Author Topic: DOTD  (Read 210711 times)

Re: DOTD
« Reply #325 on: 03 June, 2015, 01:12:44 pm »
Road.cc had a comment from the cyclist on their story saying that he had been hit by the wing mirror.

« Reply #326 on: 03 June, 2015, 01:30:49 pm »
Road.cc had a comment from the cyclist on their story saying that he had been hit by the wing mirror.

Thanks.

Cyclist claims he was hit by wing mirror and driver accuses cyclist of hitting his car. At least they both agree there was contact...

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #327 on: 03 June, 2015, 01:38:48 pm »
I think he probably put a hand up against the car - he was nearly pushed into the kerb, it would have been difficult not to do so.

There is a bit on roadcc about this that seems to indicate police have had a word and possibly cautioned him.

The wing mirror makes contact with the cyclist (it gets bent in) - whether this was a result of the cyclists hitting it with his hand or being struck by the vehicle, you can't make out from the video. However, as the driver makes no mention of his vehicle being hit, I'd favour the latter explanation.

We all like to be youtube vid detectives, but I think you are reading too much into that, the distortion is as a result of the wide angle, there is no wobble, no sound of impact and the mirror adjustment remains good (you can see the driver), I'd say no contact.

Watch the original video at 2mins 15secs! Actually, the driver does accuse the cyclist of hitting his car and then adjusts his wing mirror with a push. Contact seems far more likely than not...
That's certainly how I saw it, and I'm not going to watch the video again.

The cyclist could maybe have handled the situation better by staying calm, but he was, not unreasonably, scared of someone who thought nothing of trying to hit someone with a large vehicle getting out and approaching aggressively.  Adrenaline levels must have been sky high, and the cyclist's comments start defensively, with 'Stay away!' or similar.  I wish I could say I would handle it better, but I know that my voice gets quite squeaky with adrenaline, so, although I am not at all an aggressive person, I can't really say that I would.
Getting there...

cygnet

• I'm part of the association
« Reply #328 on: 03 June, 2015, 10:43:59 pm »
The knob who loudly and aggressively berated another cyclo-commuter for 'impeding his progress' down the nearside of a coach on a road resticted to narrow two-way traffic due to road works. The beratee took it surprisingly calmly - simply responding that he 'didn't want to end up dead'.

A couple of seconds later as the coach moved off we both passed him stuck against the kerb due to the non-materialising of the gap he'd cocksurely assumed would open. He didn't even have the decency to apologise to the chap he'd just laid in to.
I Said, I've Got A Big Stick

« Reply #329 on: 06 June, 2015, 08:40:28 pm »
Going home last night and behind a car with the sign 'Great grandchildren on board' displayed in the back window. One of them may have been the child sat on the knee of the passenger in the front :o What could possibly go wrong?

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #330 on: 06 June, 2015, 09:09:35 pm »
Cut in half by the seat belt.
It is simpler than it looks.

Steph

• Fast. Fast and bulbous. But fluffy.
« Reply #331 on: 13 June, 2015, 01:36:22 am »
I remember witnessing a police officer I was working next to admonish a wankpanzer driver for where he had his small child: standing between his thighs and holding onto the steering wheel. FReply from driver? "What's it got to do with you?"

A full and frank* explanation of what it had to do with the copper then followed.

* and rather prolonged...
Mae angen arnaf i byw, a fe fydda'i

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #332 on: 14 June, 2015, 08:47:07 pm »
I remember once on the commute encountering a woman with a baby of about three or four months on her lap while driving. And she didn't have a seat belt on.  I was tempted to say something but I didn't want to interrupt her phone call.
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

« Reply #333 on: 14 June, 2015, 09:53:15 pm »
At least they live down to our expectations.

ian

« Reply #334 on: 15 June, 2015, 09:33:06 am »
I remember witnessing a police officer I was working next to admonish a wankpanzer driver for where he had his small child: standing between his thighs and holding onto the steering wheel. FReply from driver? "What's it got to do with you?"

A full and frank* explanation of what it had to do with the copper then followed.

Saw a chap sullenly pulling out the child-seat from the boot of his oversized people pram the other week, as his wife and little kid stood around on the pavement. Given the police car parked behind and the large officer of the law standing by, I presume it wasn't a voluntary rush of reason on the driver's part. I'm sure somehow that if there was an accident it would be the car's fault.

I remember a few years back my wife remonstrating with the driver of a Landrover who was letting his son 'drive' down a track by Ladybower Reservoir. You know what happens when the airbag deploys that close to your child's face? He apparently didn't know and didn't care. I don't have kids, but I can only assume they're easily replaceable if you break one.

