Author Topic: C2C Whitehaven - Sunderland  (Read 1283 times)

C2C Whitehaven - Sunderland
« on: 19 November, 2023, 02:58:01 pm »
I am considering doing this next year using a road/touring bike, but has anyone else done this ride in the last year or two and have any recommendations?

Re: C2C Whitehaven - Sunderland
« Reply #1 on: 19 November, 2023, 04:21:52 pm »
I would not recommend the offroad section Rookhope to Parkhead on a road or touring bike, especially with luggage, unless you are prepared to walk part of it.
The climb from Rookhope is a steep rocky disused railway incline. I can ride it on a hardtail MTB. (It's fun coming down!)
The flat bit of disused railway at the top is lovely, but best to leave the route at Deadfriars Quarry and join the adjacent road as the next section is mix of muddy single track and a raised section that goes bumpettybump, bumpettybump, where the sleepers were. Rejoin the route at Parkhead.
The whole Rookhope-Parkhead section is a permissive route and can be shut without notice in the shooting season. (They don't shoot on Sundays).
The alternative route from Rookhope via the higher road to Stanhope and up Crawley Bank to Parkhead is fine, and gives more options for refreshments.
The road section from Alston to Rookhope is sometimes called the Roof of England and stunning.
The other road users around here are mostly considerate - best on weekdays....

I've never used the off road bit from Eden Valley to the top of Hartside - it looks difficult.
Again the road over Hartside is easier, but drivers not so good. Avoid weekends (motorbikes and sports cars).

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #2 on: 19 November, 2023, 04:31:42 pm »
I would not recommend the offroad section Rookhope to Parkhead on a road or touring bike, especially with luggage, unless you are prepared to walk part of it.
The climb from Rookhope is a steep rocky disused railway incline. I can ride it on a hardtail MTB. (It's fun coming down!)
The flat bit of disused railway at the top is lovely, but best to leave the route at Deadfriars Quarry and join the adjacent road as the next section is mix of muddy single track and a raised section that goes bumpettybump, bumpettybump, where the sleepers were. Rejoin the route at Parkhead.
The whole Rookhope-Parkhead section is a permissive route and can be shut without notice in the shooting season. (They don't shoot on Sundays).
The alternative route from Rookhope via the higher road to Stanhope and up Crawley Bank to Parkhead is fine, and gives more options for refreshments.
The road section from Alston to Rookhope is sometimes called the Roof of England and stunning.
The other road users around here are mostly considerate - best on weekdays....

I've never used the off road bit from Eden Valley to the top of Hartside - it looks difficult.
Again the road over Hartside is easier, but drivers not so good. Avoid weekends (motorbikes and sports cars).

I'd second avoiding the tortuous official route up to Hartside, it is difficult - just ride up the main road from Melbermy (there's a great bakery there to fortify you for the climb)

« Reply #3 on: 19 November, 2023, 05:11:39 pm »
The Melmerby bakery is indeed a great place.  I have done the climb up over hartside by the difficult route 3 times with luggage and enjoyed every one.  Tough but very rewarding imo.

« Reply #4 on: 22 November, 2023, 09:40:08 pm »
Aye you'll be fine - the h'official route goes up Hartside the tough way from Renwick, but as everyone else says, you can use the main road and call in the bakery.

I'd also say it's a good idea to skip the detour via Garrigill (even though it has the finest air in England according to Wainwright) as there's nothing there, just follow the A-road down to Alston which is stuffed with places to eat.

The eastern bits are all doable on a loaded road bike, it's mostly tarmac nowadays.

« Reply #5 on: 23 November, 2023, 09:53:48 am »
skip the detour via Garrigill
And it's a s_d of a climb back out of Garrigill, even the road version.
I've only attempted the off road section from Garrigill to the B6277 once......

The on road section from the B6277 to Nenthead is very steep. I've fallen off at least twice going uphill (ice under back wheel > twiddle, twiddle, bang). Even steeper going down. But it is a lovely scenic road.
The off-road version is a much easier tarmac climb to Priorsdale, and the long off-road downhill should be fine on a gravel bike or strong tourer. Again, lovely remote moorland.
Both nice routes, so decide on the day

I have done the climb up over hartside by the difficult route 3 times with luggage and enjoyed every one.  Tough but very rewarding imo.
I've never tried this route - did you need to do much walking?

« Reply #6 on: 14 December, 2023, 04:06:30 pm »
If I was on a road bike, I'd just go Alston > Stanhope, then up Crawleyside. Skip the Waskerley Way track (although its beautiful) and take the road, then rejoin the track near Rowley.

Am I the only one to prefer the climb up from Renwick. It's been a long time, but it was always quieter.