Author Topic: What cycling cap?  (Read 23569 times)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: What cycling cap?
« Reply #25 on: 28 June, 2012, 08:38:13 pm »
I've killed a couple of traditional cycling caps now, both by breaking the rigid plastic bit that supports the peak while carelessly stuffing it in a jersey pocket or rack bag.  So I've got a new one from Walz, which arrived this morning.

Initial impressions:
  • This one is a lightweight moisture-wicking polyester rather than cotton.  I reckon it's a better material for the job, at least in warm weather (in cold weather I'm more likely to opt for a Buff).  They also do wool or a durable cotton blend.
  • It actually fits.  I have an unusually small head, at least in hats and headphones terms.  One-size-fits-none caps are usually either very bunched up at the back or loose enough to be prone to blowing away.  They do different sizes, so you can get a better fit.
  • The peak is a slightly better shape than my last one - less pointy in the middle.  It's also reinforced with some magic substance that seems to be immune to folding.
  • They do sensible plain colours without go-faster stripes or obnoxious logos, which is surprisingly rare in cycling-specific caps.  I'm never going to go fast under my own power, and I'd rather not advertise Campagnolo when my bike is Shimano throughout and SRAM are better than either  ;)
  • They do official Yehuda Moon caps.

Most importantly, it was less than 12 quid.  Including international shipping.  What's not to like?

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #26 on: 28 June, 2012, 08:42:38 pm »
I have to weigh in with Rapha love.  I was lucky enough to get given one (mwah! thanks!) and it's another perfect fit for another large head; three years on it's going like a proper METAL t-shirt, a suspicious grey and a suspicious smell, but it's my Cap of Choice.
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

« Reply #27 on: 28 June, 2012, 09:13:29 pm »
I saw an ACF cap last week end. Looked perfectly acceptable to me.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #28 on: 28 June, 2012, 09:17:00 pm »
It was most probably perched on TGL's bonce.  He likes his caps.
Getting there...

« Reply #29 on: 28 June, 2012, 11:27:13 pm »
Walz look as if they might do the job. Will take a tape measure to my head later.

I ended up getting a Walz, in "L / XL” - perfect, possibly even a bit big. Aside from the sizing, there is nothing special about the cap - basic and cheaply contracted, but it’s all you need.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #30 on: 29 June, 2012, 11:30:07 am »
I've killed a couple of traditional cycling caps now, both by breaking the rigid plastic bit that supports the peak while carelessly stuffing it in a jersey pocket or rack bag. 
Rigid plastic bit? That sounds like a baseball cap rather than any cycling cap I've ever worn.

I saw an ACF cap last week end. Looked perfectly acceptable to me.
I haz two and wuz wearing one yesterday!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #31 on: 29 June, 2012, 12:28:55 pm »
I have always used cotton type caps but the biggest drawback is the smell of them ( after a couple of weeks of use ).
I have a few so I can wear a clean one while I'm washing the others.

Back to the original point Re: too tight - I had a radioshack cap that was a bit tight. After a few washes the elastic either came undone or otherwise became ineffective and is now much comfier. I only wear them under helmets anyway, so the blowing away issue isn't there either. Someone else mentioned cutting the elastic out - have you tried that?

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #32 on: 29 June, 2012, 12:36:37 pm »
Rigid plastic bit? That sounds like a baseball cap rather than any cycling cap I've ever worn.

Definitely cycling caps.  You can tell by the size of the peak (which unlike a baseball cap, allows you to see where you're going on an upright bike, and not lose your cap to the airstream on a recumbent), and by the way one of them had "Campagnolo" written on it in large, swirly letters.

Both had peaks stiffened by a moderately flexible plastic insert, which suffers brittle failure if excessively bent.  Once cracked, the peak starts to droop in the middle, and the sharp corners of the cracked plastic start to damage the fabric from the inside.  The Walz offering seems to have avoided that problem by a better choice of material (it seems to be a high density fabric).