HTFB

• The Monkey and the Plywood Violin
« Reply #335 on: 15 June, 2015, 11:09:57 am »
When I were a wean our parents used to think nowt of cramming us five to t'back seat, wi't'babbies in t'footwell and twa more of t'likely lads rattling around in t'boot. No air con in them days, so t'windows used to steam up a treat in t'winter. Come summer t'black plastic babby-seats left in t'sun would melt onto your skin soon as touch it. Seatbelts? We used to dream of seatbelts.
Not especially helpful or mature

« Reply #336 on: 15 June, 2015, 11:37:24 am »

Saw a chap sullenly pulling out the child-seat from the boot of his oversized people pram the other week, as his wife and little kid stood around on the pavement. Given the police car parked behind and the large officer of the law standing by, I presume it wasn't a voluntary rush of reason on the driver's part. I'm sure somehow that if there was an accident it would be the car's fault.

I remember a few years back my wife remonstrating with the driver of a Landrover who was letting his son 'drive' down a track by Ladybower Reservoir. You know what happens when the airbag deploys that close to your child's face? He apparently didn't know and didn't care. I don't have kids, but I can only assume they're easily replaceable if you break one.
My first 'drive' was sitting on my dad's lap at the wheel of a Series II Landrover crossing a field. Slightly different days !
Rust never sleeps

ian

« Reply #337 on: 15 June, 2015, 12:20:29 pm »
A couple of days ago about twenty of us had to cram into a old Toyota minibus that might have held about nine plus one in the front seat. It wasn't so bad, the 'conductor' had to hang onto the outside of the minibus so he could continue to hold shut the sliding side door, which at some point in history had lost any kind of locking mechanism. He didn't seem too troubled, he continued conversation by sticking his head back in through the window. My seat didn't have a back other than two pointy bits of metal, the exhaust seemed to be vented through the passenger cabin and the floor got so hot that I couldn't put my feet down. Suspension and shock absorbers were memory long before it was asked to carry twenty-plus recently fed people down a dirt road. Seat belts? We were so crammed in that really, in the event of a crash, none of us were going anywhere. A sign above the driver in Shona promised that God was in the driving seat. All I can say is that God has a heavy foot and a liking for beeping the horn.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #338 on: 15 June, 2015, 12:36:54 pm »
Dad's car got written off when the airbags deployed so I understand replacement is neither cheap nor simple.
Dad has thankfully had no need to replace any of his six children (three of whom are now grandparents so seem efficient at self-replicating...)

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #339 on: 15 June, 2015, 12:57:59 pm »
Dad's car got written off when the airbags deployed so I understand replacement is neither cheap nor simple.
Dad has thankfully had no need to replace any of his six children (three of whom are now grandparents so seem efficient at self-replicating...)

Simple, yes (usually just a couple of bolts and wiring plug) cheap, NO! I had an occasion to price up replacing a steering wheel airbag.  Not much left from 4 figures.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

ian

« Reply #340 on: 15 June, 2015, 01:13:59 pm »
The problem comes when someone's face is within the deployment range of the air bag (e.g. sitting on the driver's lap). It's a hefty bone-breaking smack as face meets explosively deploying plastic.

Zipperhead

• The cyclist formerly known as Big Helga
« Reply #341 on: 15 June, 2015, 02:03:27 pm »
Here's a demonstration of the forces released by Bulgarian funbags airbag:
https://youtu.be/w31E7myVDxU

When we were children in car restraint consisted of a rolled up newspaper, except when we were in grandad's car when we could stand on the front seat with our heads through the sunroof as he drove around.
Won't somebody think of the hamsters!

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #342 on: 15 June, 2015, 02:11:08 pm »
We had seatbelts or child harnesses at the back of the family car from 1964.
One of our next-door neighbour twins was killed by ejection in 1963.

« Reply #343 on: 15 June, 2015, 04:50:29 pm »
Are motorbike combinations still legal? An uncle used to bring his family in one down to London from Yorkshire on the A1, before Mways. Had to be particularly careful turning left........

Guy

• Retired
« Reply #344 on: 19 June, 2015, 08:47:17 am »
Man in his 20s with little boy of 5 or 6 waiting to cross the road. It was about 1/4 past 5 and quite busy. "When I say GO! we run across the road". He'd picked the widest part of the road, directly opposite the chip shop (guess where they were going). Traffic was quite heavy with only small gaps. They did make it across, thanks to the alertness of a Freelander driver, but what kind of idiot encourages a small child to run across a busy road?
"The Opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject"  Marcus Aurelius

« Reply #345 on: 19 June, 2015, 08:50:03 am »
what kind of idiot encourages a small child to run across a busy road?

cf Kevin Ward http://www.darwinawards.com/darwin/darwin2014-13.html

red marley

« Reply #346 on: 19 June, 2015, 09:02:02 am »

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #347 on: 19 June, 2015, 09:06:28 am »
In my day we had machines dedicated to encouraging such behaviour.
I thought that was going to be ice cream vans! Or pelican crossings with v short timings.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #348 on: 19 June, 2015, 09:16:01 am »
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

red marley

« Reply #349 on: 19 June, 2015, 09:19:07 am »
Ice cream vans would commonly have a "Mind that child!" exclamation painted on the back (do they still do that?). A clear statement that it should be drivers who need to take responsibility for ensuring they don't injure incautious children, not admonishments to people who dare stray into vehicle territory.