 am in a tiny French town by the roadside in about 5 minutes. It probably took me longer to assemble tools and spare cable as to replace it.

« Reply #181 on: 04 October, 2018, 10:51:26 pm »
Indeed! I've even gone full retro grouch for winter bike and have gone back to caliper brakes and non-tubeless wheels and hub dynamo... I am sure tubeless are wonderful but it seems to be the worst of both worlds to have tubeless rims with non tubeless tyres as getting them to seat properly and evenly is a real phaff even at home, rested, at 2pm with a cup of tea... The carbon bike still has discs mind, too much fun, but for Audax I'll take the traditional and doable at 3am in rain options and a dynamo which means I don't fret about battery juice, and can even make my own if needed.