Author Topic: Frame badges are out  (Read 8566 times)

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
Re: Frame badges are out
« Reply #50 on: 02 August, 2019, 03:57:35 pm »
hm... annoyingly that probably means starting in sunglasses qwhich will necessetate a stop to swap once the glare drops to comfortable levels.

« Reply #51 on: 02 August, 2019, 07:01:29 pm »
hm... annoyingly that probably means starting in sunglasses qwhich will necessetate a stop to swap once the glare drops to comfortable levels.
Once the sun is low enough for that, think you'll be in shadow for most of the 20km ride through the forest to Conde-s-V and then going south west with the sun north of west.

« Reply #52 on: 09 August, 2019, 11:15:55 am »
As I understand it, at registration we'll be given a dossard plate with the 'chip' embedded, which has to be mounted vertically, and an additional number plate for attaching to display to the front. What size are these two plastic items and have they got holes for zipties already stamped through?

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #53 on: 09 August, 2019, 12:35:25 pm »
As I understand it, at registration we'll be given a dossard plate with the 'chip' embedded, which has to be mounted vertically, and an additional number plate for attaching to display to the front. What size are these two plastic items and have they got holes for zipties already stamped through?

Previously yes. And you get the cable ties. You should have a stash of spare cable ties anyway, but chucking a couple of extras in if you are worried about these things will do no harm.

It isn’t the organiser’s first rodeo; despite appearances, they are pretty clued up on that side of things.

Interesting the chip is on the frame dossard. Been an ankle/shoe chip the last two times and you cross the mat as you go to get your card stamped.
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

simonp

« Reply #54 on: 09 August, 2019, 12:54:12 pm »
The use of a chip came in in 2011 IIRC - certainly improved the reliability of the online tracking. It's still essential to get your card stamped.

Phil W

« Reply #55 on: 09 August, 2019, 01:39:34 pm »
Interesting the chip is on the frame dossard. Been an ankle/shoe chip the last two times and you cross the mat as you go to get your card stamped.

The ankle dobbie affected my Achilles last time and I did feed this back to them.  Be good if there's no need to wear anything on ankle.

« Reply #56 on: 09 August, 2019, 01:48:42 pm »
If the "chips" are the wafer thin clear ones with an embedded metal strip carbon fibre can affect their ability to be picked up by the antenna, we have them in our race club and they have to be stood off a CF surface by at least 5mm, we use self adhesive foam strips. It doesn't matter if the CF is painted or clear gel coated that distance is required.

« Reply #57 on: 09 August, 2019, 01:50:53 pm »
So are people allowed to fit them onto handlebar bags or do they get put onto the cables below the bag/above the light?

« Reply #58 on: 09 August, 2019, 01:59:56 pm »
So are people allowed to fit them onto handlebar bags or do they get put onto the cables below the bag/above the light?

You get a seperate number plate to attach to the front of your bike or helmet. That's for identifying you on photos by Maindru, who will have them for sale at the finish. The usual place for the frame-plate is just behind the head tube, attached to the top tube. That means that someone talking to you can see your name and nationality. I don't know if orientation affects the signal strength for the tracking.

US riders tended to have a name plate attached to the rear of their bike. There was a YACF version of that last time, but I've seen no reference to that this time.