« Reply #33 on: 29 June, 2012, 06:18:11 pm »
I have a moisture wicking and two wool caps from Walz, one with earflaps. I do nearly all of my riding with the woollen one without earflaps. As shown on
http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidmam/7419358298/in/set-72157630234436112

The white line is salt. It will not disappear with a wash. I'll probably buy a new one like this later this year.
I think the moisture wicking one will smell horrid after a ride. I really have no idea what other reason I might have not to wear that one more often.
Forgive me Father, for I have sinned. It has been too many days since I have ridden through the night with a brevet card in my pocket...

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #34 on: 30 June, 2012, 12:02:01 am »

Definitely cycling caps.  You can tell by the size of the peak (which unlike a baseball cap, allows you to see where you're going on an upright bike, and not lose your cap to the airstream on a recumbent), and by the way one of them had "Campagnolo" written on it in large, swirly letters.

Both had peaks stiffened by a moderately flexible plastic insert, which suffers brittle failure if excessively bent.  Once cracked, the peak starts to droop in the middle, and the sharp corners of the cracked plastic start to damage the fabric from the inside.  The Walz offering seems to have avoided that problem by a better choice of material (it seems to be a high density fabric).
aha, I was thinking you were referring to the kind of plastic fastening and adjusting device often seen on baseball caps. I've just had a look at my cycling caps (I have 5, of 4 different makes  :o) and AFAICT only one, made by Knogg, seems to have a rigid plastic insert in the peak. The others (including one branded Campagnolo) seem to have rather flexible peaks, which actually work better IMO because they are easier to flip up or down according to rain, sun in eyes, etc. But I'm not going to take them apart to find out what's  inside them.

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #35 on: 30 June, 2012, 06:13:19 pm »
I have other caps but have used the Portsmouth CTC cap for the last 4 years (not the same one, you understand) and although this is made out of a man-made fabric, it is cool in the summer, warm in the winter and keeps the crap out of my eyes.

Yours for a £5 (send Postie a PM).

H

mmmmartin

• BPB 1/1: PBP 0/1
    • FNRttC
« Reply #36 on: 30 June, 2012, 06:45:44 pm »
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/412iQXne7VL._SX342_.jpg

was a tenner in my LBS today, all cotton, I like the retro look and it fits perfectly.
Besides, it wouldn't be audacious if success were guaranteed.

Gus

• Loosing weight stone by stone
    • We will return
« Reply #37 on: 30 June, 2012, 06:59:39 pm »
I've got an old Kelme cotton cap, an even older from a danish sportive. Both very well used in crap weather to keep the rain and crud
from my eyes.
I have a  new assos cap too, but it's not nearly as good yet, it needs many kilometers in poor weather before it's worn in.

« Reply #38 on: 01 July, 2012, 04:34:58 pm »
It may be the only cycling cap I have ever owned or worn, but I have a Walz. 3-panel yellow moisture-wicking with black 'racing stripe' and my initials because I'm that cool. It is very nice and it looks spiffing; so my wife doesn't think.  ;D 
'I am become me, destroyer of bicycles'

ianrauk

• Tattooed Beat Messiah
« Reply #39 on: 01 July, 2012, 08:42:10 pm »
I have a moisture wicking and two wool caps from Walz, one with earflaps. I do nearly all of my riding with the woollen one without earflaps. As shown on
http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidmam/7419358298/in/set-72157630234436112

The white line is salt. It will not disappear with a wash. I'll probably buy a new one like this later this year.
I think the moisture wicking one will smell horrid after a ride. I really have no idea what other reason I might have not to wear that one more often.

I also wear a moisture wicking Waltz cap and can confirm that they do not smell horrid after a ride.
Very well made caps imvho.

LEE

« Reply #40 on: 01 July, 2012, 11:03:03 pm »
I have a large bonce and find that the Prendas caps fit fine.

This one has served me well

http://www.prendas.co.uk/details.asp?typ=typ&fkid=39&ID=2828

« Reply #41 on: 02 July, 2012, 03:08:29 pm »
I've just ordered a Walz cap. There was no additional cost added fror P&P, so it ended up costing <£12. Did anyone else have to pay P&P?
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

« Reply #42 on: 02 July, 2012, 04:17:56 pm »
Those Walz caps don't look right to me. The peak points down too much and head shape's too flat, almost like a skull cap. They look more like a school cap.

