Author Topic: Help! Building back up to 200km  (Read 2107 times)

menthel

• Jim is my real, actual name
Help! Building back up to 200km
« on: 26 February, 2017, 02:35:50 pm »
After my accident in 2015 and then getting a new job where I can no longer cycle commute, I have become fatter and more slovenly than before. Having failed at 200km (Ditchling Devil) last summer I now want to build myself back up and try to do Ditchling and Old Roads and Drove Roads (which I wimped out of last year). Is it best just to get the miles in or is there another, better way to build up for the time starved cyclist? Also, what events in the London area would be good for build up?

Sorry for the smallness of my challenge- I had planned to mark my 40th year with LEL but my accident put pay to it...

Re: Help! Building back up to 200km
« Reply #1 on: 26 February, 2017, 03:08:31 pm »
This is what I did.

In April 2016 I got back on my bike after a long period of no exercise and decided to do the LDD in June.

Looking back over my Strava training log it looks like this

It was effectively rides of increasing length with a local cycling club, walking at lunchtime, a bit of commuting and following the Couch to 5K plan.

LDD was tough and I was flagging at the end of it and ended up over-eating gels (terrible indigestion) in the hopes that they would propel me to the end.

Since then I haven't set the world ablaze with randoneurring prowess but I've managed to keep RRTY going since August and didn't die on the Greenwich Mean Climb (although I did spend a few hours feeling sorry for myself) with commuting, weekly club runs and audaxes.

menthel

« Reply #2 on: 26 February, 2017, 04:05:01 pm »
Thanks Jamie, I guess it's just a matter of fitting the rides it. I think I can probably manage an hour or so on a Friday before work and then one longer one most weekends. I think I am really suffering because of my lack of cycle commute now. The level of base fitness that gave me was awesome.

« Reply #3 on: 26 February, 2017, 07:31:10 pm »
You might find there are options for commuting available to you hadn't thought of. Can you take the bike in the car on day 1, ride home on the bike, ride back in on day 2, then take the car back home at the end of day two for example? that way you are halving the distance. If the distance is too great then it might be possible to travel part way by train and then a manageable distance by bike as another example.

I am fortunate to be able to commute to my place of work by bike (7 miles) that I can vary if I want longer. It means that by using time I would have been travelling by car then when I get home I have done my miles for the day so don't need to venture back out. I appreciate that everyone's work / domestic situations are different.

In terms of training then it is about setting realistic targets. I would have thought you should be able to get around a 200km if you have done a 150km so this would be my target distance for a weekend ride two weeks before the event I wanted to enter, then just work backwards from that date to the present working from your current distance for your weekend ride. Two 25km-50km rides in the week if possible should top you up.
https://creweandnantwichaudax.wordpress.com/ - See the Audax events I currently organise

www.milehousebarn.co.uk - Cycle Friendly B&B in Nantwich, Chehsire

Mr Green

• LEL, SR, RRtY, 24TT
« Reply #4 on: 26 February, 2017, 07:32:24 pm »
Commute, commute, commute.
This is where most of my miles get done, I rely on it to maintain my fitness - but you know that already.

Good luck, and I hope you manage that next 200km!
What a lot of effort just for a cloth badge.

menthel

« Reply #5 on: 26 February, 2017, 09:08:56 pm »
I will have to do the slow build up. I looked into all the options for commuting but it just didn't work- I am only in the office on Monday and Thursday and the train options are just impractical. Its sad as I loved my commute...

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #6 on: 26 February, 2017, 09:28:14 pm »
I must admit I did no building up to speak of after I was initially diagnosed with MS.

I'd lost the sight of one eye and didn't feel confident on the road for a while.

I did the Mildenhall 300km 18 months after my last 200, having done nothing of any length in the interim...

« Reply #7 on: 26 February, 2017, 10:21:16 pm »
I've used Zwift post hernia then again exclusively post rta. I've been diagnosed with traumatic stress reaction, and although it seems pretty specific to riding in heavy traffic (ie I am fine off road and was fine on a quiet 200), I can't face commuting in to Leeds. Instead I've combined Today's Plan wth Zwift. I've just slowly built my training up, and in that I enjoy zwift (did a 100km tempo ride on just over 3 hours this morning on there), it's not been a chore. Recovery has been slow, and 5 months in, I'm starting to feel like I'm strong (after a rest week). I splurged on a Neo because I use the turbo in the house and it's quiet enough not to wake people (started at 5.30 this morning). If that's no concern, the cheap Tacx are just as good really - I did the hernia recovery on a tacx vortex.

menthel

« Reply #8 on: 27 February, 2017, 10:57:25 am »
I will just keep plugging away- nowhere for a turbo at home at present (although our current push to move may fix that!). Would trying some spin classes help?

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #9 on: 27 February, 2017, 03:28:53 pm »
My mileage has dropped to stupidly low levels.

I work from home so I may force myself into a virtual commute once it gets a bit nicer out there.    I have a lovely 15 mile loop I could use in the morning and/or evening.

It's overcoming the inertia though.  Getting out on your bike is habit-forming in the same way that not getting out on your bike is.  I just need to break the spell.

Currently I do 2 sessions of Wattbike a week plus a social 30 miles on Thursday evenings.  That keeps me fit, but not "long distance fit".
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

« Reply #10 on: 27 February, 2017, 06:27:04 pm »
I will just keep plugging away- nowhere for a turbo at home at present (although our current push to move may fix that!). Would trying some spin classes help?

Definitely endorse spinning as it will help get your general fitness back while also using the muscles you will be using on an audax. I don't bother too much with all the stand-up sit-down stuff at the frequency they do it as it does not replicate what I would do.  But well worth it IMO.

menthel

« Reply #11 on: 02 March, 2017, 12:17:44 pm »
I will look to fit in some spin classes, however much I hate the idea!

« Reply #12 on: 02 March, 2017, 12:54:39 pm »
As the evenings gets lighter, consider going for 10 miles round the block rides at a faster and faster pace every evening.