Author Topic: Zen-like calmness FAIL  (Read 2304 times)

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
Zen-like calmness FAIL
« on: 14 May, 2008, 12:18:31 am »
So, an hour or so after being horsewhipped (see "A new kind of trouble"), we were proceeding north from the edge of Hastings/St Leonards towards Crowhurst. It was a  narrow(ish) residential road. The southbound track (heading towards us) was a stationary line of motors, getting impatient in the sun. We (a band of 8 tandems and one solo) soon spread out, as the hill did its thing.  The narrowness of the road limited overtaking opportunities by the following drivers.  One couldn't contain his impatience and decided that the bit of road by a pedestrian refuge was just the place, so he squeezed uncomfortably close.  Mrs Hall fired the "F" gun and clouted the wing mirror, folding it against the window.  He turned off.

A few minutes later a different muppet, in a Honda something, swerved in towards us as he overtook, gunning the engine.

More intemperate language from Mrs. Hall, and I decided (possibly foolishly) to give chase.  A couple of hundred yards later we caught him, as he was stuck, trying to turn right. A quick assessment showed that going on his right, with the chance of either talking to him, or more likely, getting clobbered as he turned right, would be a Bad Idea, so we just cut past on the left.

Mrs. Hall got all Charlotte on his wing mirror. There was a screech of tyres and chummy came whizzing past us, slamming to a halt. He leapt out of his car, furious.  He demanded Mrs. Hall's name and address. As a pick up technique it wasn't that great. 

He shouted. She shouted. I told him our address several times, offering to write it down.  He got back in his motor, and tried to drive off. Luckily he noticed his wife was half out of the car before he moved off.

So, lessons learnt:

It's hard to keep ones cool all the time.
Losing it like that didn't do the world of cyclists any good - he still thinks all cyclists are twats, I didn't get a chance to explain that passing that close is a seriously bad idea.

Never mind - at lunch we saw the Mad Jack Morris side, complete with Mad Jack Fuller's tomb on their badge.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Re: Zen-like calmness FAIL
« Reply #1 on: 14 May, 2008, 01:12:44 am »

Losing it like that didn't do the world of cyclists any good - he still thinks all cyclists are twats ...

So? The only interaction you could have had with him that would have improved the world of cyclists in any meaningful way would have been to have shot him and burned the body.

The old Legion hand told the recruit, "When things are bad, bleu, try not to make them worse, because it is very likely that they are bad enough already." -- Robert Ruark

rower40

• Not my boat. Now sold.
« Reply #2 on: 14 May, 2008, 10:14:09 am »
Aha! We have the solution to the query posed in
http://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=1400.0

Why is a trolley jack a cycling accessory?  So that, when Mr Irate is stuck in traffic, you can lift his driving wheels off the road, and place bricks under his axles.  Then his car is no longer a danger to cyclists.  As long as they stay out of the door zone.
Be Naughty; save Santa a trip

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #3 on: 14 May, 2008, 10:35:45 am »
Riding while angry is seldom a good thing.  I lost it this morning after a twuntfest (RLJs, a game of chicken with a bus, the Snogging Couple In The Way and the Startled Smartie who was so surprised to see a bike that she stopped, in a yellow-hatched box, directly in front of me.  Bless.  The upshot of all that anger was that I stomped my pedal, slipped, and have a huge bloody gouge down my calf now.

Karma's a bitch on its short-cycle payback mode.

Still, there's nothing wrong with making drivers *fear* cyclists.  I'd rather be feared than jeered.  We could learn a lot about using intimidation to get road-space from motorcycle riders, IMO.
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

« Reply #4 on: 14 May, 2008, 11:36:41 am »

Still, there's nothing wrong with making drivers *fear* cyclists.  I'd rather be feared than jeered.  We could learn a lot about using intimidation to get road-space from motorcycle riders, IMO.

Yup. What I try to practice. Interestingly I don't get that much aggro from other road users, compared with what is reported  by some people here.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #5 on: 14 May, 2008, 12:23:48 pm »
As I posted on t'other thread (and deeply ironic given that today is an Angry Day for me, gnar! gnar!), a great deal of mental ease can by being more tolerant of the rest of the world.  You may find (as I usually do) that what other people call incidents we call wildlife.
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

« Reply #6 on: 14 May, 2008, 01:21:43 pm »
You may find (as I usually do) that what other people call incidents we call wildlife.

Yes. There is that.