Whereas cycling caps have a taller shape, like an upside down U, and the peak is more horizontal. And it's held on to you head by the elasticated bit, with space between the top of your head and the cap.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #43 on: 02 July, 2012, 05:51:10 pm »
I also wear a moisture wicking Waltz cap and can confirm that they do not smell horrid after a ride.
Very well made caps imvho.

Just bunged it (along with everything else I wore for the Dun Run and most of Sunday) in the wash.  I can confirm that the cap was smell-free, which is more than can be said for my mitts.  My jersey was still faintly nettle-flavoured.

I've just ordered a Walz cap. There was no additional cost added fror P&P, so it ended up costing <£12. Did anyone else have to pay P&P?

They do say free (international) shipping somewhere on the website.  I dunno if they charge for bulk orders.

ETA: found it:

Quote from: http://www.walzcaps.com/customerservice.html
Yes, we do ship internationally via USPS first class international mail. An added bonus is that on small international orders there is no additional charge for shipping, although you are still responsible for any customs fees on your end. We get a big kick out of the requests for Walz Caps from fabulous destinations around the world. We often wish we were as well traveled as our cycling caps. One day, we hope to come visit all of you!

We ship international orders once a week and USPS international shipping times vary. One order make take seven days and the next two weeks. We know that you are very excited to receive your caps and the delays may be agonizing, but it is still pretty amazing that our caps can travel from beautiful San Diego to anywhere in the world and you aren't paying extra for the travel. Please be patient and we promise your cap(s) will arrive. If it has been an excessively long time since you placed your order, email us and we can check your shipping dated. Usually the day you send us the email, your caps arrive. Some sort of post office magic.

Can't argue with that, can you?

Those Walz caps don't look right to me. The peak points down too much and head shape's too flat, almost like a skull cap. They look more like a school cap.

The shape is slightly different, in as much as it fits my head better and looks less dorky as a result.  YMMV.

The peak does point down quiet sharply, which works well for keeping flies and stuff out of my glasses in a recumbent position.  I've yet to try it on an upright bike, though.  Suspect it may prove to be annoying...

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #44 on: 02 July, 2012, 06:23:02 pm »

Whereas cycling caps have a taller shape, like an upside down U, and the peak is more horizontal. And it's held on to you head by the elasticated bit, with space between the top of your head and the cap.
You're right about the downward peak. Of course that may well work for some folk (e.g. Kim apparently). So no, doesn't look like a traditional cap.

But there is some variation in traditional caps. Some were a much boxier shape - you see some in Tour coverage from the days just before helmets took over . I've never owned one, but I think they look cooler than the rounder profile ones; or maybe it's just nostalgia lending something to those old pics. and I'm imagining it!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #45 on: 02 July, 2012, 08:40:01 pm »
These newer companies' caps are more like winter caps but they're still different, eg

Summer caps:

« Reply #46 on: 03 July, 2012, 09:57:49 am »
Thanks Kim. Very generous of them.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #47 on: 03 July, 2012, 04:51:48 pm »
The peak on the winter cap above looks a bit useless to me. Being almost vertically flat against the forehead it won't be any good for keeping rain, snow or low sun out of your eyes. Still, I suppose it would keep your forehead warm and and the lower sides would do the same for your ears. Well, almost. I'd be more inclined to combine a summer cap with a buff though for the best of visor and warmth. They didn't have buffs back then, did they? (Didn't they? Really?)

jimbhoy

« Reply #48 on: 03 July, 2012, 04:57:41 pm »
Took delivery of this today http://www.prendas.co.uk/details.asp?typ=typ&fkid=39&ID=2827 ordered on Sunday, arrived today and it
fits like a.....well a cap  :thumbsup:

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #49 on: 03 July, 2012, 05:00:25 pm »
There are plenty of winter caps around with normal-shaped peaks.

IMHO the easier route is to put a 'regular' woolly* hat over your summer cap - gives you more options and adjustability. Non-cycling winter wear is usually a lot better value than cycle-specific stuff.

(*Or use a buff; but they don't really cut it in proper cold weather, and are also over-priced!)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles