Author Topic: Ad-blockers as browser extensions - secure?  (Read 1142 times)

Ad-blockers as browser extensions - secure?
« on: 26 May, 2018, 01:40:28 pm »
Firefox has quite a few third-party ad-blockers available as extensions, but are they secure?  They do require extensive access, such as:
Access your data for all websites
Store unlimited amounts of client-side data
Access all browser activity

Just thinking re. internet banking etc etc...
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

Afasoas

Re: Ad-blockers as browser extensions - secure?
« Reply #1 on: 27 May, 2018, 12:04:02 pm »
Use a pi-hole on your network for DNS

I'm not sure which blockers to trust currently as increasingly they do their own tracking and some even have a financial relationship with some advertisers as to allow their advertising through.
I think ublock origin might still be a good contender.

Phil W

« Reply #2 on: 27 May, 2018, 12:08:27 pm »
Have a look at Privacy badger by the  Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF). Not an ad blocker but it detects trackers and blocks them and since most advertising relies on tracking you across sites.... It is self learning so easy to use.  I also have FuxFox containers which is by the Firefox team themselves.  Ensures complete seperation of websites open in different tabs, so you can keep Banking in its own container.  Not on PC at mo otherwise I would post links to the plug ins.

« Reply #3 on: 27 May, 2018, 06:56:36 pm »
Thanks now trying badger and Adblock+  together.
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

« Reply #4 on: 31 May, 2018, 02:28:57 pm »
I also use the Simply Reader Chrome plugin.

It's not an ad-blocker as such, but gives a button that strips out everything except the article text when you click it, regardless of whether it's a 3rd party advert or a fancy link to another part of the same site.

« Reply #5 on: 31 May, 2018, 06:05:02 pm »
On a Mac with Safari, I use uBlock for ad-blocking and Ghostery for defeating trackers, and both appear to have sensible privacy practices (and Windows versions). I also sometimes use https://unv.is for Mail On-'ugh' links that appear interesting.