Author Topic: Nexus 7: boot loops, rooting, operating systems...  (Read 914 times)

Nexus 7: boot loops, rooting, operating systems...
« on: 17 August, 2018, 02:08:00 pm »
I have a 2013 model Nexus 7 which mostly gets used when I'm on tour.

I rooted it and installed cyanogenmod when I first got it as I often use it with an On The Go adapter so I can transfer files to/from things like my Garmin and my camera. It's always been a bit temperamental, falling over after upgrades etc, but nowadays its super unreliable and often gets stuck in a boot loop or throwing a wobbly a few seconds after booting with some process or other crashing and needing a restart. Currently Google Play Store has stopped, Trebuchet's another favourite.

I can't rely on it, so time to start again from scratch I think.

If I do a full-on factory reset, what does the panel suggest as what to do next regarding rooting etc? What software are people using and what operating systems do you recommend (and why)?

Thanks.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: Nexus 7: boot loops, rooting, operating systems...
« Reply #1 on: 17 August, 2018, 03:22:55 pm »
The lightest leanest OS you can find, with as little Google as you can get away with.  My old Nexus 7 is unusably slow for anything much more demanding than ebook reading and a bit of email.

Re: Nexus 7: boot loops, rooting, operating systems...
« Reply #2 on: 17 August, 2018, 06:32:07 pm »
I got proper stuck in bootloop catastrophe, but managed to revert back to the original back-up of the shipped OS from right at the beginning. 2014 Android is currently catching up with itself.

Amidst all the updates I've already caught a glimpse of how much bloat is on there! Ye Gods! I was thinking of maybe just leaving it, but not sure I can tolerate all that crap!